• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

It’s not about “impatience” if the original deal wasn’t on the table anymore.

UndertheHalo

23 minutes ago, tennischmp said:

Is it also possible the Dodgers knew it was a bad deal even before Arte let them off the hook, and would have nixed or altered the deal after the Boston/Minnesota deals were complete but have no reason to admit it to you or any other reporters?

Well, it was always Rengifo and "others," right? Did we ever establish who they were? That could very well be the issue of contention even if it wasn't cited that the Dodgers wanted to change the deal.

10 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Fully hypothetical question:

If the Angels announce a trade for a good starting pitcher in a week, will the media automatically assume this new trade was a recovery move from the failed deal with the Dodgers?

Or will they dig deeper to find out if something was developing while the Angels were stuck in purgatory with the Dodgers, to the point where It made sense to bail out of purgatory to pursue the new deal?

Again, totally hypothetical and I am not saying this is actually what happened.

I am just a mental slave to considering things that actually explain things and make sense rather than just blindly accept storylines that don’t quite add up.

My guess is the “Arte is a nut job” narrative is just too valuable for for the media to give up.  

jpeg
The Net Worth Of These Celebrities Will Blow You Away!
Celebrities Who Are Few Of The World's Richest Billionaires.
breakfastfeeds.com

I don't think they would automatically think that because the Angels are shall I say desperate for pitching, especially if this good pitcher was better than Stripling. I really don't think the media is that invested in what happened in the trade since it was a bit minor.. 

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

It’s going to depend on the cost to acquire the player.  So lets say the Angels trade Rengifo for Chris Archer, it will be assumed this was because the Angels had to make a move after they screwed up.  If the Angels give up Marsh for Gray it will be that Eppler panicked or Arte forced his hand.  Now if the Angels trade Rengifo and get Archer there will be outrage.  Then if Archer pitches well this season the outrage will only last until Archer is bad again and Stripling has a good start.  

The funny thing is, Strippling is now the leagues most readily available mid rotation starting pitcher, while Rengifo is still our most expendable asset.

8 hours ago, ettin said:

Hi Jeff, I have hesitated to speculate on any part of this story because it is not the right thing to do. All we have heard reported is that Arte killed a proposed deal on the table.

Do you have any additional insight/knowledge that you can share with us here about this situation? Was there an original deal that was changed that infuriated Arte? Did the players suggested shift? Was there a hot point that resulted in a change of attitude on either side? Did Moreno just get enraged by the delay and decided that it wasn't "good business practice" to keep the Angels waiting and he flew into a fit as some here believe he did?

I know you are probably getting a ton of questions about it I am just trying to understand if we have more facts than just Arte nixed a deal?

I don’t have anything to report to you guys besides what you’ve read. 

Just in general, this is a public forum so it’s not like we’re just sitting in a bar. I am not going to say anything to you guys here that I couldn’t report elsewhere. 

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

8 hours ago, dprep80 said:

Just to clarify, we don't know for sure that the offer was the same and all the Angels had to do was wait and/or say yes?

I believe the deal was the same but I haven’t been able to ask a lot of super specific questions since no one wants to talk about it. I’m sure I’ll learn more in the coming days and weeks and hopefully will able to report it. 

2 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Just in general, this is a public forum so it’s not like we’re just sitting in a bar. I am not going to say anything to you guys here that I couldn’t report elsewhere. 

@Jeff Fletcher  I guess we know the answer but any reason to think the trade gets revisited (I know Eppler said today that nothing is active)....it does still make sense for both teams....

8 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Most certainly the Angels were staying close to the Dodgers during the Dodgers adjustments to the Betts deal.

I still personally find it not very believable that the Dodgers didn’t ever indicate at all during that process (as the final adjustments to the Betts deal we’re developing and emerging) that their deal with the Angels wasn’t really necessary.

If the Dodgers gave any indication at all that their need or motivation for the Angel trade was changing, it 100% justifies the Angels pulling out basically saying there is no reason to be on hold when there is no guarantee we actually have the deal we discussed.

I believe the sources that say Arte pulled out.  It still seems a bit absurd to assume he pulled out without a valid reason. . .like there is no reason to keep hanging around on hold for a deal they have indicated isn’t actually set anymore.

Eppler said today he has no active trade discussions ongoing. 

42 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I wasn't asking for insider knowledge but more to anything that we the fans were missing that was part of this unfortunately vague story.

Thanks!

21 minutes ago, ettin said:

I wasn't asking for insider knowledge but more to anything that we the fans were missing that was part of this unfortunately vague story.

Thanks!

Trust me. I wish I knew more and could report it to everyone. It puzzles me as much as it puzzles you guys. 

We will have a chance to talk to Arte at some point soon. 

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I think @Jeff Fletcher just offered to buy us all beers.  

6 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Is there a mailing address we can forward you booze in hopes you get lit up and start yapping?