• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels will draft 9th overall in 2021

mmc

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Don't the Pirates always draft first? Why do they still suck?

The last time the Pirates picked #1 was 2011. They nailed it with Garret Cole.

Astros picked first three drafts in a row from 2012-2014. They picked Correa and the other two picks were busts.

The Diamondbacks in 2015 picked Swanson and was traded to Atlanta. 

The Phillies pick outfielder Moniak in 2016. He hasn't shown first pick value.

The Tigers picked up Auburn pitcher Mize that did well in AA last season and was rushed up to the majors this year. Did not perform all that well. 

Some teams get #1 picks and get at least major league serviceable players. The Astros took three in a row and got one All Star. Their misses could have got them a couple of very good players had their scouting been a little better. 

52 minutes ago, Blarg said:

The last time the Pirates picked #1 was 2011. They nailed it with Garret Cole.

Astros picked first three drafts in a row from 2012-2014. They picked Correa and the other two picks were busts.

The Diamondbacks in 2015 picked Swanson and was traded to Atlanta. 

The Phillies pick outfielder Moniak in 2016. He hasn't shown first pick value.

The Tigers picked up Auburn pitcher Mize that did well in AA last season and was rushed up to the majors this year. Did not perform all that well. 

Some teams get #1 picks and get at least major league serviceable players. The Astros took three in a row and got one All Star. Their misses could have got them a couple of very good players had their scouting been a little better. 

Where have we had a 1st round non-miss lately?  Ward, Thaiss, we didn't even give Wilson a chance to miss....anybody since Trout that has been any good? Grichuk I guess....I know I'm missing somebody....

16 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Where have we had a 1st round non-miss lately?  Ward, Thaiss, we didn't even give Wilson a chance to miss....anybody since Trout that has been any good? Grichuk I guess....I know I'm missing somebody....

as far as first round picks CJ Cron has managed a good career. Newcomb, the jury is still out. The two drafts before Trout was Skaggs and Richards. Bedrosian is a major league player.

The Angels have only had the first pick in the draft twice. In 1975 they took catcher Danny Goodwin that never amounted to much. In 1995 they picked Darin Erstad.

The Angels have never had the 2nd pick in the draft.

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

as far as first round picks CJ Cron has managed a good career. Newcomb, the jury is still out. The two drafts before Trout was Skaggs and Richards. Bedrosian is a major league player.

The Angels have only had the first pick in the draft twice. In 1975 they took catcher Danny Goodwin that never amounted to much. In 1995 they picked Darin Erstad.

The Angels have never had the 2nd pick in the draft.

I thought we were talking about 1st rounders generally, so my bad....Goodwin was a bust but he was everybody's top rated player that year, I think....So was Erstad, if I recall....Hard to argue that either was a bad pick based on their ratings...Cron, Newcomb, Bedrosian are kind of meh picks, I guess...Skaggs and Richards a little better....so it hasn't been quite as bad as I thought...Corbin was a 2nd round pick in 2009...

6 hours ago, Randy Gradishar said:

You know I'm a cockeyed optimist, but Eppy's canning really bridled my enthusiasm.

If they can pull an Epsty out of a hat I'd be right back, but that's not gonna happen with Maddon here.

did you hear about the kid born with deformed eyelids?  They used his foreskin to repair them.  

he's a little cockeyed too.  

3 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

Can someone with draft knowledge speculate what pitching prospects could be targets at this pick?

College: Jaden Hill, Gunnar Hoglund, Steven Hajjar, Jonathan Cannon

High School: Andrew Painter, Chase Petty

Obviously there will be risers and fallers with some of these names potentially going top 5, some dropping and also new names we should be taking into consideration.

Edited by rafibomb