• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

This disaster lays at the feet of the owner...

What a complete waste of time reading this. 2 years of getting the best hitter on the market (one the best player of a generation) and Arte has an insecurity /inferiority problem. thats just garbage.

Btw, I love the way you lump Blanton in with Arte's insecurity problem (which doesn't even make sense) without even mentioning your sabermetrics hero Dipoto.

Lifetime, just as a reminder, these are the types of posts that Chuck has lectured you in the past about.

LOL @ lectured. 

This is a direct question regarding another poster's assertion. It doesn't call for or require further explanation unless and until the question is answered. Regardless, I don't need your condescending input. 

Inferiority complex? Because he changed the name and signed big names?

Moreno is a self made billionaire. He invested money in this team, and has vastly improved its worth (and his bottom line). That's not being insecure, its being a very adept businessman.

Bottom line is the front office dropped the ball on several decisions. Players on the field haven't produced. To blame ownership is retarded.

I am as upset and letdown with this team as any of you.  Getting swept by the Astros?  There is no way in hell that should happen.  I think the issue comes down to two things:

1.  Pujols and Hamilton completely tanking this season.  While Pujols is playing hurt, he says he is good enough to play.  Well, then prove it by not popping up over and over and over again.  Hamilton has no excuse at all.  That guy needs to remove his head from his butt and hit like he has done in the past.  With Pujols playing hurt, Hamilton really needs to step it up and instead he is playing like a bitch.  That isn't on Arte, its not on Jerry and it isn't on MS.  That is 100% on those two.

2.  This team has ZERO heart and ZERO grit.  These guys play like a bunch of wussies.  Guys like Percy and Salmon would be slapping these guys for not playing the game right.  It is actually disgusting and every player on this team (outside of a few), should be ashamed of themselves.  They don't look like ML players, they look like they should be playing in the independent league of France.

This team has horrible makeup.

Based on.....?

Look, I get that this team is playing like shit. I don't disagree with that, because really how could you?

But the idea that any of this team's problems is a lack of "passion" or "fire" or "heart" or "grit" strikes me as a weird thing to latch onto. And I've seen a lot of people latching onto it.

Those are buzzwords that get tacked onto the story of teams that play better than people expect them to in a positive light, or teams that play worse than people expect them to in a negative light. Because baseball is really hard to predict.

They're long standing buzzwords in the baseball world for sure, but I don't buy that there's any meaning to them. Or that there are guys out there in professional baseball with "passion" or "fire" or "heart" out there and some who don't have that, and the Angels don't have enough of the former or too many of the latter.

They're just playing terrible baseball.

Based on.....?

Look, I get that this team is playing like shit. I don't disagree with that, because really how could you?

But the idea that any of this team's problems is a lack of "passion" or "fire" or "heart" or "grit" strikes me as a weird thing to latch onto. And I've seen a lot of people latching onto it.

Those are buzzwords that get tacked onto the story of teams that play better than people expect them to in a positive light, or teams that play worse than people expect them to in a negative light. Because baseball is really hard to predict.

They're long standing buzzwords in the baseball world for sure, but I don't buy that there's any meaning to them. Or that there are guys out there in professional baseball with "passion" or "fire" or "heart" out there and some who don't have that, and the Angels don't have enough of the former or too many of the latter.

They're just playing terrible baseball.

Ditto 

Pujols, apparently certified as 33 by an official Dominican Rep birth cert, continues to look and play like someone 4-5yrs older.   Foot pain or whatever, he's playing and creating a big hole in the MOTO.   Hamilton, except for "recharge" days is an even bigger MOTO hole, but a happy one.  Trout & Trumbo surrounded by happy, black holes, along with the now traditional assortment of poorly hitting catchers, 3B with no power, and a manager with a 10yr contract who's idea of motivation following an embarrassing 4 game sweep by one of the other worst teams in MLB is "move on and don't wallow".  True recipe for success.

GODDAMIT!

If I'm a Jagoff, does that mean I need to root for the Jaguars?

I CAN'T STAND GABBERT!

Ok, ok, I should add something constructive and break with trAdition.

Just like the post someone made yesterday about getting swept 4 in a row to the worst team in baseball (still never found out if it's ever happened before to the Angels), I swear I was thinking along the same lines of the OP but mostly for one purpose...

...I'll NEVER EVER EVER again wish we pay top dollar for a FA star, at least not under Arte's watch.  Mostly because we simply find the worst way to spend the $$$ vs. what we get in return.  It doesn't help what is happening to the Doyers with Puig and the excitement fans have with young stars (i.e Trout for us).

These large contracts kill teams and unlike the NFL, we can't just cut a player.  So when they suck moaky, vinegary balls like Hamilton, Pujols at times, etc. we can't bench the player.  They keep getting wheeled out and young guys (even if we had them) won't get their chance.

I regret ever asking for big-time FA's with this ownership.

Give me a farm full of young players who will play like their life is on the line for a chance at the bigs - and if one isn't working out, I can bench him for another until we find some chemistry and excitement...win or lose.

I'm sorry for being a Jagoff.  Please don't buy any more Mexicans (or equivalent) in the future.

Get more Mexicans in the farm and bring 'em up young please.

Pujols hit pretty damn good starting the middle of May last season 

Yes, he did extremely well.  The problem is that with the dollars come expectations, and for the largest, most vulgar contracts come expectations that can never be reached.

I still think it sucks. I don't whine about it but in the back of my mind I think it's a friggin joke. I mean who the hell has spent money on this team because there is LA somewhere in the name? All he did was alienate some of his fan base with that move.

And you know nothing of media buying and marketing. NOTHING, or you wouldnt even go there.

And again, how many times has this topic been discussed. While you may not like the name as it is FOR NOW, if you cant even understand the business reasons, I dont even know anymore. Losing sucks, but come on, pay attention.

Yes, he did extremely well.  The problem is that with the dollars come expectations, and for the largest, most vulgar contracts come expectations that can never be reach

the point was in response to Brandon's post saying they played like complete shit since they were signed.

• 2 months later...

This organization has become dysfunctional, similar to the Chargers one game from the super bowl and the gm and  the manager don't speak to one another. The Angels have spent a half a billion dollars and the result is a disaster. The manager has a winning model, speed ,defense,  and pitching. The gm's model,  write somebody else's checks. This teams was competitive prior to the gm's arriva and the bottom line today it's terrible. The problem is not a mystery, the owner needs to review programs that have success evaluate the why's and do some recruiting to build a management team. I would tend to believe that every player the angels dumped would be thankful. Two recently acquired players have nothing to be concerned about, their set for the rest of their life and don't seem to have the heart or make up to turn the program around. Where do you go from here, wow?