• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rosenthal: Angels aggressively furloughing employees, "raising eyebrows throughout industry"

mmc

13 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

Scouts get sob stories written about them more than anyone in baseball.

I remember around the time the Dodgers hired DePodesta, Plaschke wrote several sob stories about how the old guys were being thrown out on their ear by some guy who uses a computer.

That was so touching.

I'm so confused -- I was so ready to unleash some internet anger on Arte....and then IP spoils that whole process.  Now i don't know who to complain about.  What good is the internet and AngelsWin if i can't complain with my keyboard behind my monitor.  It's exhausting just thinking about which side to complain about -- Cheap Arte or the dumb/lazy media.  When will my suffering end?!?!

22 hours ago, floplag said:

The thing i dont like about it is that it comes on the heels of all this land deal and whatnot.  Clearly not hurting for cash, yet boom. 
I guess in the end the businessman always wins over the baseball fan. 

So, you don't think having to pony up for the land is eating into his pile of cash?   If anything he's one of the owners that can argue is being hit hardest by the timing of all this.  He's been investing heavily into the team and then boom....  Trout, Rendon, Stadium, ....The rona... booom!

6 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

So, you don't think having to pony up for the land is eating into his pile of cash?   If anything he's one of the owners that can argue is being hit hardest by the timing of all this.  He's been investing heavily into the team and then boom....  Trout, Rendon, Stadium, ....The rona... booom!

One would think he would have taken that into account... and of course were assuming they all comes from the same pile.  
I dont know the numbers involved, but im guessing these people were a drop in the bucket comparatively. 

6 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

I don't think there is a convincing argument to be made that Arte is being hit hardest by the timing of all of this.

1)  Arte paid $184M for the team in 2003.   It is now valued at close to $2Billion.      https://www.statista.com/statistics/194619/mlb-franchise-value-of-the-los-angeles-angels-of-anaheim-since-2006/

2)  To keep Arte from moving to another city, Anaheim just let him buy the Big A and 153 acres of surrounding city land for $325M.     The land itself is valued at over $300M.    https://www.foxbusiness.com/sports/angels-arte-moreno-stadium-anaheim-deal

3)  Arte and Co. paid CASH for the stadium and land.    If that made him cash poor, then it should be pretty easy to borrow (at today's extremely low interest rates) when you have $2B in equity.

4)  The Rendon and Trout contracts weren't a huge one-time cash hit for him....they are paid over time.   And, if I understand it correctly, players will not  be getting their full salaries this season anyway.  

59 minutes ago, Rally Gorilla said:

I don't think there is a convincing argument to be made that Arte is being hit hardest by the timing of all of this.

1)  Arte paid $184M for the team in 2003.   It is now valued at close to $2Billion.      https://www.statista.com/statistics/194619/mlb-franchise-value-of-the-los-angeles-angels-of-anaheim-since-2006/

2)  To keep Arte from moving to another city, Anaheim just let him buy the Big A and 153 acres of surrounding city land for $325M.     The land itself is valued at over $300M.    https://www.foxbusiness.com/sports/angels-arte-moreno-stadium-anaheim-deal

3)  Arte and Co. paid CASH for the stadium and land.    If that made him cash poor, then it should be pretty easy to borrow (at today's extremely low interest rates) when you have $2B in equity.

4)  The Rendon and Trout contracts weren't a huge one-time cash hit for him....they are paid over time.   And, if I understand it correctly, players will not  be getting their full salaries this season anyway.  

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, but it's pretty obvious he's opened up his wallet more than just about any owner in MLB in the previous 18 months...  To argue otherwise is foolish.  

1 -- the team's value isn't realized until it's is sold or borrowed against.  He's still going to have to come out of pocket or add debt in the deal with Anaheim.   More importantly -- every owner in MLB has seen their values rise.

2 -  I missed where the city of Anaheim signed over the deed and said it's yours.   There have been a wide range of values depending on whether or not the stadium was demolished but again first he would have to PAY for the land, then he would have to sell it (or borrow against it) to realize it's value.      

