• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ohtani had discomfort, got an MRI

4 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Pederson was never the key to the trade...he was a salary dump...

Yea I know. I misunderstood why RBM posted that picture, for a minute I forgot which thread we were in and assumed he was saying it would be nice to have him here this year. 

7 minutes ago, RendZone said:

Why is he unapproachable? I saw numerous post last season about having him play first base. And Upton too. These things are not going to happen. They even tried Calhoun at first base. Didn’t work out.  Trumbo at third? 

Oh ok so is this one or two new narratives in this post?  
Narrative one: Ohtani isn’t approachable.  Which that is not what IP was saying but you are full clodding right now so on to the next narrative.

Narrative two: so now players can be moved to different positions and they aren’t tied to some crazy notion they were only brought in for specific reasons thus nullifying your previous point of he can only do what he was signed up for.

Heres a bonus 3rd narrative: what we talk about here is directly tied into what the Angels will do.  Upton was talked about playing first here but nowhere else in real life. 

4 hours ago, RendZone said:

Why is he unapproachable? I saw numerous post last season about having him play first base. And Upton too. These things are not going to happen. They even tried Calhoun at first base. Didn’t work out.  Trumbo at third? 

Are you actually trying to make a point or just desperately trying to be right?   Look, you said he can't handle a defensive position and never will.   History shows he's actually done it.  What part of that do you not understand?

And what is this unapproachable BS?   What part of playing a defensive position and pitching being taxing do you not understand? Beyond the physical demands, do you really think they wanted a star pitcher twisting an ankle while shagging a fly ball?   Seriously -- try thinking things through before spouting off with nonsense.   Up until now, the idea has always been that he was going to pitch AND hit.   If that changes I'd expect them to try to maximize his athleticism -- which is why 1B may be viewed as a waste and the OF makes more sense.  Look, Im not like you.  I'm not so caught up in my own BS that I think my opinion is the final word... So, what I'd like to see them try and what the Angels view as the best course of action aren't remotely the same thing.  But I doubt keeping him a DH forever because "gentlemen's agreement" is a thing.

Lastly, do you really want me to make a list of all the players in MLB history that have moved to 1B?  Does Chuck have the bandwidth?    

26 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

Didn't any of you guys see the rocket throw he had from RF when he was in Japan?

If he could play RF in Japan, I think he can play it here.

NOPE..  Claude says he cant and never will. 

12 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Narrative one: Ohtani isn’t approachable.  Which that is not what IP was saying but you are full clodding right now so on to the next narrative.

Narrative two: so now players can be moved to different positions and they aren’t tied to some crazy notion they were only brought in for specific reasons thus nullifying your previous point of he can only do what he was signed up for.

Heres a bonus 3rd narrative: what we talk about here is directly tied into what the Angels will do.  Upton was talked about playing first here but nowhere else in real life. 

Narrative four -- Adell is the chosen one..  the cant miss -- the plan....    Meanwhile we have a lot of people who wonder about his ability to make contact and some who believe Marsh may end up being the better pro.  

13 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Narrative 3, Shohei is focused on pitching. He always has been and what he said in the beginning implies that he had no intention of playing other positions.

Age 24: Throw a no-hitter and win 25 games.
Age 26: Win the World Series and get married.
Age 36: Break the strikeout record.
Age 37: First son starts baseball.
Age 38: Stats drop; start to think about retirement.
Age 40: Throw a no-hitter in my very last game.

2 hours ago, Duren, Duren said:

Remember, Ohtani has an enormous amount of pride. Remember his detailed list of personal objectives? Call it ego, motivational or whatever. 

If he is forced to abandon his pitching career - one of his major objectives - how will it affect his psyche going forward? Especially if it means having to upgrade his defensive skills at first or the outfield. Don't underestimate the time and concentration needed to become a good defensive player. Especially without a lot of prior experience in the field. 

As well, his persona and marketing appeal have been shaped by his two way play. As a one dimensional player the general baseball fan will probably pay less attention to his career. 

And what if there is a conflict between his desires and those of the organization? 

Hopefully his pitching career can be revived with time and proper treatment. But st some point difficult decisions will have to be made by all concerned.

Great post. I agree that a lot of caution and care will have to be used in this situation. I just don’t see Eppler calling Ohtani in and saying “too bad so sad about your pitching arm but you work for us and you’re an outfielder now”

6 minutes ago, RendZone said:

Great post. I agree that a lot of caution and care will have to be used in this situation. I just don’t see Eppler calling Ohtani in and saying “too bad so sad about your pitching arm but you work for us and you’re an outfielder now”

Because that’s how the conversation would go.  Grow up narrative boy.  

1 hour ago, RendZone said:

A question for @Jeff Fletcher

Are you aware of any discussions either in the past or present between the Angels and Ohtani about him being available to play any other positions besides Pitching and DH? 
I think he chose the Angels because they were able to accommodate him with certain conditions. Pitching on Sundays is one of them.

No. He played a little OF in Japan but that ended very quickly into his career. 

if he abandons pitching, I can see them having him play a position. But not as long as he’s a two-way player. 

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Lastly, do you really want me to make a list of all the players in MLB history that have moved to 1B?  Does Chuck have the bandwidth?   

That list is almost entirely players who moved from another IF position to 1B.

Going from the OF to 1B happens much much much much less frequently. 

The defensive spectrum goes like this....

C>SS>CF>2B>3B>1B>RF>LF

You go right, not left

4 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

C>SS>CF>2B>3B>1B>RF>LF

You go right, not left

So no first base for Upton. You’re breaking a lot of hearts here Jeff. 😃

1 minute ago, JocStrapling said:

Age 24: Throw a no-hitter and win 25 games. .....that ship has sailed but who knows, he might of met this goal playing Ippie in MLB the show2018. 
Age 26: Win the World Series and get married......With a WS ring, at least he would achieve one positive outcome
Age 36: Break the strikeout record...... as a hitter
Age 37: First son starts baseball...... in Japan or Korea
Age 38: Stats drop; start to think about retirement...... in MLB The Show 2032
Age 40: Throw a no-hitter in my very last game

Lol

10 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

C>SS>CF>2B>3B>1B>RF>LF

You go right, not left

Yup, I'm aware. 

As I said, him at 1B is something I'd love to see them try because they do have OF depth and 1B is a weakness.  But they would likely try him in the OF where they may get more out of his athleticism.

What I'd like and what they are likely to do aren't the same.   I've already made that clear.

18 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

No. He played a little OF in Japan but that ended very quickly into his career. 

if he abandons pitching, I can see them having him play a position. But not as long as he’s a two-way player. 

@Jeff Fletcher  If there is no structural damage but irritation or inflammation, could you see Ohtani shutting down pitching but still DH'ing through the end of the season, getting a clean start on pitching in 2021....