• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

This disaster lays at the feet of the owner...

yk9001

.... and a lot of you jagoff fans

Just my opinion:  Arte has a serious insecurity/inferiority complex.  It first reared its head when he adopted the fake LA name - an embarrassment we haven't lived down in nine years.  Read his quotes at the big press conferences - usually you can find some mention of the word "Dodgers"...which is a complete red herring.  He feels he's "competing" with the joke of a franchise 35 miles up the road.  While taking his eye off the AL West rival 1,400 miles to the east.  Arte has never understood that winning championships will take care of just about all his problems.  Disney gave him the cache of a freshly minted championship when he bought the franchise.  That goodwill has been whittled away to about nothing after 11 years.  High priced mistake after high priced mistake will do that.

Continuing with his insecurity, he always covets high priced, big named players who made their stamp somewhere else.  Arte seems to be under the impression that Angel fans are actually interested in what Albert Pujols did in St. Louis, or that Blanton won a World Series with the Phillies.  Which brings us to the most bizarre, head scratching Angel billboard of all time:

billboard2013.jpg

Arte's insecurity runs so deep, he's desperate to cling to any kind of winner - it doesn't make any difference to him what team they won for, and pay any price.  He pays top dollar for Pujol's boatload of MVP's in St. Louis, or Hamilton's success in Texas.  Not understanding that past results for older players does not necessarily have any correlation with future success.  And as a cherry on top of a crap sandwich that this organization has become, he skinflints a $25,000 raise to the most exciting young baseball player to play in a generation.

Arte's fascination w/r/t these high priced stiffs, and his insecurity regarding playing second fiddle to the Dodgers leads me to the last point:  You idiot fans on this message board.  I've read you - trust me, I know who you are.  You cannot wait for the season to end, so you can get out your Christmas list of high priced "names".  Dammit, you guys needed a "Splash".  A "Big Name", or the offseason was a failure.  You needed to have something in the Christmas stocking.  You needed the team to be involved in negotiations.  You needed a mention on ESPN!  The hot stove league wasn't good enough for you, either.  The Angels needed to "improve" themselves at the trade deadline, as well.  Yippee!  Don't worry about the long term ramifications of trading prospects...we'll just get more free agents.   And Arte listened to the fans.

`

Yeah, it's the fans' fault. Arte is intentionally sabotaging the team to get back at the fans for whining. Makes sense. 

My post has nothing to do with "intentionally sabotaging the team".  If you are going to go the Lifetime route, at least get your facts straight.

I love it when people still bitch about the L.A. name. So cute...

I still think it sucks. I don't whine about it but in the back of my mind I think it's a friggin joke. I mean who the hell has spent money on this team because there is LA somewhere in the name? All he did was alienate some of his fan base with that move.

I love it when people still bitch about the L.A. name.  So cute...

The name "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" is as stupid today as it was nine years ago.  And it was the first glimpse into Arte's insecurities.  We've seen those insecurities manifest since then, in the form of making "big splashes" that help get Arte and the team pub and ESPN mentions - and help in Arte's competition-in-his-own-mind with the Dodgers.... but don't help the Angels actually win games.

You sound like Storm blaming people on here who might be misguided but actually want to see their team improve. It was stupid when he would say stuff like that and it's dumb when you say it YK. The stuff about Arte is spot on though, I like to talk crap about the Dodgers but in terms of baseball moves, you can't think about making them jealous or anything silly like that. 

My post has nothing to do with "intentionally sabotaging the team".  If you are going to go the Lifetime route, at least get your facts straight.

That's certainly the tone that comes across from the post. Why would Arte base his decisions on what a few people on a message board have to say? Fans are fans, there will always be a subset that complains. I seriously doubt someone gets to the top of the business world by being so insecure as to listen to some idiots. 

Your post is greatly appreciated.

Signed,

Mike & Jerry

If one wants to expand on the Arte/Dodger insecurities, look at the timing of Mike's 10 year contract.  Torre had one year to go that offseason.  Arte again might have been scared by the Dodgers signing Scioscia - thus he gave Mike the 10 year contract and put a 10 year millstone around this franchise.

Just a theory.

I still think it sucks. I don't whine about it but in the back of my mind I think it's a f*ckin joke. I mean who the hell has spent money on this team because there is LA somewhere in the name? All he did was alienate some of his fan base with that move.

If people actually became less interested in the team because of the name, then I don't know what to say, other than that that's just plain stupid. 

If people actually became less interested in the team because of the name, then I don't know what to say, other than that that's just plain stupid.

I didn't say they became less interested, I said some felt alienated. You can't argue with that. It's been splattered all over this message board and the local papers a million times. It was a dumb move.

I think it would be really difficult to become a billionaire in the advertising world with an insecurity/inferiority complex. I really doubt those symptoms manifest themselves after buying a baseball team. At the end of the day Moreno has more than tripled his investment so it is kind of hard to say he is screwing up that bad in a business sense.

While I certainly have substantial issues with how Arte runs this franchise the OP was way off IMO. To start, I loved the name change.

I think Arte is a stubborn man who cannot get over slights by others. After Teixiera left it seemed like Arte was on a mission to mess with Boras. Pujols wasn't a Boras client so he went all in. Not saying that is the principle reason we needed up with the Albert Pujols, yet I do think its a factor.

Arte unwillingness to spend money in Latin America as he didn't want to get his hands dirty in corrupt player exchanges is rather cute and noble -- yet it has helped to leave the club with the worst farm system in baseball and little prospect of getting out of its troubles for quite some time.

The club is in a bad place and has hardly any flexibility prospect or payroll wise to fix it.

Obviously, I don't know Arte personality or how he deals with players but it definitely seems like he's trying to get some huge big splash every offseason.

If you do that, you have to find ways to keep the minor league system intact in case these guys don't pan out or they decide to make a trade to bolster the roster and still have good prospects. Arte hasn't really found a good balance of everything. This falls on Dipoto too.