• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Spring Training News & Notes Thread

Chuck

2 minutes ago, eligrba said:

Anyone paying attention to what Maddon is saying about building a winning clubhouse culture? 

He said the same things last season, but to be fair a pandemic put the brakes on that clubhouse momentum and commodore. 

I think we give Joe a pass this season and I was very critical of him last year unfairly.  

9 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

He said the same things last season, but to be fair a pandemic put the brakes on that clubhouse momentum and commodore. 

I think we give Joe a pass this season and I was very critical of him last year unfairly.  

Maybe l didn't pay attention last year.  He recently made a comment about Suzuki saying that he is important because he will be another adult in the clubhouse. I am getting the idea that Joe saw a problem and is addressing it. 

1 hour ago, eligrba said:

Maybe l didn't pay attention last year.  He recently made a comment about Suzuki saying that he is important because he will be another adult in the clubhouse. I am getting the idea that Joe saw a problem and is addressing it. 

As a coach I think this kind of stuff is both overrated and underrated. When you have talent, winning covers a multitude of sins and spite. But a strong clubhouse can make everyone on their best game. I am not, not, not going to pretend I think this pitching staff is capable of taking us deep into the playoffs. But there are some things I am seeing that are valuable, and guys like Cobb, Fowler, and Suzuki may be here simply to set the culture for the other guys to follow. I think if anyone knows what it takes to have a successful clubhouse, it's Maddon. 

9 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Winning makes for a good clubhouse.

Maddon addressed that. His point was simply how do you win? Obviously it's a philosophical answer he was referring.  After watching the Scioscia Angels not win as many playoffs as they should have,  I think Joe might be on to something.  

But I will say, the proper combination of personalities can create a clubhouse culture that results in winning. Before the plandemic, I coached basketball. The first couple of seasons, my teams were awful, but once I was brought into a bigger program with established pride, it became easier for the students to buy-in.

Those kids would've run through a wall for me, and vice versa, and we won two league titles and a section title. It may have had less to do with my coaching and more to do with "dying to self". Sacrificing individual appeasement for the team. We not me. I know it's cliche but it has far reaching impacts beyond just basketball. 

I think that's who they got in Cobb, Quintana, Suzuki and Fowler. Yes, they're still ball players and will help in terms of talent. But if they can get the team to buy-in to what Joe is selling then I think their value goes beyond WAR.