• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Schoenfield predicts the Angels will sign Ryu and Teheran

stevestevens

13 minutes ago, Angels_Fan said:

Teheran’s results look like smoke and mirrors. He had a 5-6+ ERA in 3 months last season. The month where he had a 0.98 ERA, he allowed 15 walks to 19 strikeouts in 27 innings with a high fly ball % He just seems like the kind of pitcher who will have it all catch up to him eventually. And this isn’t the same Teheran from 2013-2016 regardless.

You get Teheran if you can get him for a cheaper price and to be a guy who can pretty much guarantee you 175+ innings of work.  The rotation needs another guy like that besides Bundy.  Actually, they need a few of those guys.  Ohtani will be on an inning count, Heaney is injury prone and Canning hasn't proven anything yet.  Teheran is just fine for a fourth guy in a rotation.

Keuchel, Ohtani, Bundy, Teheran, Canning and Heaney is a solid rotation.

Edited by VariousCrap

3 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

You get Teheran if you can get him for a cheaper price and to be a guy who can pretty much guarantee you 175+ innings of work.  The rotation needs another guy like that besides Bundy.  Actually, they need a few of those guys.  Ohtani will be on an inning count, Heaney is injury prone and Canning hasn't proven anything yet.  Teheran is just fine for a fourth guy in a rotation.

Keuchel, Ohtani, Bundy, Teheran, Canning and Heaney is a solid rotation.

This is the problem with Ryu. You’re probably getting higher quality innings, but the injury concern is real. 

Just now, Pancake Bear said:

This is the problem with Ryu. You’re probably getting higher quality innings, but the injury concern is real. 

Precisely why im not a fan, will cost more and carries much higher risk.
Honestly, at his point ive gone full the other direction.
Get Kuechel, Teheran, Castro, and one of Calhoun or Puig and wait for spring training.   
Substitute a trade for any one of those but the OF of course.

I must admit the idea of Puig on a 1 yr with something to prove really entices me.  Hes the kind of guy that could get pissed and just go off trying to prove he deserves better.  Trade him at the deadline when the kids are ready for a rental SP or long term... problem solved.  

5 minutes ago, floplag said:

I must admit the idea of Puig on a 1 yr with something to prove really entices me.  Hes the kind of guy that could get pissed and just go off trying to prove he deserves better.  Trade him at the deadline when the kids are ready for a rental SP or long term... problem solved.  

I get the idea here, but if you are going to do a one year deal for RF, I'd prefer bringing Kole back for one year and not have the Puig attitude issues.

Edited by VariousCrap

34 minutes ago, Angels_Fan said:

Teheran’s results look like smoke and mirrors. He had a 5-6+ ERA in 3 months last season. The month where he had a 0.98 ERA, he allowed 15 walks to 19 strikeouts in 27 innings with a high fly ball % He just seems like the kind of pitcher who will have it all catch up to him eventually. And this isn’t the same Teheran from 2013-2016 regardless.

Yup

Anyone who thinks this guy is a difference maker should ask themselves why did the Braves leave him off their playoff roster

12 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

I get the idea here, but if you are going to do a one year deal for RF, I'd prefer bringing Kole back for one year and not have the Puig attitude issues.

id be fine with either, but you dont often see guys come back for huge cuts especially knowing its short term. 
Puig, with all his attitude issues, would do it intentionally to reset his value and that chip on his shoulder might be huge motivation. 
Its just a random thought but even in what most would call a down year he put up numbers and still has that arm for the defensive side of things.  

7 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Yup

Anyone who thinks this guy is a difference maker should ask themselves why did the Braves leave him off their playoff roster

I dont think anyone would be asking him to be a difference maker, just eat innings and keep the club in the game.   Anyone that has any illusions beyond that are not seeing it right. 

1 hour ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

I feel like Teheran is overlooked.

• entering age 29 season.
  • career 3.6 ERA (still solid lately too)
  • Highly durable (30+ starts each of last SEVEN seasons)

I agree that Teheran could be good so I asked about him today and told no. 

Doesn’t mean they won’t change their minds, or perhaps that the person I asked isn’t 100 percent up to date, but this guy said no. 

10 minutes ago, floplag said:

I dont think anyone would be asking him to be a difference maker, just eat innings and keep the club in the game.   Anyone that has any illusions beyond that are not seeing it right. 

