• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Tampa Bay a trade partner?

Dtwncbad

5 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Acoustic or electric?

acoustic. decided i'd start with something affordable and wasn't worried about brand name or how fancy it was. not really interested in an electric guitar anyway. bought it mostly so i could play along with our praise team at our weekly chapel programs and for some personal enjoyment. what do you have?

1 hour ago, Tank said:

acoustic. decided i'd start with something affordable and wasn't worried about brand name or how fancy it was. not really interested in an electric guitar anyway. bought it mostly so i could play along with our praise team at our weekly chapel programs and for some personal enjoyment. what do you have?

First of all I am pretty lousy at playing but it is extremely relaxing and therapeutic so I don’t care what it sounds like to others.

Anyway my first guitar my dad gave me is an old Escudero acoustic.  It’s one of the millions of inexpensive Japanese knockoffs that came to the US in the 70s.

I figured why not grab an electric also so I bought the cheapest new electric guitar on the market at the time, a fender squire Bullet.  It was pretty much junk from day one.

This was all about 30 years ago.  Both guitars sat mostly unused.

Then we started camping about 4 years ago with some people who would end the night playing guitars by the campfire so I busted out my old acoustic and faked my way through some simple cords.

Somehow I got way more interested in the actual instrument and decided quickly to try to get into it.  One thing holding me back was my lack of enthusiasm for the actual specific guitars I had.

So I went through a friend who gets a big discount and bought a Taylor 314ce.  It’s way better than I will personally ever need but the enthusiasm is there to use it, so that was a success.

Then I realized the electric was never going to get played so I decided to buy some kind of used vintage electric.  I landed on a 1972 Greco Les Paul style.

The Greco’s in the 70s were also Japanese guitars, and it felt like a cool nostalgic purchase considering my first guitar from my dad was a 70s Japanese guitar.

So I have 4 guitars.  Play time is 75% on the Taylor, 20% on the Greco, 5% on the Escudero and the old fender squire Bullet is of not interest to me to touch.

I hang out with a few guys that are really good and it makes it easy to have my lousy play disappear into their impressive aptitude.  It’s fun.  But I suck.  But so what?

Going forward there is guilt in continuing to purchase guitars if I don’t get any better.  However, the truth is the way to get better is to play and if your enthusiasm also comes from the excitement of the actual instrument then maybe it’s not a bad idea to keep buying.

My wife thinks it is ridiculous that I have 4 guitars and would even consider buying another one but she how many pairs of shoes does she need, right?

Not yet, but I want an old Silvertone 1446 or an old Gretsch and I also want a 1960s Gibson acoustic.

The problem is then I will want something else.  I keep telling my son to learn guitar because some day he is going to own quite a few.  That makes him uncomfortable.  I tell him discomfort and access to instruments equals song writing.