Sign in to follow this  
mymerlincat

Gameday Thread: Asterisks @ Angels (7/31/20)

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, RBM said:

Andrelton Simmons is such a gamer. He would be out there tonight if he could be. I wonder how he really feels about Mike Trout sitting in a rocking chair before the birth of his child while his team plays a home game 25 minutes from his home.

Simmons should worry less about Mike Trout and more about hitting a ball without his eyes closed. He should also learn to have some awareness on the basepaths. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, robblin17 said:

I will gladly take the A’s and Rays payroll. Just because we spend money doesn’t mean that it is a good thing. He spends money to put fans in the seats, not for wins (Pujols, Hamilton, Rendon - don’t hate Rendon signing but would’ve much rather overspent on pitching). But those were all sexy signings. Big difference and ones that have huge ROI for him since fans will show up every day to see these guys play. Pitchers pitch once every five days. 

I wouldn’t because even if you have home grown superstars those kind of owners will let them walk. You won’t be keeping guys like Trout.

 

Trust me. You don’t want it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bronson said:

I wouldn’t because even if you have home grown superstars those kind of owners will let them walk. You won’t be keeping guys like Trout.

 

Trust me. You don’t want it.

Yeah, you’re right. Being the laughing stock of the league for the past ten years has been way more fun. All those playoff wins have been fun too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, robblin17 said:

Yeah, you’re right. Being the laughing stock of the league for the past ten years has been way more fun. All those playoff wins have been fun too. 

Being the laughing stock of the league isn’t because Arte spends money. Look at the Yankees. Yeah sure he sometimes spends it on the wrong players but we have a more internal problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

I appreciate what Eppler has done for the prospects, but he’s done absolutely nothing in terms of pitching. All he does is dumpster dive. No reason to believe it would be any different next year. You have Trout, Ohtani, and Rendon. The time to win is now. We need a GM with a championship pedigree who can come in and secure some starting P and solid Relief P. 
 

Has Eppler really rebuilt our farmsystem? I hear this a lot, but have yet to see it come to fruition. Our farmsystem has been ranked near the bottom for his entire tenure.

https://www.mlb.com/news/2020-farm-system-rankings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NrM said:

Has Eppler really rebuilt our farmsystem? I hear this a lot, but have yet to see it come to fruition. Our farmsystem has been ranked near the bottom for his entire tenure.

https://www.mlb.com/news/2020-farm-system-rankings

Well it was ranked somewhere in the mid 30's when he took over (behind the top 3 Japanese system, a Korean system and the CIF).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bronson said:

Being the laughing stock of the league isn’t because Arte spends money. Look at the Yankees. Yeah sure he sometimes spends it on the wrong players but we have a more internal problem. 

Arte hired Eppler. He extended Scioscia. Arte pushed for Hamilton and Pujols and Wells etc. He won't tank even when all logic says that's the correct move. He won't even fire sell one year. Arte is the one to blame. The Angels problems start at the top. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

Arte hired Eppler. He extended Scioscia. Arte pushed for Hamilton and Pujols and Wells etc. Arte is the one to blame. The Angels problems start at the top. 

Great points. It’s organizational failure at this point from the top down. There have been so many failures that it’s impossible to pinpoint it. We can’t blame it on Scioscia anymore, can’t blame it on Dipoto, can’t blame it on Eppler, can’t blame it on Ausmus, can’t blame it on the players (they’ve all been terrible for years). 
 

Yet one common denominator remains. Arte. 
 

I can’t confirm this, but maybe others can. I’ve heard that the Angels FO is one of the leanest and potentially under staffed units in the majors because of Arte being cheap AF on areas outside of the ML roster. Any truth to this? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Bronson said:

Being the laughing stock of the league isn’t because Arte spends money. Look at the Yankees. Yeah sure he sometimes spends it on the wrong players but we have a more internal problem. 

Spending money on guys like Pujols, Wells, and Hamilton is 100% a direct correlation with us being the laughing stock of the league. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, RBM said:

Agreed. He's struggled early but he showed up and he's a fast healer. He'll be back soon.

Trout is not even showing up. That is a lack of leadership.

Good Grief, somethings are more important than Baseball.  Get a grip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

Arte hired Eppler. He extended Scioscia. Arte pushed for Hamilton and Pujols and Wells etc. He won't tank even when all logic says that's the correct move. He won't even fire sell one year. Arte is the one to blame. The Angels problems start at the top. 

Arte is the Jerry Jones of the MLB. Self made guy who can't get out of his own way. He IS the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, fan_since79 said:

This...team. Driving me nuts.

I usually take my heart medicine at 9 pm but I might take it a little sooner. I feel a pain...

Don’t take the medicine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, RBM said:

Andrelton Simmons is such a gamer. He would be out there tonight if he could be. I wonder how he really feels about Mike Trout sitting in a rocking chair before the birth of his child while his team plays a home game 25 minutes from his home.

This is my nomination for Father of the Year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, RBM said:

Agreed. He's struggled early but he showed up and he's a fast healer. He'll be back soon.

Trout is not even showing up. That is a lack of leadership.

Exhibit B for Father of the Year.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's just a philosophy of failure that has plagued this organization for the better part of a decade. 

It's not any one individual's fault. No manager is going to change this. But man, something's gotta change. You can say we just have a poor roster but why is that the case every year? At some point the players are going to play well, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this