• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels pondering rotation configuration around Shohei Ohtani

AngelsWin.com

8 hours ago, Sean-Regan said:

I think this is what they likely will do. They’ll probably still call it 6 man, though. I don’t think anyone believes they’ll have 6 starters on the roster all the time. 

Except the sixth starter will not be the same one all the time. So it might be a 7 or 8 man rotation. And that's as long as no one gets injured; highly unlikely...

Edited by Ace-Of-Diamonds

1 hour ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

The absolutely don't need a six rotation, Ohtani pitches once a week they other 4 pitch every 5 days. Every once in awhile (2 or 3 times a month) they bring in a spot starter from AAA.

Bring in the spot starter for another losing year. I’m sorry but I’m tired of these spot guys coming in. I’d like a solid rotation. 

1 hour ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

The absolutely don't need a six rotation, Ohtani pitches once a week they other 4 pitch every 5 days. Every once in awhile (2 or 3 times a month) they bring in a spot starter from AAA.

One would have to wonder if this type of strategy is going to put more or less wins in the Win column. 

Great pitchers are itching to get back to the mound every fourth day if their bodies would let them. Last I checked this is America not Japan 🇯🇵. Could you imagine signing Gerrit Cole to pitch once a week 😂 

white teeth troll GIF

32 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Bring in the spot starter for another losing year. I’m sorry but I’m tired of these spot guys coming in. I’d like a solid rotation. 

I would like to see Ohtani pitch every 5 days as well, just don't think your being tired of it is going to bit of difference in how the rotation will work in 2020, possibly in 2021...

28 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Great pitchers are itching to get back to the mound every fourth day if their bodies would let them. Last I checked this is America not Japan 🇯🇵. Could you imagine signing Gerrit Cole to pitch once a week 😂

4 man rotations pitched every 4 days back in the 60s,  I guessing you meant 4 days of rest. I'm sure everyone with the exception of Ohtani will pitch on normal rest as if there were a 5 man rotation.

Edited by Ace-Of-Diamonds

3 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Even twice as good as last year still sucks...

Offensively, yes.  Defensively, he's a fine defender.  But good defensive catchers are a dime a dozen, and the Angels shouldn't have traded Rivas and Uceta for him.  But I do believe there's more in the tank from Stassi.  Hopefully he and Smith can combine to make something better than themselves. 

5 hours ago, angelsnationtalk said:

He can't downplay it this year. Every MLB writer and executive know the Angels are on the hot seat now that we have Trout locked up. It'd be stupid if Eppler is trying to downplay anything.

You can’t really expect a major league GM to come out and say publicly “yeah, our catching sucks so we’re looking everywhere for a better guy.” It’s going to severely weaken his ability to deal with other teams or free agents. It also is going to create problems in the clubhouse between him and the guys on his roster.

52 minutes ago, Tank said:

You can’t really expect a major league GM to come out and say publicly “yeah, our catching sucks so we’re looking everywhere for a better guy.” It’s going to severely weaken his ability to deal with other teams or free agents. It also is going to create problems in the clubhouse between him and the guys on his roster.

I think players would be hesitant to sign here too if he did that.

8 hours ago, Tank said:

Yep, exactly this.  People on here are so desperate for something to happen they lose their shit by reading generic media quotes.  People are bitching about the term “wide net”.  People are bitching he didn’t tell us the catching sucks.  It’s kinda dumb. 

I do like that there's no specific commitment to a 6 man rotation. Given that the 6th starter is needed twice a month, that sounds like a perfect spot to start inserting Sandoval, Barria and Suarez into the rotation. Felix Pena is moving to the bullpen, they could even have him start those days.

There's no reason to diminish the workload of Gerrit Cole and Zack Wheeler with a 6th starter. Keep them on the normal routine, and just have Ohtani go on Sundays. That way he can DH Tuesday through Friday and we can keep his bat in the lineup 2/3 of the time.

12 hours ago, Tank said:

There’s no secrets in baseball ⚾️ we’re in the age of unlimited information on every team.

8 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

There’s no secrets in baseball ⚾️ we’re in the age of unlimited information on every team.

agreed, and not arguing that.

it's how you handle things publicly with others. it's the difference between being diplomatic or being, well, like a trump tweet (crooked hilary, little rocket man, and about ten dozen other examples). 

19 hours ago, failos said:

Why do you put so much stock into press comments? He’s not going to say what’s actually on his mind to a reporter.

I don't get it...

We are going to see posts started in "outrage" over what Billy "should" say but 1) he's getting asked questions by reporters so it's not like these are press releases or something and 2)  he's going to give very generic answers that "may" leave some opportunity to read between the lines a bit but that's it.

If you are getting upset by what Billy is saying then I'd suggest not reading his comments anymore because you're getting upset over nothing.

It's all about his actions, what he ultimately ends up doing, and who is on the field come opening day.  Otherwise you are basically dogs barking at passing cars...

16 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Stassi sucks until proven otherwise.  If Eppler wants to die on Stassi hill then so be it.  I think he's nuts to do so and makes me question so many other things about how he thinks and what his plan is.  But it also depends on what else he does and frankly, what else Arte does.  

It is strictly an emphasis on defense Doc, Eppler has always stressed up-the-middle defense (C, SS, 2B, and CF) and that is what Max is good at. Also his offense in previous seasons wasn't that terrible compared to the League so.... I like him more in a split timeshare as a backup to a more primary catcher but beggars cannot be choosers in a season where the rotation is the highest priority.

I think the A.L. West is going to achieve parity pretty damn fast, particularly by next year.

19 minutes ago, ettin said:

It is strictly an emphasis on defense Doc, Eppler has always stressed up-the-middle defense (C, SS, 2B, and CF) and that is what Max is good at. Also his offense in previous seasons wasn't that terrible compared to the League so.... I like him more in a split timeshare as a backup to a more primary catcher but beggars cannot be choosers in a season where the rotation is the highest priority.

I think the A.L. West is going to achieve parity pretty damn fast, particularly by next year.

I get it.  But there's a point where the bat is so bad that the defense can't entirely make up the difference.  They obviously think his offense isn't as bad as what he's shown of late and I am hopeful that they can rebuild his swing and get him to be at least adequate.  I just don't love the odds of that happening and don't want to be stuck with a guy hitting .199 for three years.  

36 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

I don't get it...

We are going to see posts started in "outrage" over what Billy "should" say but 1) he's getting asked questions by reporters so it's not like these are press releases or something and 2)  he's going to give very generic answers that "may" leave some opportunity to read between the lines a bit but that's it.

If you are getting upset by what Billy is saying then I'd suggest not reading his comments anymore because you're getting upset over nothing.

It's all about his actions, what he ultimately ends up doing, and who is on the field come opening day.  Otherwise you are basically dogs barking at passing cars...

So now you and Nate are saying the Angels aren't signing anyone... Great.

2 minutes ago, RBM said:

I don't see this as Eppler planning to stick with Stassi and Smith at catcher. He was asked how comfortable he is with their current catchers. He's not going to say, I'm not comfortable and we are looking to upgrade at catcher.

Clearly he is going to reply with a benign answer.

I don't think his answers to questions from reporters at the winter meetings should necessarily become fodder for narratives. 

Or even the GM meetings.