• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

In terms of slash line, how do you think Trout will perform at the plate this season?

I think it's out of the norm to say that Trout will have a .400/.600/.850 slash line or something like that even in a 60 game season. Trout could just put up something like a .320/.450/.630 slash line this season. Or he could put up a .250/.380/.550 line. Any star hitter can look mediocre by their lofty standards in a 60 game stretch or so. Trout has had "down" stretches across 60 games or close to that amount of games. Trout's 2014 second half was "down" by his lofty standards with a .257/.347/.502 slash line but that was in 2014 (Year of the Pitcher of the 2010's), so offensive numbers across the league for hitters were skewed a bit. It's always a challenge to put up great year after great year at the dish for any hitter, especially for guys like Trout, Pujols, and Cabrera. And especially in a 60 game season. Not just that but it looks like Trout will get to face a lot of good starting pitchers like Verlander, Greinke, Lance Lynn, Mike Minor, Kluber, Kershaw, Buehler, Bumgarner, Sean Manaea, and McCullers Jr. 

14 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

With just 60 games we could see some whacky rate stats. This might be the one year in our lifetimes where a hitter actually has some sort of shot at .400.

I'm not sure how old you are, but in '94, Tony Gwynn was pretty damn close. 

Unfortunately, all that anyone remembers from that season is that Fred McGriff had to miss 48 games. 

3 minutes ago, SoPas Angel said:

Unfortunately, all that anyone remembers from that season is that Fred McGriff had to miss 48 games. 

The first season I really followed the team closely was '95, but yeah I later became aware of Tony Gwynn's chase. Most likely the strike was an opportunity for Gwynn to get as close as he did. If the season went on he most likely would've fallen further and further behind.

11 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

The first season I really followed the team closely was '95, but yeah I later became aware of Tony Gwynn's chase. Most likely the strike was an opportunity for Gwynn to get as close as he did. If the season went on he most likely would've fallen further and further behind.

Possibly? For sure. Most likely? I dunno. He was hitting .423 in the second half and .475 in August when the season was called off. 

I was on a family vacation in San Diego in '93, and I asked my dad if we could go to a game at The Murph. It was a doubleheader and as we drove to the game we learned that Tony was only five hits away from 2000. I asked my dad if he thought we might see #2000. He said "It's unlikely." Sure enough, Tony got 5 hits on the evening. 

My point? Never underestimate Tony Gwynn. As I wrote in another thread a few months ago, there will never, ever be another non-Angel whom I like as much as I did Tony. 

3 minutes ago, SoPas Angel said:

Possibly? For sure. Most likely? I dunno. He was hitting .423 in the second half and .475 in August when the season was called off. 

I was on a family vacation in San Diego in '93, and I asked my dad if we could go to a game at The Murph. It was a doubleheader and as we drove to the game we learned that Tony was only five hits away from 2000. I asked my dad if he thought we might see #2000. He said "It's unlikely." Sure enough, Tony got 5 hits on the evening. 

My point? Never underestimate Tony Gwynn. As I wrote in another thread a few months ago, there will never, ever be another non-Angel whom I like as much as I did Tony. 

I mean, who knows, but no one is a true talent .400 hitter, so your only hope is that the season ends before you dip below.

6 hours ago, SoPas Angel said:

Not only that, the Crime Dog also never got a dinner (old comedy tribute line).

Edited by Angel Oracle

My guess is that he plays half the games or less, so his triple-slash could be anything. His baby is due in August, right? So maybe he misses the first week or two waiting for the birth, then another couple weeks with the baby, then he realizes how hard it is having a newborn and plays baseball for a month.