• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trading Adell

Dtwncbad

Let me first say I don’t WANT to trade Adell.

Now that that is out of the way. . . 

The project is to build a World Series team.  Let’s say the Angels sign Cole.

The Angels would still need more pitching and many believe the offense is decent but not great.

Would anyone be upset if the Angels also signed Rendon but traded Adell to land the additional pitching?

Quick explanation:

1). outside of the Cole signing, you can argue that the Angels would be smarter to have other monster money attached to an offensive player (Rendon) than attached to another pitcher because pitching is more fragile.

2). Adell in a trade could bring a pitcher to the Angels likely better than someone like Wheeler.

I love everything about Adell and could not be more excited to see what he can do in a long Angel career.  But if I set that specific emotion aside and keep my eye on the overall goal of building a championship team, I find myself at least open to trading him, if it meant landing another top of the rotation starter (and using money in free agency to “replace” Adell’s bat in the lineup with someone like Rendon).

I know the dollars we are talking about in signing both Cole and Rendon is daunting and may not be realistic.  Only Arte would know for sure if he would do it.  Moreno has said he would push payroll up and historically he has said he would entertain more “for the right player.”

I am just saying in an overall plan, Rendon could very well be that right player.  Less risk in an offensive player and he is a position player (3B) that fits this roster really well.

Having Cole, another ace type landed from trading Adell, Ohtani, Heaney, Canning would be fantastic.

And instantly adding Rendon at third would boost this offense significantly.

All hypothetical of course and maybe not possible, but back to the original question:

Could you be OK trading Adell if it was part of a plan to end up with what I describe above?

I would be bummed to not have Adell, but Rendon is really easy to be excited about and, uh, I really want to win.

Edited by Dtwncbad

I think the only pitcher I would start the conversation for would be DeGrom. the pitcher would need to be elite and be controlled. Not many situations does a team with a player like that even consider trading them unless they are in the dumpster like the Mets. Adell would do a lot to rebuild a franchise like that.

9 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

we should look to off load some of our expensive veterans for cheaper prospects who can be ready in a year or so. 

I would love this, but... what do you possibly have in mind? Is anyone giving up cheaper prospects one-year-away-from-the-bigs for Pujols or Upton or Cozart?

12 minutes ago, SoPas Angel said:

I would love this, but... what do you possibly have in mind? Is anyone giving up cheaper prospects one-year-away-from-the-bigs for Pujols or Upton or Cozart?

Upton and Simmons might be worth something especially since we have a glut of middle infielders and outfielders in the waiting. But the Angels would probably be selling low on both of them after disappointing years last year. Might want to hold onto both at least to see if they can bounce back a little to recoup their value. Cozart is a sunk cost I don’t think anyone would take him unless the Angels ate the entire contract. 

1 hour ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

I think the only pitcher I would start the conversation for would be DeGrom. the pitcher would need to be elite and be controlled. Not many situations does a team with a player like that even consider trading them unless they are in the dumpster like the Mets. Adell would do a lot to rebuild a franchise like that.

the mets are certainly not in the dumpster.

I would trade Adell if it was a good trade. I not sure he is as good as the hype. I think people like him because he a good looking, well spoken and hard working athlete.  Compare his minor league numbers to Trouts or Woods. He is not going to be a Trout and maybe more likely to be a Woods. If we can get a known talented SP for an unknown talented OF, I say do it.  

I’m having a hard time finding a deal I’d do involving Adell, and I’m about as open to the idea of trading prospects, any of them, in any sort of creative deal. 

Can’t really find a match, can’t really think of a return, can’t think of much the Angels could add or lump in to justify it...just can’t see it happening.

The closest I could see would be something built around Lindor and some combo of Bieber/Clevinger/Kluber/CLE SP prospects and the Angels offering - combo of Upton/Simmons/Cozart back to save cash and give CLE a SS/OF, and then the Angels dropping some big money on Cole/Strasburg and others. Perhaps some framed similarly with the Cubs, but with Bryant/Contreras/Baez/Darvish/Hendricks/Schwarber. Enormously complicated, expensive, unlikely, and maybe still not a good deal.

Marsh on the other hand...

39 minutes ago, Rollinghard said:

I would trade Adell if it was a good trade. I not sure he is as good as the hype. I think people like him because he a good looking, well spoken and hard working athlete.  Compare his minor league numbers to Trouts or Woods. He is not going to be a Trout and maybe more likely to be a Woods. If we can get a known talented SP for an unknown talented OF, I say do it.  

Woods = Tiger?

1 hour ago, Rollinghard said:

Wat....