• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Protests and Riots Thread

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

Taylor, let me ask you something, can you see why the two graphs can look to be in conflict with each other?

Just because a prisoner is added, that doesn't mean one is subtracted. Over the years the three strike rule has increased the length of stay so there are fewer seeing parole due to multiple felonies. The precipitous rise was evitable considering the extended sentencing increased in 1994 for multiple felony convictions. Not all states have three strike legislation but it doesn't mean they are not following that as guidelines for sentencing.   

There are a ton of factors, all related to the government (both Republicans and Democrats) wanting to look "tough on crime" to earn votes in the 80s and 90s. Poor communities (especially poor communities of color) were the ones who were affected the most. Police departments were given more money and better weapons if they reached their quotas for drug arrests. Mandatory minimums ensured non-violent criminals would stay in prison for a long time.

1 hour ago, Adam said:

I agree there are racists mean cops. I think I started a thread about it. I also believe on a per capita basis black people commit more crimes. I wish they would decriminalize many of the things people are being harassed, arrested, charged and convicted of.

I'm fully on board with legalizing all drugs because doing so would remove much of the power police have over poor communities.

2 minutes ago, Taylor said:

There are a ton of factors, all related to the government (both Republicans and Democrats) wanting to look "tough on crime" to earn votes in the 80s and 90s. Poor communities (especially poor communities of color) were the ones who were affected the most. Police departments were given more money and better weapons if they reached their quotas for drug arrests. Mandatory minimums ensured non-violent criminals would stay in prison for a long time.

Oh, and the Supreme Court made it impossible for defendants to sue prosecutors for being racist during jury selection, adding baseless charges, and asking for larger sentences for people of color.