• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Spring Training News & Notes Thread

Chuck

10 minutes ago, Second Base said:

But I will say, the proper combination of personalities can create a clubhouse culture that results in winning. Before the plandemic, I coached basketball. The first couple of seasons, my teams were awful, but once I was brought into a bigger program with established pride, it became easier for the students to buy-in.

Those kids would've run through a wall for me, and vice versa, and we won two league titles and a section title. It may have had less to do with my coaching and more to do with "dying to self". Sacrificing individual appeasement for the team. We not me. I know it's cliche but it has far reaching impacts beyond just basketball. 

I think that's who they got in Cobb, Quintana, Suzuki and Fowler. Yes, they're still ball players and will help in terms of talent. But if they can get the team to buy-in to what Joe is selling then I think their value goes beyond WAR. 

I think that's what Joe is referring to.  I was surprised when Joe said that certain clubhouse veterans are important to have in keeping young players from feeling entitled.

I am not in the clubhouse and don't know anyone who is, I just find these quotes as being surprisingly candid.

Baseball America's - 12 MLB Players Looking To Carry Hot Finishes Into 2021

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/12-mlb-players-looking-to-carry-hot-finishes-into-2021/

Griffin Canning, RHP, Angels

First six starts: 0-3, 4.88, 7.5 K/9, 3.9 BB/9
Last five starts: 2-0, 3.14, 10.4 K/9, 3.5 BB/9

Canning struggled with his command early and completed five innings only once in his first six starts. He figured it out by the end of the season and pitched at least five innings in four of his final five outings, including a career-high eight innings against the Mariners on Aug. 30. He capped his surge with a career-high 10 strikeouts against the Padres in his final start of the year.

Justin Upton, OF, Angels

First 20 games: .099/.167/.225
Last 22 games: .303/.398/.605

Upton began the year 7-for-71 with 28 strikeouts and was demoted to a part-time role at one point. He began receiving more consistent at-bats again at the end of August and quietly was one of the American League’s best hitters over the final month of the season, cutting his strikeout rate by more than half from the start of the year and getting to his power with five doubles and six home runs in 22 games.

1 hour ago, eligrba said:

I think that's what Joe is referring to.  I was surprised when Joe said that certain clubhouse veterans are important to have in keeping young players from feeling entitled.

I am not in the clubhouse and don't know anyone who is, I just find these quotes as being surprisingly candid.

I believe it was Fletcher who said a guy like Fowler gives Adell a bar to clear. And by making that bar relatively low, you give Adell something realistic to shoot for. You are basically telling Adell he won't come up until he's better than Fowler. And on the plus side, Fowler is a perfect guy to mentor Adell. 

By this logic, signing a guy like Joc or Rosario wouldn't accomplish that.