• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: White Sox Vs Angels 4/4/2021 (ESPN Broadcast - Ohtani on the mound, batting second!!)

Just now, Jason said:

Looking at that makes me wonder if they got crossed up a bit as Stassi isn’t even set up for that pitch 

Yeah - it looked like they got the signals mixed up, as a catcher who is expecting that pitch almost assuredly doesn't mis-catch that.  He compounded that mistake with his lame throw, too.

2 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I don’t agree with Trent here.  It’s April 4th.  We all know about Ohtani’s issues.  He’s doing a lot of baseball stuff.  Pulling him when he’s obviously starting to labor when he’s right around his planning pitch limit against the league MVP isn’t an expression of doubt.  It would be good if we have Ohtani the entire season and hopefully in October.  Why push it ? I don’t think it has anything to do with proving your faith in your guy.  The Angels are showing tons of faith in Shohei, rightly.  We were at the point where you should do what is wise.  I don’t think Joe handled it wisely.  Personally. 

Personally, this is my feeling as well.  Last year, Ohtani got injured when Maddon kinda waited him out and let him throw a ton of pitches in one inning.  I feel like if this was the 6th inning, he would have pulled Ohtani out earlier, and he was just trying to help him get the win.  

It's a very long season.  I'd rather see Ohtani "gut it out" later on if we are in the midst of a playoff run, not really in his first game of the season.  I understand why he did it and can see the value in it, but I would have just preferred to have pulled him when he was clearly battling his control and the pitches were mounting in that inning.

2 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Yeah - it looked like they got the signals mixed up, as a catcher who is expecting that pitch almost assuredly doesn't mis-catch that.  He compounded that mistake with his lame throw, too.

Ultimately the lame throw is what cost them. Oh well, Angels are now winning and there’s still a lot of game left 

Just now, Jason said:

Ultimately the lame throw is what cost them. Oh well, Angels are now winning and there’s still a lot of game left 

The bigger concern is Ohtani's health of course.  He's looked really solid at the plate, having him miss any time will be a bummer.

15 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

The big issue (for me), is the correlation between fatigue and injury and a guy on the mound that hasn't pitched much in four years.  I was having Terry Collins/Ken Hill flashbacks.

Now we get to see if there is any carryover.

Do we know what his pitch count was going into tonight? I think he was around 70 pitches before that play 

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

?  Other than the shortened year last year, this is actually literally the exact opposite of what he's been.

Yeah.  The question with Stassi before was if he was ever going to hit enough to be a regular, because his defense was great but his bat was awful.  

4 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I don’t agree with Trent here.  It’s April 4th.  We all know about Ohtani’s issues.  He’s doing a lot of baseball stuff.  Pulling him when he’s obviously starting to labor when he’s right around his planning pitch limit against the league MVP isn’t an expression of doubt.  It would be good if we have Ohtani the entire season and hopefully in October.  Why push it ? I don’t think it has anything to do with proving your faith in your guy.  The Angels are showing tons of faith in Shohei, rightly.  We were at the point where you should do what is wise.  I don’t think Joe handled it wisely.  Personally. 

Trent Rush is an old-school, analytics-hating kid. He eats up garbage like that which has been shown to be detrimental to health, as well as not even ideal from a competitive standpoint more often than not.