• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Joe Maddon hoping for Angels to add multiple starting pitchers

AngelsWin.com

8 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

So far in the off-season, with regard to acquiring real starting pitching:

Snorrreeee, tic toc tic toc

Snorrreeee, tic toc tic toc

Only 5 weeks to ST

Bauer's market will begin heating up this week, with some teams dropping out and others disparaging themselves from the pack. This will have multiple effects on the market. 

Teams that drop out will aggressively pursue the plan B's immediately, so their markets will heat up, and when word leaks about the figures being exchanged it'll give other free agents a place to start from in negotiations. The higher that goes, the more take will turn to the trade market. 

Bauer's market has probably already shrunk down to five teams, with the Mets pulling out. The Angels, Dodgers, Blue Jays, Mariners and....

My guess is Bauer makes his decision the week after next, and then we'll see a flurry of moves. Realmuto, Odorizzi, Tanaka, Quintana, Richards all coming off the board within a week of Bauer signing, Musgrove and Sonny Gray being dealt. 

11 hours ago, BritAngel said:

As long as 2 of those moves involves the angels then I'm fine, not including realmuto😨

Watch Realmuto be one of them.

Something to ponder: after signing Colon 17 years ago, the ONLY solid starter signed as a FA since then was Nibs.

Yet, Arte signed GMJ, Hunter, Pujols, Hamilton, and Rendon.

There seems to be a disconnect between Arte and FA pitchers.

One would think that having Callaway here would enhance bringing in solid FA pitchers?

Edited by Angel Oracle

3 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Watch Realmuto be one of them.

Something to ponder: after signing Colon 17 years ago, the ONLY solid starter signed as a FA since then was Nibs.

There seems to be a disconnect between Arte and FA pitchers.

That or Arte undervalues pitchers and is unwilling to overpay what he thinks they're worth. I would think it would be a front office issue, but for pretty much Arte's entire tenure as owner, we've never handed out any really big deals to pitchers. CJ was really the closest we've gotten. 

13 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

That or Arte undervalues pitchers and is unwilling to overpay what he thinks they're worth. I would think it would be a front office issue, but for pretty much Arte's entire tenure as owner, we've never handed out any really big deals to pitchers. CJ was really the closest we've gotten. 

He offered Cole a HUGE contract. 

30 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

15 minutes ago, Lou said:

He offered Cole a HUGE contract. 

What'd I say? 

I *didn't* say he wouldn't spend money on pitching. I said he's shown no evidence he'll overpay what he values them at. If he had, we probably wouldn't be talking about pitching issues. 

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Let’s hope strongly that Canning,  Detmers, CRod, Kochanowicz, and Yan is the start of FINALLY developing their own!

Canning - Potential #2, floor is injury prone 5th starter. Likely outcome is low-end mid rotation starter. 

Detmers - Potential #2, floor is Joe Saunders-like back end starter. Likely outcome is mid rotation lefty. 

Rodriguez - Potential ace, floor is injury prone bullpen arm. Likely outcome is.....I really don't know. Depends on his health. Maybe mid rotation starter. 

Kochanowicz - Potential ace. Floor is depth fodder. For now, likely outcome is too early. But low end mid rotation starter maybe? 

Yan - Potential mid rotation lefty that sticks to 4-5 innings. Floor is depth fodder. Likely outcome is solid reliever. 

So from this collection, I think you're looking at possibly 4 mid rotation starters and a reliever. 

Does this classify as developing their own? It certainly gives them a core of 3-4-5-6 starters they'd have around for cheap. When you have that, the money you save can be spent on top of the rotation starters. 

It isn't the homegrown rotation you dream of, but it's more than they've had in a solid half decade.