3 -- So, would having paid cash as you claim (he hasn't yet BTW), then mean he's out more money than owners who didn't spend the off-season buying land and a stadium -- because that was my point. 

4 -- Trout actually did get an upfront payment of 20 mil https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/al-west/la-angels/   Doesn't matter really...  Player salaries would actually be the weakest argument Arte could make because every team has them.   

Lastly.... while you were busy dismissing all the reasons why Arte couldnt make a "convincing" argument for being hit harder than most did you consider that given the Angels have a top 3-5 TV deal the would theoretically be one of the teams hardest hit by the lack of baseball games?   I mean, those are the sorts of revenue streams that Manfred was yapping about when he talked about the owners "losing money".

I'm not in Arte's camp on this -- the owners have been turning massive profits for years -- but when they line up to lie about their costs and all they money they are losing, Arte's going to have a bigger line of BS to spew than most.

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, but it's pretty obvious he's opened up his wallet more than just about any owner in MLB in the previous 18 months...  To argue otherwise is foolish.  

Like you said yourself, salaries are pretty much the same for big market teams.   So that leaves the stadium purchase.   Even if he had paid up front for the stadium and land...he would have increased his equity by more than he paid.    Not exactly a sound argument for pleading hardship.   BTW...This LA Times article from May 12th makes it seem like Arte are the city are renegotiating things and that Arte will be on the hook for paying $30M this season.      https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2020-05-12/angels-anaheim-stadium-sale-arte-moreno-deal-city-council   Not exactly a huge amount for a team worth nearly $2 Billion.

1 -- the team's value isn't realized until it's is sold or borrowed against.  He's still going to have to come out of pocket or add debt in the deal with Anaheim.   More importantly -- every owner in MLB has seen their values rise.

Which is why I said that, if he is cash poor at the moment, his $2B in equity will make a low interest loan very easy to obtain.

2 -  I missed where the city of Anaheim signed over the deed and said it's yours.   There have been a wide range of values depending on whether or not the stadium was demolished but again first he would have to PAY for the land, then he would have to sell it (or borrow against it) to realize it's value.      

I had heard from a few places  it was agreed that Arte would pay cash up front.   Turns out it is payments over time...beginning with $30M by Oct 2020.   Perhaps some people referred to it as a cash deal because Arte won't be seeking third party financing?  Perhaps I imagined the whole thing?  Don't know.

3 -- So, would having paid cash as you claim (he hasn't yet BTW), then mean he's out more money than owners who didn't spend the off-season buying land and a stadium -- because that was my point. 

Even if he had paid in full up front....the city gave him an amazing deal.   Arte's net worth goes up from that deal, not down.   Not really a hardship.  That was my point.

4 -- Trout actually did get an upfront payment of 20 mil https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/al-west/la-angels/   Doesn't matter really...  Player salaries would actually be the weakest argument Arte could make because every team has them.   

Oh come on.   Ok, he gave Trouty $20M of a $400M contract up front.   Like you say, it doesn't matter.

Lastly.... while you were busy dismissing all the reasons why Arte couldnt make a "convincing" argument for being hit harder than most did you consider that given the Angels have a top 3-5 TV deal the would theoretically be one of the teams hardest hit by the lack of baseball games?   I mean, those are the sorts of revenue streams that Manfred was yapping about when he talked about the owners "losing money".

I wasn't really all that busy.  I just didn't agree with you and I said why.   Is that ok?    I'm already afraid to post about buying commercial paper towels because Lou disapproves

I would guess that all teams will lose big bucks on TV revenue.   Bigger markets have bigger contracts, so they lose more.   But that doesn't convince me that smaller market teams wont suffer more.     The big market teams near the payroll tax threshold will also save more in salaries than smaller market teams.

I'm not in Arte's camp on this -- the owners have been turning massive profits for years -- but when they line up to lie about their costs and all they money they are losing, Arte's going to have a bigger line of BS to spew than most.

I do believe Arte excels at peeing on legs and telling people it is raining.   So, no doubt, he'll be spewing along with the best of them.