• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

ESPN on what it might take to trade for Snell

floplag

Onley posted this, thought i would pass it on
https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/30525800/here-take-trade-tampa-bay-rays-ace-blake-snell-do-it

The TLDR is that they think TB would want to dump Keirmaier to make the deal... here is what they suggested for us as a possibility...  Now i dont agree with moving Trout, but Keirmeier would fill in nicely in right and possibly solve that problem for the year?   Hes owed 23M over the next two plus option year with buyout.  Not much of a bat but nice OBP and LH option. 

So... what do people think?  would you make that deal?  Normally i think i might not, and i would prfer Barria to Suarez if they get Detmers... BUT, this franchise needs to get Trout a win, a title, something so i might go this route given that.  

We take on about 20-25M per in that scenario, which limits other move... but if we could do this AND land Bauer?  

5. Los Angeles Angels: Yes, the Angels have a center fielder. Nothing against Mr. Mike Trout, but he would make one hell of a left fielder. The Angels are also in on Bauer, so a Bauer/Snell scenario would also be a coup for them (minus deGrom to front the rotation).

Trade idea: Jo Adell, Reid Detmers, Jose Suarez and Kyren Paris for Snell and Kiermaier. I'm not sure either team makes this trade. Adell was a top-10 prospect entering 2020 but struggled mightily in the majors (.161, 55 strikeouts, seven walks) and needs more seasoning. Maybe Brandon Marsh, another outfield prospect, is a fit. Detmers was the team's first-round pick in 2020 out of Louisville, a lefty with good command of a low-90s fastball; he's more of a high-floor prospect than a high-ceiling one.

3 minutes ago, floplag said:

Onley posted this, thought i would pass it on
https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/30525800/here-take-trade-tampa-bay-rays-ace-blake-snell-do-it

The TLDR is that they think TB would want to dump Keirmaier to make the deal... here is what they suggested for us as a possibility...  Now i dont agree with moving Trout, but Keirmeier would fill in nicely in right and possibly solve that problem for the year?   Hes owed 23M over the next two plus option year with buyout.  Not much of a bat but nice OBP and LH option. 

So... what do people think?  would you make that deal?  Normally i think i might not, and i would prfer Barria to Suarez if they get Detmers... BUT, this franchise needs to get Trout a win, a title, something so i might go this route given that.  

We take on about 20-25M per in that scenario, which limits other move... but if we could do this AND land Bauer?  

5. Los Angeles Angels: Yes, the Angels have a center fielder. Nothing against Mr. Mike Trout, but he would make one hell of a left fielder. The Angels are also in on Bauer, so a Bauer/Snell scenario would also be a coup for them (minus deGrom to front the rotation).

Trade idea: Jo Adell, Reid Detmers, Jose Suarez and Kyren Paris for Snell and Kiermaier. I'm not sure either team makes this trade. Adell was a top-10 prospect entering 2020 but struggled mightily in the majors (.161, 55 strikeouts, seven walks) and needs more seasoning. Maybe Brandon Marsh, another outfield prospect, is a fit. Detmers was the team's first-round pick in 2020 out of Louisville, a lefty with good command of a low-90s fastball; he's more of a high-floor prospect than a high-ceiling one.

If we replaced Detmers with one of Yan, Barria or Sandoval I would do it. 

I would say that's a realistic offer.  I would fight hard to get Detmers subbed out though, because we need good, young pitching, and he is one of our few pitchers.  I would try to sub in Jackson or someone else instead.

Kiermaier, as ESPN notes, would actually be a nice add.  I mentioned it in another thread, but by adding Kiermaier, you tremendously upgrade the defense in both CF AND LF all at once, as Kiermaier is the best defensive CF in the game, and Trout would likely become the best defensive LF in the game.  Considering Minasian has been emphasizing "run prevention," that would seem to be a fantastic way to upgrade two OF defense spots with one single move.

If we did that, I'd argue that we'd have a top 5 defensive team in baseball, with great defense at 3B, SS, 2B, CF, LF, and probably C.  1B should be fine with Walsh, and RF is TBD, depending on who fills the spot.  

Yeah this is a hard no. Keirmaier is a great defender but not great with the bat at all. He hit .217 last season, .228 the year before that, and .217 the year before that. His OPS hovers in the .650-.683 range last three seasons and without much Power. His season high in HR is 15.

Arguably, Brandon Marsh can do this same thing right now. For the league minimum.

If they sign a platoon lefty, who gets say 20-30 games in left field and 70-80 in right field they need to do more than play good defense. They need to hit, so I’d say Joc Pederson is preferred. 

Snell looked great in the World Series but he is the one I like the least out of the three trade targets rumored most often.

Rays don’t need to trade him so they won’t unless they get a ridiculous offer. 

5 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Yeah this is a hard no. Keirmaier is a great defender but not great with the bat at all. He hit .217 last season, .228 the year before that, and .217 the year before that. His OPS hovers in the .650-.683 range last three seasons and without much Power. His season high in HR is 15.

Arguably, Brandon Marsh can do this same thing right now. For the league minimum.

