• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rosenthal: Angels aggressively furloughing employees, "raising eyebrows throughout industry"

mmc

2 minutes ago, Rally Gorilla said:

Like you said yourself, salaries are pretty much the same for big market teams.   So that leaves the stadium purchase.   Even if he had paid up front for the stadium and land...he would have increased his equity by more than he paid.    Not exactly a sound argument for pleading hardship.   BTW...This LA Times article from May 12th makes it seem like Arte are the city are renegotiating things and that Arte will be on the hook for paying $30M this season.     Not exactly a huge amount for a team worth nearly $2 Billion.

You can't pay salaries with equity. 

1 hour ago, Rally Gorilla said:

I wasn't really all that busy.  I just didn't agree with you and I said why.   Is that ok?    I'm already afraid to post about buying commercial paper towels because Lou disapproves

Are you sure you're disagreeing with me?   I mean yes I fully believe he's committed more in the last 18 months than other owners and that he'll point to that but I'm not trying to validate him.

I think you're under the impression I'm making excuses for Arte, I'm not.  What I am saying is that when it's Arte's turn to cry poor he's going to talk up the stadium and his recent investments in players.    Not sure if you've seen my other posts on this but, I'm the guy arguing the players can't trust the owners given their history of turning profits into losses.

1 hour ago, Rally Gorilla said:

I do believe Arte excels at peeing on legs and telling people it is raining.   So, no doubt, he'll be spewing along with the best of them.

Like I said... Are you sure you're disagreeing with me?  

Take it easy...

3 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Are you sure you're disagreeing with me?   I mean yes I fully believe he's committed more in the last 18 months and that he'll point to that but I'm not trying to validate him.

I think you're under the impression I'm making excuses for Arte, I'm not.  What I am saying is that when it's Arte's turn to cry poor he's going to talk up the stadium and his recent investments in players.    Not sure if you've seen my other posts on this but, I'm the guy arguing the players can't trust the owners given their history of turning profits into losses.

Like I said... Are you sure you're disagreeing with me?  

Take it easy...

Maybe.   Where do you stand regarding commercial paper towels?

How is it that the Royals, traditionally one of the most cash strapped organizations, can somehow manage to not release or furlough anyone... while the Halos and the rest of baseball find it necessary?
That is an embarrassment folks, it truly is. 

8 hours ago, floplag said:

How is it that the Royals, traditionally one of the most cash strapped organizations, can somehow manage to not release or furlough anyone... while the Halos and the rest of baseball find it necessary?
That is an embarrassment folks, it truly is. 

Probably because they let every big ticket item leave via FA and they have a low overhead (5th lowest payroll for 2020).  So, if they do play any baseball this year the Royals will be one of the teams paying out the least and then one of the first getting in line for the revenue sharing checks.

It's easy to be magnanimous when you're paying with other people's money.   

15 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Probably because they let every big ticket item leave via FA and they have a low overhead (5th lowest payroll for 2020).  So, if they do play any baseball this year the Royals will be one of the teams paying out the least and then one of the first getting in line for the revenue sharing checks.

It's easy to be magnanimous when you're paying with other people's money.   

Fairly sure when discussing minor leaguers or office personnel that none of the are making 30M and have absolutely nothing to do with that payroll number.  

23 hours ago, Stradling said:

I am more willing to let the process play itself out before I call it an embarrassment.  

Youre prerogative of course, but these are huge numbers... no minor leaguer or scout is making millions, its hard o fathom how the Royals could do this, and the angels or others could not.

9 minutes ago, floplag said:

Youre prerogative of course, but these are huge numbers... no minor leaguer or scout is making millions, its hard o fathom how the Royals could do this, and the angels or others could not.

If there is no baseball this year, then what do scouts do?  Now if there are games this year and they choose not to rehire the scouts that will cause me some issues.  Additionally like you said none of these guys are making a ton of money.  So more than likely unemployment plus the extra Covid money is probably going to pay them more than they were getting paid by the Angels.  

I guess I look at it like this.  If I owned a chain of widget stores, and before I was going through this I had a real estate department that would go out and find property to secure more locations for my widget stores, but this Covid situation made it so I am not going to be opening and expanding any time soon I would probably furlough my real estate department, because I have no work for them.  Then when things settle down you can bet your ass I would rehire them as I was ramping back up to normal.  

Obviously there are always flaws in these types of comparisons, but in my mind this is what I came up with.  

58 minutes ago, floplag said:

Fairly sure when discussing minor leaguers or office personnel that none of the are making 30M and have absolutely nothing to do with that payroll number.  

Way to ignore them being a revenue sharing recipient and the reality that saving money on players allows them to spend elsewhere.   Business 101.

7 minutes ago, RendZone said:

This isn’t going to be an issue. I’m very confident that guys like Albert Pujols, Justin Upton and Mike Trout will step up and help pay all of their salaries because they can. 

but won’t 

I'd rather they used that money in their community to help those out that have a base salary less than $480k a year. I'm sure whatever pay cut the players take they will somehow get by.