• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who was better? Tim Salmon or Garret Anderson

Who was the better player  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Who was better?

4 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

In regards to Anderson being a dick.

FWIW, a bases clearing double... to go ahead in game 7 of the world series, is pretty huge. Like that swing won the first and only ring in franchise history.

And his reaction looks like me, when they tell us so and so that I cant stand is getting promoted at work, and all the bosses are in the room.

Salmon came up big in that series too. Good times!

Anyway, Salmon was obviously better overall. But, GA was a better player than some of the hindsight nerds say he was. I think his longevity hurts his legacy for some reason.  The guy was a pretty damn solid player for a long time. And had a 2 year peak where he was a lot more than just solid. He was a star in 2002 and 2003. Pretty damn good career

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I think a few other reasons, too. He was home grown, played here for years and years, was an all star or runner up for a good stretch at his peak, and left here as a record holder in a lot of categories. 

Sure, a lot of us overrate him. And with how evaluations changed, he doesnt look as good in todays views. But its tough to say there was a better angel from 96 to 05. A few names from a particular year, like the vlad era starting. But aside from Salmon, GA was an Angel mainstay.

Youre right, the timing of when he was here helps a ton. But he was also one of the few positives from the dark years. And maybe even because he didnt have an off year like erstad and salmon in 01? Just consistent. .290 plus, 25-30 home runs, 100 rbi year in year out. Back then, those were what you looked for. 

Agreed on the part about him being homegrown.  It was the combo of him coming up from the farm and doing well and then the run of playoff years. He had a nice peak from age 28-31 and then post ASB 2003 turned into a different guy which was more like .290, 15, 85.  

Don't get me wrong, he was a pleasure to have on the team and we likely don't get a title without him so he'll always be regarded in my mind as an Angel great.  

What homegrown trio would you rather have knowing the outcomes of our former outfield greats vs. Trout, Adell and Marsh if you had to pick RIGHT NOW to start your team with.

Anderson, Edmonds or Estad and Salmon or Trout, Adell and Marsh

Obviously the Trout trio is the most appealing knowing you're getting Trout, the best player in baseball. But what if one or both of Adell and Marsh flame out? You got production from all three of our former outfield greats, but you wouldn't have the best player in the game. 

13 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Salmons 95 was better than anything GA ever did.  I know GA had a big year in 2000 but, nowhere near the season Salmon did.

Edit: I see this was already brought up.... Lol

dude, pay attention! or else you will hardly be conducive to a lightning bolt!

Not that this matters, just in the theme.

Memorable moments. Off the top of my head, the only Salmon one instantly coming to mind is the game 2 HR (second one).

GA is the game 7 double, the HR derby (and mvp), the 12 rbi game, and maybe that catch against the twins?

Anyone want to add to that? Salmon ROY,  but thats not really a "moment"

17 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Salmons 95 was better than anything GA ever did.  I know GA had a big year in 2000 but, nowhere near the season Salmon did.

Edit: I see this was already brought up.... Lol

Anderson had a wRC+ of 99 in 2000, so he was 1 percent below average. His 2.2 war that year in 159 games basically makes him 2017 Cole Calhoun. In fact looking closer Calhoun is a pretty good comp for him, without the 2 year peak and longevity (so far)