• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who was better? Tim Salmon or Garret Anderson

Who was the better player  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Who was better?

2 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Crazy that in hella less at bats and games played, Mike Trout has a higher WAR than both Tim Salmon and Garret Anderson. 

Screen Shot 2020-03-03 at 9.18.07 AM.png

Not that crazy.... Tim Salmon and Garrett Anderson are not even on the same planet talent wise as Mike. Mike is gonna go down as a top 10 player of all time. That’s like saying it’s crazy Willie Mays has a better WAR then Salmon and Anderson.

29 minutes ago, Bronson said:

Not that crazy.... Tim Salmon and Garrett Anderson are not even on the same planet talent wise as Mike. Mike is gonna go down as a top 10 player of all time. That’s like saying it’s crazy Willie Mays has a better WAR then Salmon and Anderson.

It's crazy that a human can best two really good players WAR in less at bats and games played. That's what's nuts IMO.

3 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

It's crazy that a human can best two really good players WAR in less at bats and games played. That's what's nuts IMO.

Yeah I get it but it’s Mike Trout.. this is why he might go down as the greatest ever. So that’s why I’m really not surprised.

GA is a great example of how our eyes can often deceive us from the reality of the game. He has 855 more career hits than Salmon. That's nearly 1000 more times fans were reminded of his talent. Less memorable were the nearly 2000 additional outs he made. GA was better at staying on the field but not much else.

15 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

GA is a great example of how our eyes can often deceive us from the reality of the game. He has 855 more career hits than Salmon. That's nearly 1000 more times fans were reminded of his talent. Less memorable were the nearly 2000 additional outs he made. GA was better at staying on the field but not much else.

Salmon had 541 more walks and 59 more HBP than GA, which closes a ton of that hit-gap in terms of the broader sense of getting on base--which Timmy obviously excelled at.

7 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Salmon had 541 more walks and 59 more HBP than GA, which closes a ton of that hit-gap in terms of the broader sense of getting on base--which Timmy obviously excelled at.

Yes, walks an hit by pitch aren’t all that exciting though. 2000 additional outs in exchange for a couple hundred more times on base is a terrible trade off.

3 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I mean, the numbers say Salmon walked more. But having seen GA play in the outfield, Im positive he walked more.

In regards to Anderson being a dick.

FWIW, a bases clearing double... to go ahead in game 7 of the world series, is pretty huge. Like that swing won the first and only ring in franchise history.

And his reaction looks like me, when they tell us so and so that I cant stand is getting promoted at work, and all the bosses are in the room.

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

In regards to Anderson being a dick.

FWIW, a bases clearing double... to go ahead in game 7 of the world series, is pretty huge. Like that swing won the first and only ring in franchise history.

And his reaction looks like me, when they tell us so and so that I cant stand is getting promoted at work, and all the bosses are in the room.

Yeah he really was an all business type guy emotionally on the field.  I would've thought GA was the better player for some reason but looking at the stats it's clearly Salmon but i love them both so it's okay. 

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

I think one of the reasons GA is remembered so fondly is that he was one of the middle of the lineup guys for probably the greatest time in Angels baseball where the team made the playoffs 6 times in 8 years.  He was a solid player and that's about it.  

I think a few other reasons, too. He was home grown, played here for years and years, was an all star or runner up for a good stretch at his peak, and left here as a record holder in a lot of categories. 

Sure, a lot of us overrate him. And with how evaluations changed, he doesnt look as good in todays views. But its tough to say there was a better angel from 96 to 05. A few names from a particular year, like the vlad era starting. But aside from Salmon, GA was an Angel mainstay.

Youre right, the timing of when he was here helps a ton. But he was also one of the few positives from the dark years. And maybe even because he didnt have an off year like erstad and salmon in 01? Just consistent. .290 plus, 25-30 home runs, 100 rbi year in year out. Back then, those were what you looked for. 

8 hours ago, Bronson said:

Garrett Anderson had the best individual season out of the two but Salmon had a better overall career.

Salmons 95 was better than anything GA ever did.  I know GA had a big year in 2000 but, nowhere near the season Salmon did.

Edit: I see this was already brought up.... Lol