• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

New Pitching Coach-Jered Weaver(?)

JoJo26

I’d just prefer he come to the team as maybe the assistant pitching coach so he can learn the job from maybe someone who has experience.  Also Chuck I wasn’t questioning Weaver outside of whether or not he would have the right demeanor to be an effective coach.  Pitching coach isn’t about attitude, Weaver has that in spades.  It is about finding the tinniest of flaws or inconsistencies in release points.  

It's probably too late to do so now, but I think the Angels should join many other teams around the league in having 3 pitching coaches. (Pitching Coach, Ast. Pitching Coach, and Bullpen Coach).

If the Angels had 3 pitching coaches, replacing Callaway wouldn't be as big of a burden as it is right now.

The Angels already have three hitting coaches, so we know they're not against having many coaches who specialize in the same area.

10 minutes ago, Trendon said:

It's probably too late to do so now, but I think the Angels should join many other teams around the league in having 3 pitching coaches. (Pitching Coach, Ast. Pitching Coach, and Bullpen Coach).

If the Angels had 3 pitching coaches, replacing Callaway wouldn't be as big of a burden as it is right now.

The Angels already have three hitting coaches, so we know they're not against having many coaches who specialize in the same area.

So we would have Butcher, Wise and Weaver?

Just now, Stradling said:

So we would have Butcher, Wise and Weaver?

They theoretically could do that. I just don't think it's likely they do that this year. Maybe they do it next year though.

I don't think Weaver is a good fit as the primary pitching coach, but perhaps they could even add him as a consultant. Like he could show up and be around the team in ST and home games, but not travel on the road all the time.

On 2/6/2021 at 10:53 PM, JoJo26 said:

Let's get some fire in that dugout. J Weav.

Dude learned from Lackey about work ethic {before the Boston fried chicken party}. Dude stayed with the Halos when offered more $. 

Halos need to dump Coach dickpick - and keep it homegrown. WEAV....

Thoughts:

This is still an A+ post. The way it's written is almost poetic.

On 2/7/2021 at 9:52 AM, Dtwncbad said:

When was he offered more money?  Uh, never.  It was an extension deal.

https://www.espn.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/6889644/jered-weaver-bucks-scott-boras-advice-new-los-angeles-angels-deal 

"... left tens of millions on the table by signing 15 months before he reached free agency. He might have been able to get a deal that approaches the seven-year, $161 million contract CC Sabathia signed with the Yankees before the 2009 season...."

14 minutes ago, JoJo26 said:

https://www.espn.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/6889644/jered-weaver-bucks-scott-boras-advice-new-los-angeles-angels-deal 

"... left tens of millions on the table by signing 15 months before he reached free agency. He might have been able to get a deal that approaches the seven-year, $161 million contract CC Sabathia signed with the Yankees before the 2009 season...."

I have been around on this plenty of times.  Sorry.  It was an extension and he got as much as he could get.  Yes, he could have likely secured more money if he waited to become a free agent.  So what?  He chose not to.  He also could have blown out his elbow and secured nothing.

It was a very square fair deal for Weaver and the Angels.  I think they were both also very smart to frame the whole thing as such a feel good, stay at home, sign at a “discount” (compared to a possible free agent contract) narrative.  Except it was an extension and he had zero other options when he signed, so he didn’t leave a dime on the table.  He simply chose to secure the most possible money he could secure for his exact circumstance.

But glad you bought into him signing for a discount.  It worked on lots of people.

You know, I sold the Amazon stock I had purchased for $600 a share for about $1500 a share.  I wanted to lock down that money while it was real and in my lap.  I guess I am also a hero for selling at a “discount” (the most I could possibly get the day I made the deal, just like Weaver) and should be celebrated for selling at a discount?

Look I was a big Weaver fan.  But the dude was really smart to just sign an extension for an amount of me it that made him filthy rich.  The deal he got was pretty comparable to some other extension deals at the time.

But this narrative that he left tens of millions on the table is just inaccurate.  He wasn’t a free agent and he got every dime he could get based on his situation.

Edited by Dtwncbad

• 1 year later...
6 minutes ago, Taylor said:

bump

Why are you bumping this?

Matt Wise is the permanent pitching coach. He had the interim label lifted midseason last year. He has not been fired or replaced.

https://www.mlb.com/angels/roster/coaches

This still lists Gallego as bench and we know he's been reassigned. And Nevin (first or third), Gil (?), and Montgomery (Bench) are not listed. Nor is Haselman (Catching?). But Hines, Butterfield, and Molina are not listed.

If they Hire Eaton as the 1st base / outfield coach, Gil would probably be infield coach.

The Bullpen coach is listed as Dom Chiti. That was Wise's role before Callaway was suspended and then fired.

Weaver may be an excellent coach, who knows, but right now the job is Wise's.

The “let’s bring in an old Angel favorite” to be a coach always assumes they want to coach and that they would be any good at it. Usually when a name comes up we know neither.  Kinda silly.

How about no experiments?  Let’s shoot for established, quality coaches.

Edited by Dtwncbad

32 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

The “let’s bring in an old Angel favorite” to be a coach always assumes they want to coach and that they would be any good at it. Usually when a name comes up we know neither.  Kinda silly.

How about no experiments?  Let’s shoot for established, quality coaches.

In the other sports I follow (and know more intimately than baseball) the best coaches are very rarely formerly successful players, is that the case in baseball too? It's such a completely different skill-set I would imagine so, but I don't really know the wider landscape of baseball well enough to judge.