• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Fangraphs / pitcher lists writers high on Patrick Sandoval

Hufflepuff

A guy named Nick Pollack who started a baseball site called pitcherlist and a fangraphs contributor named Paul Sporer are both high on Patrick Sandoval. Both have done really well in picking breakout prospects or bounce back players. I attached the small blurb:

DB955AB9-972A-4ECB-A275-4667DA801877.png
Our pitching certainly isn’t a sure thing, but it wouldn’t surprise me if our rotation performs well.

Edited by Hufflepuff
Accidental submission

The way I see it, Pat Sandoval is the sort of pitcher I would buy low on if I were a GM. Why? His fastball is trending upward, his delivery is still simplistic and he owns an absolutely devastating change up. Guys with that profile, get better over time, as they learn to add and subtract from their fastball, and spot their breaking ball.

Matthew Boyd on the others has one of the best breaking balls in all major league baseball. But since his debut, the fastball has gone from 93-95 to 90-92 and the change up still isn't developing into anything more than a show me pitch. The reason for the high ERA is because when hitters guess right on a 91 mph fastball, it's BP. And the K's are so high because it doesn't matter if they guess right on his breaking ball. You can't do much damage on a ball that breaks that far horizontally.

End result is that in 2020, Boyd is the better pitcher of the two. If the Angels got him, I think the ERA would drop down between 4.00-4.25. Sandoval would develop though. By 2021, they'd be roughly equal in value, and 2022 and beyond, Sandoval would develop into a solid #3/4 starter. 

Basically what I'm saying is that if the quality of starter the Angels are looking at is Matt Boyd, they're better off going with Sandoval. The only way I don't roll with Patrick is if they get a legitimate mid rotation starter or better.

Otherwise, Sandoval is the better long term investment.

Sandoval has some killer spin rate on his curve ball which is his primary strikeout tool. Also his exit velocity on both his fastball and change up are upper and lower 80's, respectively.

Like Ward on the position player side, I think Sandoval is just a short step away from amazing Angels fans!

Just now, ettin said:

Sandoval has some killer spin rate on his curve ball which is his primary strikeout tool. Also his exit velocity on both his fastball and change up are upper and lower 80's, respectively.

Like Ward on the position player side, I think Sandoval is just a short step away from amazing Angels fans!

From what I’ve seen the Angels appear to have no interest in giving Ward much of a shot. 

2 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

From what I’ve seen the Angels appear to have no interest in giving Ward much of a shot. 

Actually I am not so sure about that, they had him playing in LF and 3B primarily in 2019 plus some time at 1B and RF. Now that may be the team trying to show his versatility to other clubs but it also fits some of the Angels potential utility needs too.

We'll see, I do agree that they have not been overly enamored with him in previous seasons.

1 minute ago, tdawg87 said:

I assume Doug White had precisely nothing to do with that move.

I would not assume that. 

I did a big story on White at the end of the year and the only bad thing anyone said about him was he had some communication issues, mostly early in the year. Pitchers said he did know his stuff, and he definitely helped a few of them. Bedrosian said he pretty much turned his career around with one drill. 

I wonder if he got fired for the same reason as Ausmus: Arte saw someone else available that he wanted.