• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who was better? Tim Salmon or Garret Anderson

Who was the better player  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Who was better?

I will say this for GA; today we like to measure performance in terms of wins above replacement and in this context Salmon is a far superior player. But if we were to change the baseline performance to say, wins above an NCAA player, then in that context GA might actually win out. His ability to stay on the field is a big part of his value, and being out there contributing so often is a big reason why people have a more positive recollection of him than is merited by his value stats.

3 minutes ago, Dick B Back said:

If we only retired numbers of HOFers who retired with an Angels cap on, the wall would be almost bare and Mikey would be wearing #26 or somethin’.

Who said anything about only HOFers?

I am not a big fan of retiring numbers -- I would make an exception for the numbers already retired and for number 27 (but going to have to wait about 12-15 years).

I do think both Salmon and GA belong in the Halos HOF and they're already enshrined there I believe.

we have enough retired numbers -- and number 27 is going into the HOF - TWICE in Halos hat !!  Has that happened before -- a team with a player of the same number in the HOF?  (I am sure it has - -probably before teams starting retiring numbers).

5 minutes ago, disarcina said:

was always a huge fan of GA !  - look at his annual stats for about a ten year period -roughly 1984-1994 there abouts --

for a span of those years he was in the top three- to - five in the total hits category in all of MLB --- the guy topping him was Derek Jeter.

GA could field -- I think the comments about his 'laziness' in the field are not only inaccurate but offensive.

GA seemed to be loping after a fly ball when in reality  - If you really watched GA play - particularly CF -- he got such a good read of the ball off the bat and a good jump -- he didn't need to run all out (which can actually make catching the fly ball/ line drive more difficult) because he was pretty much there at the spot of the ball -- GA also must have positioned himself well in the OF to get those jumps and read on the ball.

GA was very consistent. He was well on his way to a 3,000 total career hit total when he injured his back stopping his consistent hit total of about 175 hits a season.

I think GA is one of the great all time Halos. Not dis-respect to Timmy Salmon who is also a all time great Halo and a face of the franchise player (something GA never was and really shied away from) - I just think GA was the better all around ballplayer and athlete. I'm pretty sure GA played three sports in high school -- that used to be the norm for great players -- it's becoming less and less the case these days as players tend to focus on just one sport these days from an early age. Not a good development IMO.

The bottom line is that GA has larger totals because he put the ball in play so often. He never took a walk and he quite literally almost never got hit by a pitch. All those balls in play lead to a lot of hits, a lot of doubles, a lot of double plays and a lot of outs. He is responsible for almost 2000 more career outs than Salmon, which is something the big GA fans brush aside.