• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Angels "could" have a really good supporting cast behind Ohtani in the rotation

Chuck

2 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Well 100 as a "MAX" is far too low. I think we're just arguing semantics at this point.

I think he'll reach 125 innings at least. If he doesn't, something has gone wrong. He can't just slowly work his way up there. If that's the case he won't reach 125+ innings until 2022. Obviously take it easy, but I think 5 innings per start over 25 starts max isn't much to ask. If he can't even do that then just make him the full time DH.

I can see potential for 130 innings in 2020, 150 innings in 2021, and 170 innings in 2022, which will likely be the max going forward from there.

So TORS ( @ten ocho recon scout ), in the other thread that died an early death, you asked for comps so I pulled Statcast data for pitchers that generate similar types of contact (barrels, poor top, poor bottom, etc.): https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/affinity-pitchersAndHitters-byHittingProfile#players=pitchers&player=548389-R&s=0.8

Capture.JPG

So in terms of quality of contact, Stripling is actually quite similar to Tyler Mahle (.87 comparability rating), whom I wrote up as a different potential target in the Starting Pitcher Trade Series: 

Additionally, Ross compares favorably to Clayton Kershaw (0.84) and Zack Greinke (0.86), too. Even Matt Andriese is listed there at 0.82.

Each of these pitchers may use different methods or pitch mixes to achieve the results but it helps identify pitchers of the same ilk who create similar types of contact off the bat. The fact that he compares well to Kershaw, Greinke, Marquez, et. al., combined with Chuck's sharing of the xwOBA data, points to a starter who has good capability, at least in his current role as a hybrid starter/reliever. Who knows if that will change if the Angels move him full-time into the rotation or if his limited velocity prevents him from reaching a higher ceiling or not. Remember all of the pitchers we just compared him too have at least a couple miles per hour more or greater than Stripling does so velocity may play a factor in keeping Ross in his current form, which is perfectly fine for the Angels right now.

29 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Thanks @ettin

So is stripling a 3 in a good rotation, 2 in an average one, more or less?

I would probably guess a solid #3 if he were to pitch a full slate of innings as a starter. He would have flashes of upside (and downside). If one of his less-used pitches, like his sinker, became more viable he might tilt in a #2 direction, possibly. His expected weighted on-base average that Chuck shared is very interesting to me, because it is showing that the projections believe he should be better so there is something going on with Stripling that has some goodness to it. Proof is in the pudding and on the field but I feel good about the (potential) acquisition and the comparison to Tyler Mahle, Clayton Kershaw, and Zach Greinke is encouraging, too, in terms of quality of contact.

In the end if he can just give us solid outings, length, and our new super-charged offense a chance to win games we will be happy overall with the results I think.

10 hours ago, ettin said:

I would probably guess a solid #3 if he were to pitch a full slate of innings as a starter. He would have flashes of upside (and downside). If one of his less-used pitches, like his sinker, became more viable he might tilt in a #2 direction, possibly. His expected weighted on-base average that Chuck shared is very interesting to me, because it is showing that the projections believe he should be better so there is something going on with Stripling that has some goodness to it. Proof is in the pudding and on the field but I feel good about the (potential) acquisition and the comparison to Tyler Mahle, Clayton Kershaw, and Zach Greinke is encouraging, too, in terms of quality of contact.

In the end if he can just give us solid outings, length, and our new super-charged offense a chance to win games we will be happy overall with the results I think.

damn.  now I want pudding.  

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

Ok I’ll change the cross bars.   Wouldn’t you prefer great to good?  And when traveling how do you know if a place is good or not?   

Prefer? Sure. 

Obsess and make it a priority when planning a trip? No. 

I'm fine with good food.