• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Manager’s effect on free agency

I think that if a player isn't looking for just the $$$, that he would take a serious look at the coach's and teammates that he would be playing for, or with, for the length of his contract. I am sure that a potential pitcher would take a hard look at the teams pitching coach to see if they were on the same page. Same with a hitter. I remember that there were several players on the Angels  that didn't particularly like the way Rod Carew instructed player's on how to hit.

1 hour ago, Lou said:

manager isn't very important

I disagree. 

I think if both teams are close on the money and the player would like to live in both cities and both teams have a good chance at winning, the tiebreaker would definitely go to playing for a manager that everyone loves playing for and has tremendous respect for. Then you factor in the guy has been successful leading two different teams to the World Series and to the postseason several times. 

Maybe in the days of analytics it's the entire organization that could make a difference. Are all the decisions made on a computer then relayed to the manager? Does he have enough autonomy over lineup composition and pitcher usage? Are you going to be allowed to steal or encouraged to bunt against the shift? Maybe they feel some managers would have more freedom than others. Of course clubhouse management would factor in as well and that might be based on a manger's reputation

I think theres something to it. That said, I would assume it wouldnt just be the manager, but the overall. Manager, bench guy, front office. Especially today, where the front office is so involved with day to day, inning to inning stuff.

There is truth that money is the biggest factor. (And dont discount taxes...). That said, most guys arent going to the highest bidder if the team has a bad rep.  A lpt of us could leave our own jobs for more money. But if you knew people there didnt want to work there, would you go?

40 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I disagree. 

I think if both teams are close on the money and the player would like to live in both cities and both teams have a good chance at winning, the tiebreaker would definitely go to playing for a manager that everyone loves playing for and has tremendous respect for. Then you factor in the guy has been successful leading two different teams to the World Series and to the postseason several times. 

There seems to be quite a list of more important factors ahead of who is managing the team. You forgot to add "where my wife tells me to sign" to the list. 

35 minutes ago, Lou said:

There seems to be quite a list of more important factors ahead of who is managing the team. You forgot to add "where my wife tells me to sign" to the list. 

I covered the 3 largest factors if all things are being equal, the manager and who your boss is could definitely be the deciding factor. 

1. Money. 2. Location (which includes the wife's choice). 3. Team's success and future outlook. 

4 minutes ago, Tank said:

I'm bringing bean & cheese burritos and grilled street corn this year!

Dont do your tasteless polish jokes to break the ice again this year. Remember when Grienke was ready to resign here, and you did your jokes in front of his agent, aleks kowalski?

Just stick with the burritos and dr thunder, tank.

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I covered the 3 largest factors if all things are being equal, the manager and who your boss is could definitely be the deciding factor. 

1. Money. 2. Location (which includes the wife's choice). 3. Team's success and future outlook. 

Too late. Fletch said there are 8.

4 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Dont do your tasteless polish jokes to break the ice again this year. Remember when Grienke was ready to resign here, and you did your jokes in front of his agent, aleks kowalski?

Just stick with the burritos and dr thunder, tank.

you might remember that the "official polish joke book" was two-sided, and the flip side was "the official Italian joke book."

I hope Cole's agent isn't a wop.

Unknown-5.jpeg