You're describing a number 4-5 starter which we have 7 or 8 of already. 

We need at least a number 2 type pitcher, probably two depending on one's expectations of Ohtani. 

3 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

No, the Angels don't.  A 4-5 is at least an inning eater and it was very evident the Angels didn't have that last year.

Edited by VariousCrap

13 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I agree that Teheran could be good so I asked about him today and told no. 

Doesn’t mean they won’t change their minds, or perhaps that the person I asked isn’t 100 percent up to date, but this guy said no. 

With available arms getting signed almost daily, I don't think the Angels are in a position to take any arm off the potential signing list.  Doesn't seem smart to me.

7 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

We need at least a number 2 type pitcher, probably two depending on one's expectations of Ohtani. 

No, we dont, at least not who eat 170+ innings.  We had one starter go over 100 last year, one, and that was Trevor Cahill. 
Now i do expect some of the kids to extend this year and that they will be better, but well see.

We had some relievers pitch almost as many innings as some of our starters. 

5 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Keuchel fits the profile of what the Angels can do in terms of a solid infield. He would also likely get around or maybe less of what Bumgarner got. 

I'd say for Eppler to talk to Arte about opening the budget for Keuchel AND Teheran, then trade for Wilson Contreras. 

He should not get Bumgardner money, he isnt on that same level, i would say slightly less maybe 15-16 at this point at most.   Somewhere between Roark and MadBum 

16 minutes ago, floplag said:

No, we dont, at least not who eat 170+ innings.  We had one starter go over 100 last year, one, and that was Trevor Cahill. 
Now i do expect some of the kids to extend this year and that they will be better, but well see.

We had some relievers pitch almost as many innings as some of our starters. 

Well if we have 30 million left to suggest using any of that for a better 4/5 pitcher than what we have would be unwise. I get why you might not like them, but Bundy, heaney, Sandoval, and canning will need to fill that void imo. Yes we need 170 innings, but I'd prefer them from someone who would also make the playoff roster. 

5 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Well if we have 30 million left is suggest using any of that for a better 4/5 pitcher than what we have would be unwise. I get why you might not like them, but Bundy, heaney, Sandoval, and canning will need to fill that void imo. Yes we need 170 innings, but I'd prefer them from someone who would also make the playoff roster. 

Well have to agree to disagree on that, we have GOT to get guys that eat innings in addition to any other metrics, must.   
It has nothing to do with liking them, i like our guys, i just dont see many of them as 175-200 inning guys, at least not at this point.
Bundy threw 161 last year,  Kuechel only 112 after signing late in June but didnt miss  a start i dont think, Teheran threw 174.  Teheran isnt flashy or anything but he is a proptype back end starter, he eats a lot of innings and keep you in games.    WE could do worse. 

Assuming 30M to spend, lets say Kuechel gets 15, its unlikely that Teheran would get even 10.  Still money left over for a C or other which we still need, Castro projected a 2/10 so... yeah .

18 minutes ago, floplag said:

Well have to agree to disagree on that, we have GOT to get guys that eat innings in addition to any other metrics, must.   
It has nothing to do with liking them, i like our guys, i just dont see many of them as 175-200 inning guys, at least not at this point.
Bundy threw 161 last year,  Kuechel only 112 after signing late in June but didnt miss  a start i dont think, Teheran threw 174.  Teheran isnt flashy or anything but he is a proptype back end starter, he eats a lot of innings and keep you in games.    WE could do worse. 

Assuming 30M to spend, lets say Kuechel gets 15, its unlikely that Teheran would get even 10.  Still money left over for a C or other which we still need, Castro projected a 2/10 so... yeah .

That's fair and I cannot disagree with your logic. I guess I'm hoping just one of those guys steps up. 

The game is changing, the definition of an innings eater likely will also.... 

There were only 40 guys in all of baseball that pitched as many as 175 innings last year.  That number will likely continue to drop as more and more teams buy into load management and avoid guys going through the order x number of times.  Not saying I like it but it's where the game is trending.  My guess is that "innings eaters" will eventually be viewed as guys who can be counted to make 30+ starts and give a team 160+ innings.  The Angels are likely more concerned with guys reaching that 30 start marker than any set number of innngs. (Imo)

Whatever people want to define it as the Angels simply need to add guys that can consistently take the mound, it's what they have needed for 3+ years.