• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Justin Upton is not done!

Inside Pitch

1430_n.jpg

He's still capable, still able to catch up to FBs.  His average exit velocity, hard hit rates, and stat cast data is right at or above where they were when the Angels acquired him.  He handled his struggles like a pro and has come out of it looking very much like vintage Upton.

This isn't about being right or wrong or liking or hating a guy.  Its about the Angels needing him to be the player he's been if they stand any chance of competing while he's under contract.

I'm relieved LF isn't one of the things this team needs to worry about going into the off-season.

14 hours ago, rafibomb said:

A feast-or-famine hitter like Upton is not good for a 60-game season. I'm sure if we had a full season he would be right around .250/.350/.850 to end the year.

Nah, it was more than his typical hot/cold tendencies. 

Maybe it was the off and on ST on the heels of a season ending injury/surgery, but he came back looking off, lost, and just lacking.  It was legitimately fair to wonder if the physical skills had been impacted by the injuries or just eroded to where he was pulling a Dale Murphy death spiral.  But through it all there were data points that argued he wasn't done, and watching him swing it was obvious he was getting just under the ball, which the numbers also supported.  

But he looks to be fine and that's a good thing for the Angels.

Funny how we appreciate Upton now that it is clear the shiny new toy isn't ready. But in all seriousness, he should be fine next year and pencilled in for 140+ starts. Actually, Upton being steady might make the Angels feel more OK about leaving RF open for Adell/Marsh, and not signing a free agent outfielder.

• Chuck changed the title to Justin Upton is not done!
2 hours ago, Kevinb said:

Definitely don't sign any outfielders. The Angels have plenty in the minors and Adell should eventually be good. I wouldn't waste the money on any position players in free agency. 

Except to re-sign Simba, need the defense that he and Fletcher give them up the middle. 

4 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Except to re-sign Simba, need the defense that he and Fletcher give them up the middle. 

My off-season prediction on this: simba is not in the club plans for 2021+ and we go after pitching.  After failed attempts to do so, Simba is still out there and we circle back re-signing him (maybe just a 1-year deal).  

13 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I don't think so. If I were the Angels I would go with Rengifo or the guy we got at the deadline and Fletcher. I don't believe in Rengifo but some people here do. I would try to cut salary on every day players while increasing spending on starting pitching. I like Simmons, but I don't think signing over 30 year old players who have been injury prone to multi year contracts is a wise idea.

3 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Funny how we appreciate Upton now that it is clear the shiny new toy isn't ready. But in all seriousness, he should be fine next year and pencilled in for 140+ starts. Actually, Upton being steady might make the Angels feel more OK about leaving RF open for Adell/Marsh, and not signing a free agent outfielder.

We shouldn't be looking to sign or trade for anyone other than pitchers, I mean quality pitchers, 2 starters IE: Trevor Bauer, Tanaka, and revamp the bullpen, Build Back Better. Oh and one more thing, re-sign Simmons for 3 ~years. No need for any position players this winter...

Any offseason speculation is funny right now because it could be wildly different with a different GM.

If we wind up with Dombrowski or a win-now GM, Adell or Marsh, even both, are gone. 
If Eppler is here, signing a defense-first 4th OF vet FA to a rebound contract is on-brand. 
If it's a new GM, he likely plays it safe and sticks with in-house until he has a clearer idea.

Edited by totdprods

2 minutes ago, Kaline said:

It's hard to watch players you like a lot get older and slow down. J UP is a class act and when he is locked in, he can rake. As for next year, he has lost a step, so maybe time to let him mentor some youngster.

Yea when he’s right he’s a player not a mentor.  When he has a bad healthy season, we can talk about that. 

47 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Any offseason speculation is funny right now because it could be wildly different with a different GM.

If we wind up with Dombrowski or a win-now GM, Adell or Marsh, even both, are gone. 
If Eppler is here, signing a defense-first 4th OF vet FA to a rebound contract is on-brand. 
If it's a new GM, he likely plays it safe and sticks with in-house until he has a clearer idea.

Dombrowski signed J UP with the Tigers, so you never know if he comes to the Angels.

I give Upton a lot of credit for taking his temporary demotion in stride.  He owned up to not hitting well and agreeing that the club needed to play the better options.  Very classy and professional of him, and I'm happy to see him starting playing better now.

Upton being a decent LFer will be huge for us next year, as we try to patch RF together until one of our two young players (Adell, Marsh) is ready to take over.

2 hours ago, Warfarin said:

I give Upton a lot of credit for taking his temporary demotion in stride.  He owned up to not hitting well and agreeing that the club needed to play the better options.  Very classy and professional of him, and I'm happy to see him starting playing better now.

Upton being a decent LFer will be huge for us next year, as we try to patch RF together until one of our two young players (Adell, Marsh) is ready to take over.

Yep, that was the biggest takeaway from me too.  First time in his career he was basically benched and all he did was put in the work and commit himself to being a good teammate.  The guy has character. 

I hope Ohtani can follow suit when he gets back into a game.