• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Simmons Extension: The Time is Now?

Seems like the week before the season starts is typically when you see long-term extensions for current players.  Would love to see Simmons extended for 3 or 4 years.  @Jeff Fletcher is there any expectation the Angels might extend (or have extended) an offer?  Would 3 years/ $70 million get it done?  He's just 30 years old...

2 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Nope. This upcoming market is going to be different. Likely scenario is that we'll have to wait and see how the market is and than offer Simmons the best contract. 

Plus how many teams are actually looking for a ss? 

Any team who does not have Simmons or Lindor as their short stop would be interested.

No reason to sign him now, Artie will take a wait and see what happens.See what Simmons does in the 60 games and where virus is going. Attendance will down next year along with revenue. 2021 if fans still not back in stands money for players will be reduced. How many people will have jobs to go back to? Owners will be very frugal this off season. I do hope Simmons has a great 60 games as he is once in lifetime defensive player and is signed again but I do not see that happening in the current climate.

10 hours ago, Capital_Dave said:

Seems like the week before the season starts is typically when you see long-term extensions for current players.  Would love to see Simmons extended for 3 or 4 years.  @Jeff Fletcher is there any expectation the Angels might extend (or have extended) an offer?  Would 3 years/ $70 million get it done?  He's just 30 years old...

Uh, yeah. Simmons would definitely take that.

That’s way too much. 

Guys don’t usually give up free agency when they’ve gotten this close. He’s 60 games away. That’s a lot different than being 162 games away. Honestly not too many guys sign extensions with one year to go. You usually have to do it with 2 years to go or 1 1/2.

On 7/16/2020 at 3:16 PM, Kevinb said:

I definitely think the market is going to be completely weird this off season. I am curious what Betts will do. Will he sign a one year deal or will he sign that big boat loaded contract which I don't think will be out there. Curious.

I'm thinking Betts signs a 1 year contract, possibly with the Dodgers, and hopes thing return to normal by 2022. Then he will sign a long term contract...

Edited by Ace-Of-Diamonds

I like Simmons a lot - he's a great ballplayer - -but right now - if I were in charge in the front office - I don't think I would be inclined to extend anybody.

let's see how all this COVID-19 virus / shut down - abbreviated season works out.

the day of guaranteed contracts I think has gone by the wayside with all of this - at least to most MLB players - the top 5 percent or less may still get them.

heck - not to sound like one of my heroes - the Cowboy - Mr. Gene Autry - when he owned the Halos -- in this environment I'd be inclined to get the owners to adopt the NBA 10 day contract concept.....

The shortened season certainly will have an impact on the free agent market but I still believe there is a higher probability that Simmons signs an extension 4-5 years in length for no more than about $70M.

On 7/18/2020 at 1:00 AM, Pancake Bear said:

Hard to predict what this upcoming offseason will look like. I hope Simba comes back, though. One of my favorites. 

I think he will. His defense is just too good not to have. He’s a 3-4 WAR defensive player alone. Any hitting he does is just a bonus. 

Unless Arte wants to back up the money trucks for Lindor and have the one of the best 1-2-3 punches the game has ever seen, then you need to resign Simmons.