• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19

• Replies 30.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lhalo

• Jason

• St1ck

• tdawg87

12 minutes ago, calscuf said:

I have herd immunity!

Congratulations! You did it!

Maybe I'm just being super overly hopeful, but it looks like New York is doing alright now. I'd like to think that everyone will wear a mask more or less and that we can keep things manageable (like we should have since like March, honestly).

This is not an ordinary flu, I know this for sure. However, we can clearly control the severity of its impact with behavior modifications.

1 hour ago, fishbulb said:

Maybe I'm just being super overly hopeful, but it looks like New York is doing alright now. I'd like to think that everyone will wear a mask more or less and that we can keep things manageable (like we should have since like March, honestly).

This is not an ordinary flu, I know this for sure. However, we can clearly control the severity of its impact with behavior modifications.

I find that it's weird that all of a sudden NY got better.  It's not like they drastically changed things.  

When it's all said and done, there might be something about this virus that affects only certain people.  Pure speculation, but that certain % of people might be very susceptible, and the rest of us not very.  And when that % of susceptible people get it, then the virus has no where else to go and slowly dies off.  

In other worlds, Cals is the weak link, and now that he got it, we can all party.

2 hours ago, fishbulb said:

I know the experts won’t agree, and I am no medical professional, but I think we will have herd immunity in nine months or so. So many people have contracted the virus, and are still contracting it, that the numbers suggest the majority of Americans will have had this in six months or so.

59 minutes ago, calscuf said:

I’ve been to AW events.  Knowing what we know about the virus and who it affects more, if everyone here got it, I would probably be one of the few still posting 3 weeks later.  

I'll take that bet.

Someone give me Covid.

9 hours ago, gotbeer said:

I find that it's weird that all of a sudden NY got better.  It's not like they drastically changed things.  

When it's all said and done, there might be something about this virus that affects only certain people.  Pure speculation, but that certain % of people might be very susceptible, and the rest of us not very.  And when that % of susceptible people get it, then the virus has no where else to go and slowly dies off.  

In other worlds, Cals is the weak link, and now that he got it, we can all party.

NY reopened a month later than any other other state and opened much slower. NYC has only hit Phase 4 a week ago. I would say that is pretty drastically different from the rest. 

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

New York killed 32,000 people by gross mismanagement. That is 4 times more than California, six times more than Texas and Florida. They are no shining example of how to handle the pandemic. 

There are better examples, for sure. South Korea, while not perfect, definitely responded more competently.

16 minutes ago, fishbulb said:

There are better examples, for sure. South Korea, while not perfect, definitely responded more competently.

When I was in Vegas in March.  My friends, who are Hawaiian, met us for Korean BBQ.  All three of them wore masks.  They got evil looks from all the whitey's and were avoided like they had the plague.  In South Korea, it would have been business as usual.  

Culture probably played the biggest role in Asia and Asians slowing the spread.  I don't think the government could have responded any differently.  Because that mask hurdle was practically non existant for the yellows, but for white, blacks, and browns it was as high as the Empire State Building.

15 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

When I was in Vegas in March.  My friends, who are Hawaiian, met us for Korean BBQ.  All three of them wore masks.  They got evil looks from all the whitey's and were avoided like they had the plague.  In South Korea, it would have been business as usual.  

Culture probably played the biggest role in Asia and Asians slowing the spread.  I don't think the government could have responded any differently.  Because that mask hurdle was practically non existant for the yellows, but for white, blacks, and browns it was as high as the Empire State Building.

You're so, so right about culture.

I think the government could have responded differently with clear communication and a reasonable approach. The culture would have had to be a key consideration. Unfortunately, that was never in the cards given the people that are involved. This could have been handled so much better than it was. It's very frustrating. It's very sad.

Also, I want Korean BBQ now. That sounds like a great idea for lunch.

1 hour ago, gotbeer said:

whenever I've played golf at Griffith park, there are always asians there wearing masks. always. this has been going on for 25 years.

They were closer to the action and had a lot more information earlier but also they have a more totalitarian government with a population that has been on military readiness for 60+ years with mandatory service time for all male adults. 

So, there is no apples to apples comparing. 

You're so, so right about culture.

I think the government could have responded differently with clear communication and a reasonable approach. The culture would have had to be a key consideration. Unfortunately, that was never in the cards given the people that are involved. This could have been handled so much better than it was. It's very frustrating. It's very sad.

Also, I want Korean BBQ now. That sounds like a great idea for lunch.

Yum! Marinated pork belly and kimchi 

7 minutes ago, Blarg said:

They were closer to the action and had a lot more information earlier but also they have a more totalitarian government with a population that has been on military readiness for 60+ years with mandatory service time for all male adults. 

So, there is no apples to apples comparing. 

Nobody said anything about apples.

Our government's approach SUCKED. It's pretty undeniable.

Our government responded to the WHO recommendations and guidelines in a democratic way rather than a police state. Every country that didn't completely control their populations activities before through totalitarian rule ended up with the same problems. 

11 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Our government responded to the WHO recommendations and guidelines in a democratic way rather than a police state. Every country that didn't completely control their populations activities before through totalitarian rule ended up with the same problems. 

Ok. Sure. You're right. We did as good a job as was possible here and any other outcome other than the one we have was impossible. They did a great job given the circumstances.