If they sign a platoon lefty, who gets say 20-30 games in left field and 70-80 in right field they need to do more than play good defense. They need to hit, so I’d say Joc Pederson is preferred. 

Snell looked great in the World Series but he is the one I like the least out of the three trade targets rumored most often.

Rays don’t need to trade him so they won’t unless they get a ridiculous offer. 

Great defender is probably underselling his abilities.  He has consistently rated as the best defensive CF in the game for years now.  For a CFer, that's huge.  It'd also create the domino effect of shifting Trout to LF, where he'll likely be one of the best defensive LFers in the game, and a tremendous defensive upgrade over having Upton out there.  It'd be a way that a single move creates two huge defensive upgrades, much in the same way that acquiring Iglesias did the same (with Fletcher shifting to 2B).

The more I think about it, the more I really hope we can swing a deal for both Snell + Keirmaier, as it'd just do so much to help our team on the whole.

3 minutes ago, floplag said:

Im not sure i assume Trout to LF, why not Right?  Upton sure cant play Right.    If we did this my assumption is that Trout or Keirmeier would shift to RF

I don't know if Trout's arm plays up in RF.

I would assume doing the above might shift Upton into more of a part-time role.  He could become the primary DH when Ohtani sits and start occasionally in LF, with Trout starting occasionally in CF when Kaiermeir is off or sits against tough LHP.

4 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I don't know if Trout's arm plays up in RF.

I would assume doing the above might shift Upton into more of a part-time role.  He could become the primary DH when Ohtani sits and start occasionally in LF, with Trout starting occasionally in CF when Kaiermeir is off or sits against tough LHP.

ok but heres the thing, right now we have no RF.  Upton certainly doesnt play in RF.  You may be right but unless Marsh is ready are you starting Ward or Walsh in RF? 
Trout has a better shot in RF than Upton does 🙂

4 minutes ago, floplag said:

ok but heres the thing, right now we have no RF.  Upton certainly doesnt play in RF.  You may be right but unless Marsh is ready are you starting Ward or Walsh in RF? 
Trout has a better shot in RF than Upton does 🙂

"Right now" is the operative word there.  We'll have to see how the rest of the offseason plays out.

5 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

"Right now" is the operative word there.  We'll have to see how the rest of the offseason plays out.

Fair enough but i dont see them signing 2 OF.  i would prfer Pederson for example or someone like that but if Keirmeier is the cost of snell, we wont have another 10M plus to add another OF. 

Just now, floplag said:

Fair enough but i dont see them signing 2 OF.  i would prfer Pederson for example or someone like that but if Keirmeier is the cost of snell, we wont have another 10M plus to add another OF. 

Again im not championing this, just tossing it out there for discussion purposes 

1 minute ago, floplag said:

Yeah, that's fair.  We did sign Schebler, who has at least proven himself to be, at worst, a replacement level OF, and has been better than that most of the time.

He could be a possible platoon OF in RF, depending on how things pan out.

I know he’s a great defender (or best in the league or otherworldly or whatever) and the Angels need help defensively but more in ten corners than in Center. 

Trout is fine in CF and isn’t moving anytime soon. Maybe in 2023 or 24 he moves to a corner spot. Not before then.

Keirmaier is wasted in a corner, and he doesn’t hit well enough. With the state of the pitching staff, even with Snell, they can’t afford a black hole in the lineup especially with uncertainty at catcher and no idea what Iglesias gives you at short.

And lastly, Keirmaier isn’t a durable player the past few years and can’t be counted on to play.

There are better and more affordable fits in the OF like Pederson or Puig or Almora or Santana.

7 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I know he’s a great defender (or best in the league or otherworldly or whatever) and the Angels need help defensively but more in ten corners than in Center. 

Trout is fine in CF and isn’t moving anytime soon. Maybe in 2023 or 24 he moves to a corner spot. Not before then.

Keirmaier is wasted in a corner, and he doesn’t hit well enough. With the state of the pitching staff, even with Snell, they can’t afford a black hole in the lineup especially with uncertainty at catcher and no idea what Iglesias gives you at short.

And lastly, Keirmaier isn’t a durable player the past few years and can’t be counted on to play.

There are better and more affordable fits in the OF like Pederson or Puig or Almora or Santana.

I agree, but the point is that hes the cost of getting Snell, which many seem to want.
If we could wriggle some of the names a little, it might make some sense.   
Like i said just tossing it out there for something to talk about 🙂

3 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Definitely a realistic trade, but definitely not one I would make.

That's our former top prospect, plus our top pitching prospect and our top SS prospect gone. Almost impossible to swallow. 

Yeah, it's a load. It would be a long and hard discussion, but hopefully neither side chokes. It really would be the climax of the off-season. There's a lot of build up to this potential trade though. It would come with a huge relief though on the Rays part, financially speaking. Snell isn't some slap-dick prospect though. His fastball is firm and he's very experienced in big situations like this. 

Penis.

I’d rather take on Blackmon to get German Marquez.

I wonder if you could restructure his deal by guaranteeing salary that is options. He’s owed 62 /3 if he exercises both options and makes all incentives.  

Maybe get the Rockies to pay 11 over the next two season which reduces it to 17 AAV.