• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

50 game season

Not sure what happened this week/ today with the latest MLB owner proposal - the 71 game season proposal or something like that - the one MLBPA said is pretty much DOA as far as they are concerned.ears

I think both sides are making a huge mistake if they let the 2020 season go by the wayside while the NHL with their March Madness style playoff tournament and the NBA proceed to playoff formats.

No one wins and the owners will have even less revenue from 2020 as the plans get set for the 2021 season.

The biggest losers in this game of chicken between the owners and MLBPA is the player in the second to sixth (final year) of club control.  Many of these players are playing for the MLB minimum (which at half a million a year is nothing to sneeze at) or for contracts above that - except for the top tier players (Trout, Harper, Cole etc) - have not yet hit the free agent big money contacts yet.

It is these guys, the typical lumbering big bat 1B,  the classic depth guy MIF and others - in their second to sixth year - who simply will be gone next season as the MLB owners elevate younger players - many with college ball experience - to MLB rosters to fill the roster with players under club control with payroll to match.  So the MLB rosters on many teams will be a mix of the one or two free agent big money players/ stars and the rest players with less than six years of pro ball experience under club control -- that MIF that is in year 7 making $9 to $15 million a year -- GONE. 

It was already happening on rosters - a no play 2020 - like many other things during the COVD-19 quarantine period - will just accelerate an already existing trend.

Baseball - already pretty much a regional sport - not a national one much any more -- albeit a popular regional sport - is in trouble,.  On top of all this MLB discussion the devastating thing occurring right now is high school baseball seasons, Babe Ruth/ American Legion level ball seasons and Little League baseball seasons being wiped out nationwide for 2020. That may prove to be a real accelerant  to the already declining numbers of participants in youth baseballl programs.

Baseball.- the one sport almost every kid played as a little league is quickly becoming NOT that sport.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Also six weeks ago 2000 people were dying a day and the curve hadn’t flattened.  So Olney is trying to get clicks which of course works on certain individuals.  

Yep. 

Throws a rhetorical question bomb.  Then slowly backs away. 

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

Also six weeks ago 2000 people were dying a day and the curve hadn’t flattened.  So Olney is trying to get clicks which of course works on certain individuals.  

I don't disagree, six weeks ago was a totally different landscape....but I still think a deal was/is there to be made and the contentious nature of the negotiations has burned precious time needed to get things started....

So with Texas saying pro sports can have fans with 50% capacity you’d have to figure AZ is right behind them.  Anyone down for a road trip to Phoenix, watch a couple games?   I’m sure my wife and I will head out of this becomes a reality. 

Just now, Stradling said:

So with Texas saying pro sports can have fans with 50% capacity you’d have to figure AZ is right behind them.  Anyone down for a road trip to Phoenix, watch a couple games?   I’m sure my wife and I will head out of this becomes a reality. 

No

On 6/12/2020 at 10:04 AM, Lhalo said:

The players need to give in. They have more to lose than anybody. 

I don't think this is accurate. Many of the players have guaranteed contracts, or they are arbitration eligible and have salaries based off current salaries. Guys about to hit FA are 'screwed' but they are screwed no matter what happens. The economic fall out is gona hit these players either way. Right now players are fighting to keep the pay day's they've already earned. 

The owners on the other hand, could stand to see a significant hit to their franchise valuations in addition to their revenues after all this burns down.

44 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I don't think this is accurate. Many of the players have guaranteed contracts, or they are arbitration eligible and have salaries based off current salaries. Guys about to hit FA are 'screwed' but they are screwed no matter what happens. The economic fall out is gona hit these players either way. Right now players are fighting to keep the pay day's they've already earned. 

The owners on the other hand, could stand to see a significant hit to their franchise valuations in addition to their revenues after all this burns down.

And the owners have no one to blame but themselves.  

I would have been happier with a schedule closer to 80-100 games with the season starting on July 4th, but I'll take 50 games over having to wait until next year for baseball. Also a 50 game season actually gives a sense of urgency towards a playoff chase, it could be fun. I do worry about a potential stoppage in the fall if a second wave hits and State Governors start locking down again. I just want to see some freakin' baseball lol