• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gerrit Cole chose Yankees because he wanted to win a World Series

CanadianHalo

Just now, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

The Yankees won 31 more games than the Angels last year.  I’m sure the massive contract was the deciding factor but it also happened to be with a team that averaged 98 wins the previous three seasons while making the playoffs every year.  

Can he predict the future, though? So many things can change and happen within those 9 years.

Well it makes sense since Yankees are 103 win team with league's best bull pen and best offense. Only problem they had was they only had mediocre starters that post high 3s to 4 ERAs, and Cole joining there will immediately solve the problem, which makes the Yankees closest team to WS title next year.

Angels on the other hand, has trash starting pitching and mediocre offense. It's 70 win team with Mike Trout anyways. So basically all Angels could say was "We have Trout and warm weather here" while Yankees could say "We are in immediate contention if you join us."

I find it common sense that Cole chose Junkies over Angels at the point of his signing. I just hope Angels can find a way to build strong team around Trout and kick those Junkies ass in the Post Season. Trout,Rendon,Ohtani rocking Cole in ALCS game 7 will give me multiple O's for sure

5 minutes ago, Angels_Fan said:

Can he predict the future, though? So many things can change and happen within those 9 years.

No one can predict the future but no objective baseball fan would say he made a poor choice if he wants to play for a competitive team. The Yankees are as good a bet as any franchise to do what they can to remain competitive under current ownership. 

The Yankees rotation is stacked as hell also.  It’s not just the offense.  They’re very good.  

anyway, I suspect the 324 million also played a big part.  I doubt the Angels would have gone there.  We’ve heard for months how much Arte loved Rendon.  I think at the end of the this is what Arte wanted.  Not that they didn’t go hard after Cole.  They certainly did.  

I don't get the hostility. Yes the Yankees today are much better than the Angels today. But that doesn't mean it'll continue to be that way. Angels could have a bright future if Eppler keeps making wise decisions and puts this team in a position to be better. Yankees won a lot more games last year than the Angels that's not an opinion, it's fact. Just be better tomorrow than you were yesterday Angels. Don't worry about every other team just worry about the Angels getting better we should be good to go. 

12 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

No one can predict the future but no objective baseball fan would say he made a poor choice if he wants to play for a competitive team. The Yankees are as good a bet as any franchise to do what they can to remain competitive under current ownership. 

The Yankees haven’t won a WS in over a decade (which is what he wants, apparently).

Anything can happen once a team gets to the postseason. The sample size in the postseason is too small for there to be any distinct advantage between postseason teams. Most of the time it just boils down to which team is hotter at the right time.

If the Angels can add a few good starters in addition to Rendon, they’ll have a great chance to make the postseason this year. And nobody can predict what will happen until 2028. So, yes, I’d say it was short-sighted. 

7 minutes ago, Angels_Fan said:

The Yankees haven’t won a WS in over a decade (which is what he wants, apparently).

Anything can happen once a team gets to the postseason. The sample size in the postseason is too small for there to be any distinct advantage between postseason teams. Most of the time it just boils down to which team is hotter at the right time.

If the Angels can add a few good starters in addition to Rendon, they’ll have a great chance to make the postseason this year. And nobody can predict what will happen until 2028. So, yes, I’d say it was short-sighted. 

The Yankees have the better team now.  As you say, anything can happen in 9 years.  But given the current state of the organizations, aren't the Yankees more likely to go to a world series than the Angels over the term of the contract?

3 minutes ago, Angels_Fan said:

If the Angels can add a few good starters in addition to Rendon, they’ll have a great chance to make the postseason this year. And nobody can predict what will happen until 2029. So, yes, I’d say it was short-sighted. 

idk why you are so into those predicting 9 years thing, but Cole won't be the same after like 4-5 years. Im 100% sure even Yankees dont expect Cole to be CY contender for full 9 years. They want his first 4-5 years and want to win 1-2 chips in those years. After that, Cole can be all washed up and Yanks will eat up his contract. That's what big market Yankees can do.

Angels can sign good starters and may have chance at PS but if you are talking about current roster's potential for next 3 years, Angels has no chance against Yankees regarding WS title. Also, at his point of signing, he didnt even know if Rendon will choose to sign with the Angels and it's not like he was going to have 324M/9yrs and 300M/8yrs contract offers hang out there and wait to see if Angels land Rendon or not

2 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

The Yankees have the better team now.  As you say, anything can happen in 9 years.  But given the current state of the organizations, aren't the Yankees more likely to go to a world series than the Angels over the term of the contract?

For this year, the Yankees likely have a better chance to make the postseason (and win a WS, as a result) than the Angels. But that doesn’t mean the Angels wouldn’t have a great chance to make the postseason, especially with a few good additions to the rotation. 

Beyond 2020, nobody knows.

Look at the Red Sox as an example. WS winners one year and look built for long-term success, and then they’re slightly more than a .500 team the next year and they fired their GM.