• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Spring Training News & Notes Thread

Chuck

7 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

If you want your best players on team would Chris Rodriquez be one? I like him in bullpen to start season. It will depend on rest of spring. 

I wouldn’t necessarily say I’d put him on the Opening Day roster, but in my fantasy land head, he’s in the Angels pen a good chunk of this season, along with Sandoval and Yan. This is their best shot at having a bullpen with dominant, electric stuff this year.

Edited by totdprods

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

I guess what I’m getting at, another way of saying it, is that I imagine Rodriguez probably will have some sort of innings limit. I can’t imagine going from 9 pro innings over 3 years to a full season in even a minor league rotation would be a realistic workload.

So if you’re going to limit him in some capacity, perhaps it would be better for his development and the Angels sense of urgency if he worked 60 innings in the bigs in relief/spot starts instead of ~100 innings as a AA SP.

Get him some reps here, challenge him and see if he sticks then stretch him out next year in AAA and try to build up to a typical SP workload.

This makes 0 sense to me whatsoever. But that could just be me.

2 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Jim Abbott debuted in the majors without pitching in the minors.  So did Eddie Bane, of all people.

Chuck Finley only threw about 40 IP in the minors before he was called up.

Quite a few others spent no time in the minors before debuting.  Here's a list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_baseball_players_who_went_directly_to_Major_League_Baseball

I thought "Hard Luck" Harvey Haddox never pitched in the minors.  Guess i was wrong.

29 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Chris Rodriguez throws a few good pitches in one spring training game and the AW faithful do what they always do...

You are right only few pitches. If his stuff is as good as everyone is saying and has a great (not good) spring why not. 5 losing seasons everybody saying we are wasting Trout's prime put best players on your team.

Francisco Rodriguez flew up to the pen quickly too.

Look if he rusty and he isn’t ready, he isn’t ready. And I’m not thinking he’ll make the Opening Day squad even if he’s brilliant this month. In fact, he shouldn’t. I’d put NRIs like Guerra on the club first to maintain depth. 

But if we’re a month or two in, and he’s performing really well in AA and we have a shaky pen, I’d think it would be better for club and player if they brought him up and let him pitch the bulk of the season from the pen.

43 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Francisco Rodriguez flew up to the pen quickly too.

Look if he rusty and he isn’t ready, he isn’t ready. And I’m not thinking he’ll make the Opening Day squad even if he’s brilliant this month. In fact, he shouldn’t. I’d put NRIs like Guerra on the club first to maintain depth. 

But if we’re a month or two in, and he’s performing really well in AA and we have a shaky pen, I’d think it would be better for club and player if they brought him up and let him pitch the bulk of the season from the pen.

He isn't a reliever.

14 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Didn’t say he would be for any time other than ‘21. And it would be temporary.

I just don't see the benefit. Obviously I could be wrong, I just think he needs to be stretched out as much as possible as a starter instead of getting random spot appearances as a reliever.