• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

It’s not about “impatience” if the original deal wasn’t on the table anymore.

UndertheHalo

26 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Pitchers and catchers report tomorrow.  Arte has a point of view.  Even if it is a wrong headed one.  It would be nice for him to explain his thinking.  I don’t expect that he will, but we’ll see.  It would be a good gesture. 

What could he say that would change your mind? 

Maybe change your mind is the wrong way to phrase it. What could he say that would make you feel better? 

5 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Im not looking for him to change my mind.  I just want to know what motivated him to do it.  If it’s just as simple as “fuck the dodgers for making me wait” fine.  I’d just be interested to know. 

I get wanting closure on it. I can see him saying some sort of spin to make him look better. But at the end of the day it just seems like his emotions got the best of him. How do you say that to the media, even where we live in this super cushy spot that’s not going to go over well. Unless he just makes it a joke and tries to laugh it off. But who knows. 

Isn’t it possible that during the 5 or 6 days when details of the trade between the Dodgers and Angels were leaked that other teams approached the Dodgers with offers that they felt may have been more attractive than what the Angels were rumored to be offering?  Maybe the Dodgers realized they could do separate trades for Pederson and Stradling that would net more than what the Angels were offering?   I can’t see Arte nixing a trade that the organization had already had an agreement to do....

11 hours ago, RBM said:

“It wasn’t sorted out until Sunday, when the three teams finally agreed to make two separate trades, rather than one three-way deal. But by then Moreno had reportedly become so irritated with the delay that he pulled the Angels out of their deal.“

- Jeff Fletcher

And what does Fletcher quote contradicts my scenario.  I said Arte pulled out of the deal.  It also been reported that after the three way deal the Dodgers didn't want to revive it because "it no longer made sense"

I almost kinda get the sense that the Dogs response was a version of 'whatever dude'.  

the crazy thing is that they already waited 5 days and then at the very end Arte pulls the plug.  

it's like they had a reservation at a nice restaurant and when they got there they still had to wait for two hours.  So they waited the whole time and then when the host was ready to seat them, they told him to go F himself and everyone went home hungry.  

4 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

So it is what it is.  The Angels really need to explain themselves.  They probably won’t but they should.  

The Angels don't, Arte does.... starting with the players.

He can't really walk into the clubhouse and make demands of players or his coaches after having essentially undermined Eppler's efforts (and the team's chances), without expecting some blowback from them IMO.  I think everyone understands the dude is a straight shooter and Arte has always had the reputation for being a principled person, I'm sure that commands respect in the clubhouse....  But this wasn't about principles so much as it was petulance and that isn't going to fly.  Not with fans, not with players.  Nor should it.

Arte gets to wear this.  It's entirely rational to question whether or not the Dodgers would have attempted to change the deal, and I doubt anyone would have had faulted him for pulling out had that happened, but it doesn't seem it ever got to that point, reports are he had already walked away.  It's an ugly look.

Arte saying nothing is totally chicken-shit IMO.  Leaving Eppler no option other than to go out and make that "non statement" yesterday was disgraceful.  The dude put in the work and the only thing he has to show for it is an empty statement covering for his boss' ass.  Eppler deserved better, everyone associated with this franchise deserved better than having the owner go all Veruca Salt on them.

Say something Arte.

4 hours ago, Kevinb said:

What could he say that would change your mind? 

Maybe change your mind is the wrong way to phrase it. What could he say that would make you feel better? 

You know.... A simple yeah, I let my desire to win get the best of me maybe would go a long ways towards at least making me believe he's given some thought to his actions.  It's his team, he's put up a lot of money, I know he can do whatever he wants but as a former MLB commissioner once said, "baseball is a public trust".

You lose the faith of the fans, you lose everything.

This was a loss.

11 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I haven’t heard otherwise, so yes. 

Well the only people that would tell you otherwise would be the Dodgers FO since the Angels didn’t seem to go far enough into the process to see. Now why would the Dodgers admit that they were going to alter the deal that was agreed upon and make themselves look bad if they don’t have to? Maybe the reason you haven’t heard otherwise is because the Dodgers don’t want to admit it and would rather blow it off on the Angels?

22 minutes ago, tennischmp said:

I for a second don’t believe the Dodgers would make a trade that was no longer beneficial to them financially and roster wise just out the goodness of their hearts.

Well yeah now that Arte pulled out, they have no reason to make it.

9 minutes ago, Lou said:

How do we know Eppler didn't agree with Arte? 

This is a better point than many will give credit for..   But I will say this much, I believe if he did, the statement yesterday wouldn't have been as vague.   At the end of the day I think Eppler is exempt from any criticism in this case.

Just now, Lou said:

Yeah, i just don't get the incessant need to attach blame. The deal didn't happen. I don't care who is to blame. I just know it would have been a good trade for us.

(Of course, I say this without even actually knowing what the deal was)

But how can we bitch if we don't attach blame?

4 minutes ago, Lou said:

Yeah, i just don't get the incessant need to attach blame. The deal didn't happen. I don't care who is to blame. I just know it would have been a good trade for us.

(Of course, I say this without even actually knowing what the deal was)

Another good comment, and I get it, I don't really like the blame games much either.  But, I genuinely believe Arte looks bad here.   Just a bad look overall that feeds into the perception that he is a meddlesome owner -- something we had not seen as much of in recent years.

My guess and this is pure speculation on my part (of course) is that Arte is fed up with losing. He might be thinking - I've let my baseball people do it all and all it got me was the worst season in recent memory. I let them replace Scioscia. I let them bring in a whole new pitching philosophy and I let them throw my money at Cahill, Allen and Harvey. I ended up with a crappy manager, crappy pitching coach, horrible pitching and on top of everything else - we lost Tyler.  He's had enough. He went out and got Joe Maddon. He went out and got Rendon.  I believe if he really wanted Cole, he would have found a way to sign him. He wanted Rendon more. I don't doubt for a single moment that Arte wants to win. He's obsessed with it. He's not content to continue just letting others spend his money. He's going to micromanage this process for better or worse. We know he's an emotional guy. We know he holds grudges. We know he's big on loyalty and a handshake deal should count.  He doesn't like to get pissed on and he's not going to take crap from anyone. I also believe he hates the Dodgers. He wants a bigger share of the LA market. I'm guessing (again) that the idea of helping the Dodgers out so that they could acquire Mookie Betts didn't sit well with him and the more he thought about it, the more he hated the idea. He's a competitive guy. He wants to win and he feels he needs to control more of the team's destiny at this point because the last several years hasn't given him what he wants.

That's my 22 cents worth.