• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Joc Pederson, Mike Trout, Justin Upton & Jo Adell

Chuck

5 hours ago, Jason said:

Honestly, I don't think Pederson will part of the Halos' plan after this season. This is a good stop gap in LF until Adell is the starter in '21 

I think it's more that Upton is the stopgap now.  He's 32, and has 3 years left on his contract.  If Adell is a starter in 21, that would leave 2 years left on his contract.  He'd be expensive, but a good bat off the bench.  And if he doesn't like that roll, then he could ask for a trade.  

And BTW, Pujols has 2 years left.  

I still haven't given up on Upton.   He just had a very nice season for us in 2018  (3.7 WAR) and he will only be 32 this year.    He has averaged 118 games per season over 14 seasons (Throwing out his 43 game season as a 19 y.o. rookie)....and that includes his only two seasons that were severely cut by injuries.   I think he's a solid player.    It seems like he gets a reputation as someone who needs "a fire lit under him," but I believe you don't play 14 years in the MLB at a fairly high level if you need fire lit under you.    He's not the most outspoken guy and I think this rubs some people the wrong way....I value spark plug type guys on a team but the quiet ones who can play have their place too.

I'm cool with the trade, but I don't see how this doesn't block Adell a little... unless there's an injury of some kind in spring training... or a trade.  I'd be very surprised if Adell is on the Opening Day roster.  Before yesterday, I thought it was likely.  50/50 at worst.  If Upton and Pederson play decently, it might be a tough call.  If one of them tears it up to begin the season, and Adell is doing well....  maybe a trade opens up.  

Stripling is going to help the 2020 team.... and however long they have him for (2 years?).  

Pederson would likely outperform Adell this season.

Great trade.  Weird, but sneaky good off season.   Looking forward to March 6th and March 26th.

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Adell wasn’t starting the season with the Angels.  He would have and may still be called up in late April.  This gives them another year of control.

They might have started the year with him if he did great in Spring but not likely now. I doubt that Eppler was calling Friedman for Joc. Probably called earlier on Stripling, or another one of the starters but this move is likely on the Dodgers to clear payroll room. They were the likely instigators. 

I give Eppler full credit for seemingly winning the trade and getting the dodgers to give up Joc and Stripling and a prospect for Rengifo some prospects that aren’t top guys apparently according to Fabian but also the ability to stay under the tax line. There are other teams that would’ve taken the full Pederson deal and Stripling though but for how much in prospects. 

10 minutes ago, Hubs said:

They might have started the year with him if he did great in Spring but not likely now. I doubt that Eppler was calling Friedman for Joc. Probably called earlier on Stripling, or another one of the starters but this move is likely on the Dodgers to clear payroll room. They were the likely instigators. 

I give Eppler full credit for seemingly winning the trade and getting the dodgers to give up Joc and Stripling and a prospect for Rengifo some prospects that aren’t top guys apparently according to Fabian but also the ability to stay under the tax line. There are other teams that would’ve taken the full Pederson deal and Stripling though but for how much in prospects. 

I highly doubt they would give up the 7th year of control for 15 games in April.  I mean I could be wrong, but virtually no teams have done that with their top guys.  

43 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I highly doubt they would give up the 7th year of control for 15 games in April.  I mean I could be wrong, but virtually no teams have done that with their top guys.  

Remember the CBA expires soon, and this may change. We brought Ohtani up to start the season in 2018. 

As soon as the Angels believe Adell is one of their three best outfielders, he’ll be out there. Raising the bar to get him in the lineup doesn’t hurt anyone. All that hurts is if they would keep a worse player ahead of him for some other reason. But the Angels will have no investment in Pederson’s future, so if at some point he’s on the bench and his feelings are hurt, I don’t think the Angels will worry about it. 

Also, they could definitely use him as a defensive replacement for Upton or even to give Upton more days off or more DH days. Or be covered if Upton goes on the IL. Or maybe to give Trout more DH days. Or even to have Adell start off by splitting time and gradually increase it.

They also may try the 1B thing with Pederson again in spring training and see how that looks. Maybe with a spring to work on it, instead of trying on the fly mid season, it will be better. 

Also, Albert Pujols is 40. If he gets hurt, or even just plays less, that will open up DH time.

This shouldn’t be a problem 

Edited by Jeff Fletcher