• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ohtani had discomfort, got an MRI

15 minutes ago, RendZone said:

So Adell isn’t the plan? I’m pretty sure that when Ohtani signed with the Angels that there were some certain gentlemens agreements that made it perfectly clear that was going to only pitch and DH. 
This idea that he could play a defensive position is probably not something he would want to do and the Angels will probably not force the issue. This will definitely cause a logjam next season because he most likely won’t be able to throw from an outfield position anyway. 

Yea, this is wrong.  Sorry Claude, but we are talking about if he can’t pitch anymore.  If he isn’t pitching I highly doubt he would prefer to be simply a DH.  And no it won’t cause a logjam because having depth is a good thing.  

2 hours ago, RendZone said:

So Adell isn’t the plan? I’m pretty sure that when Ohtani signed with the Angels that there were some certain gentlemens agreements that made it perfectly clear that was going to only pitch and DH. 
This idea that he could play a defensive position is probably not something he would want to do and the Angels will probably not force the issue. This will definitely cause a logjam next season because he most likely won’t be able to throw from an outfield position anyway. 

A -- I'm not privy to "the plan", I have no idea what the voices in your head believe the plan is.... this time..
B -- I'm responding to  your contention that Ohtani is "not a defensive position player, and never will be"...   Try to keep track of what you've said.    He has been, and he could be.  
C -- If he can't pitch anymore those "gentlemen's agreements" are pretty much null and void.   It's hilarious how you pick and choose things to try to validate your narratives.  Or do you think they would stick to something when it's no longer actually a thing?

Anyway, keep reading -- you'll see I'm in favor of trying him at 1B more than the OF..   That being said, don't look now but, there are three OF spots.  Three of them.   That means you can play three people in the OF -- holy shit!!! MATH is awesome!!!

Look, you're gonna do what you always do...  this is yet another example of you looking for the worst possible scenario, blowing it up into a "Clod-fact" and then spewing it over and over again.

Have fun with that.

27 minutes ago, Stradling said:

WARNING THIS POST IS GOING TO GET WAY AHEAD OF ITSELF

If Ohtani becomes an outfielder and not a two way player they need to move Adell for the best arm they can get for him.   Then trade Goodwin for the best arm they can get for him.  

Or trade Upton for anybody who will take on half of his contract...

14 minutes ago, RendZone said:

Ohtani is not going to be playing 1st base. That’s not a position that you can just teach someone to play over the winter break. 

Claude -- you've never played baseball,  You've told me this yourself.  Stop pretending you have this insight into what is and isn't possible.   

13 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

He wouldn’t be the first athletic 1B in Halos history (see Erstad).

JT Snow too.   

This is a tough situation that we are in, if Ohtani loses the abiity to Pitch, i would not mind making him a position player. Either an ofer or 1st baseman. preferably a 1st baseman, due to the log jam in the outfield. 

Now replacing his arm is going to be the toughest thing. Their aren't that many aces out there that are easy to get. The Person with the stuff to be an Ace/ atleast a solid 2 on our roster,is canning, and he has his health issues aswell.

In the minor, it has to Chris Rodriguez, but he has his health issue, and we also don't want to rush him up. 

The only Chance we have off acquiring an Ace would be to trade Adell or Marsh

Remember, Ohtani has an enormous amount of pride. Remember his detailed list of personal objectives? Call it ego, motivational or whatever. 

If he is forced to abandon his pitching career - one of his major objectives - how will it affect his psyche going forward? Especially if it means having to upgrade his defensive skills at first or the outfield. Don't underestimate the time and concentration needed to become a good defensive player. Especially without a lot of prior experience in the field. 

As well, his persona and marketing appeal have been shaped by his two way play. As a one dimensional player the general baseball fan will probably pay less attention to his career. 

And what if there is a conflict between his desires and those of the organization? 

Hopefully his pitching career can be revived with time and proper treatment. But st some point difficult decisions will have to be made by all concerned.

A question for @Jeff Fletcher

Are you aware of any discussions either in the past or present between the Angels and Ohtani about him being available to play any other positions besides Pitching and DH? 
I think he chose the Angels because they were able to accommodate him with certain conditions. Pitching on Sundays is one of them.

2 minutes ago, RendZone said:

A question for @Jeff Fletcher

Are you aware of any discussions either in the past or present between the Angels and Ohtani about him being available to play any other positions besides Pitching and DH? 
I think he chose the Angels because they were able to accommodate him with certain conditions. Pitching on Sundays is one of them.

Yes those conditions were he would be able to pitch and hit.  

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yes those conditions were he would be able to pitch and hit.  

Pitch on Sunday’s and be used only as a DH on days he wasn’t resting? I’m pretty sure that certain accommodations were agreed to before he chose the Angels. 
My point is that if he can’t pitch then he will most likely be the full time DH. They already have Upton locked up and Pujols for another season. They’re very high on Adell so something has to give.

If Ohtani needs a second TJ surgery. I think I am in the camp where I sit him down let him get the surgery and just let him focus on being a DH. If he really wants to pitch and the medicals look ok, I would try him out in a bullpen role and not as a starter for at least a year or so to work him up to it. Him having multiple surgeries on that arm is not ideal for long term success. 

9 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Lol....  

Everyone who believes the Angels would ever consider or talked about having Ohtani play a defensive position on a regular basis while he's still a pitcher, please raise your hand.....

high school GIF

Why is he unapproachable? I saw numerous post last season about having him play first base. And Upton too. These things are not going to happen. They even tried Calhoun at first base. Didn’t work out.  Trumbo at third? 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

He has basically been Taylor Ward or Hermosillo this year.  Not to justify not making the trade, but he hasn’t been good.  

Pederson was never the key to the trade...he was a salary dump...