• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What Happened To Los Angeles?

On 4/20/2021 at 3:49 AM, WicketMaiden said:

A foreigner's view: The change from Anaheim Angels to LA Angels brought much more instant name recognition, whilst also bringing a certain glamour to the name by the association with LA. Nobody has heard of Anaheim over here (I had to look it up on a map when I started following the Angels in 2002) and LA conjures up images and associations of Hollywood, Beverley Hills, Sunset Boulevard, ideas of success, glamour and prosperity that simply aren't associated with the name Anaheim. This makes the team sound more glamorous and attractive to the casual observer and casual sports fan, and therefore makes the team a more enticing prospect for advertisers with a national and international reach. So purely from a marketing perspective it appears to benefit the franchise (the Pujols deal did a similar thing btw, it raised the consciousness of the Angels above that of the Angels fan base and into mainstream news whenever Albert chased another record). 

Having said all that, I still think it's a bit silly to the called the Angels Angels but there you go. California Angels would be my choice, but I guess the other Californian teams might object.

NB: We also associate Los Angeles with gridlock and drive-by shootings - which appears to be counter-intuitive at first glance, because how does one drive-by during gridlock? 

Ever heard of Disneyland? Guess what it's in Anaheim, is also the home of the the NHL The Anaheim Ducks...

2 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Ever heard of Disneyland? Guess what it's in Anaheim, is also the home of the the NHL The Anaheim Ducks...

Yes, heard of Disneyland. There's one four thousand miles away we know as Disneyland, Florida (I have no idea where in Florida); one a couple of hundred miles away we know as EuroDisney that's somewhere near Paris (I have no idea how far away from Paris it is or what the town it is situated in is called); and there's one over five thousand miles away in California, we know as Disneyland, California (I learned that that one was in Anaheim after I became interested in the Anaheim Angels and looked it up on a map). Anaheim isn't marketed in Europe and unless you are booking a holiday to Disneyland, California we have no reason to hear of it. The name just doesn't play here.

NHL has zero mainstream traction in the UK. If you asked a thousand Brits to name an ice hockey player the top and possibly only answer you would get would be Wayne Gretzky.

25 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

Yes, heard of Disneyland. There's one four thousand miles away we know as Disneyland, Florida (I have no idea where in Florida); one a couple of hundred miles away we know as EuroDisney that's somewhere near Paris (I have no idea how far away from Paris it is or what the town it is situated in is called); and there's one over five thousand miles away in California, we know as Disneyland, California (I learned that that one was in Anaheim after I became interested in the Anaheim Angels and looked it up on a map). Anaheim isn't marketed in Europe and unless you are booking a holiday to Disneyland, California we have no reason to hear of it. The name just doesn't play here.

NHL has zero mainstream traction in the UK. If you asked a thousand Brits to name an ice hockey player the top and possibly only answer you would get would be Wayne Gretzky.

On 4/19/2021 at 2:58 PM, daygloman said:

The name change was a bad decision. 

The ONLY thing they got "right" was not putting "Los Angeles" on the gear.

You are right as always, Bobby. The decision for Los Angeles was a poor one and uneccessary to boot. Everyone has heard of Anaheim/Orange County and can make the connection to the L.A. Market. I Think Arte is a good man, but he did make a mistake with the name.

12 hours ago, Puget Sound Angel said:

So the Cowboys, Jets, Giants, Pistons, etc, and god knows how many other teams can play in the suburbs and keep  their city's name but we can't because we are afraid of being flipped sh!t?

I will explain this one more time, so please pay attention:

Adding the "Los Angeles" name was a brilliant stroke of marketing genius.  It magically, instantly, added hundreds of millions, if not billions of dollars into Arte's pocket.  People from Wabash, Indiana all the way to Copenhagen, Denmark were now immediately interested in the Los Angeles Angels.  Because Los Angeles.

However, at the same time, Arte (again playing seven-dimensional chess while everyone else was playing checkers) determined that calling the Los Angeles Angels the "Los Angeles Angels" in Los Angeles was a bad marketing move.  Why?  How would I know, I am just a CPA.  As far as I can reckon, there must be a force-field around southern California that brings negative marketing vibes to Arte and the Angels if the Los Angeles name is used on any merchandise.

Make sense?  No?  Good.

33 minutes ago, cals said:

My favorite part is the bit about the seven-dimensional chess.

That shit must make Strad fume. 

Not at all.  I find it funny that grown ups are still pissed about the name change.  To me it was simple, and it is possible I simply don’t understand it the way a CPA understands it, but I assumed the name change was for Advertising Dollars on a TV contract.  I assumed the lack of LA as part of the brand was about the fan base.  I mean there are always going to be sensitive people that get bent about name changes because they are simply sensitive.  I don’t get the personality trait that pretends to be above it all and not care about things, gets bent about Arte and Los Angeles.  So which is the act?

there's LA Angels hats for sale on line - 

have not been to the team store at the ballpark for forever it seems - but I would think they have some LA Angels caps for sale there - the original LA Angels caps - from Wrigley Field (Los Angeles).

the old Anaheim road jerseys were pretty sharp - I don't think they have those readily available these days,.

oh well.

I thought making the change to Los Angeles Angels was a smart marketing move but most here - Anaheim / OC loyalists - nothing wrong with that - disagreed and continue to disagree therefore the Angels do not take full advantage of the Los Angeles name (I think they have put it on their road jerseys these days?) and they should.

the rest of the country has no clue where Anaheim is -- to them California consists of Los Angeles and San Francisco and that's it.  Maybe it's gotten better over time with today's instant media but I somehow doubt it.

with that being said - Los Angeles, Anaheim or California Angels - we still need pitching,.