• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The bow tie says that the Angels are looking at Joe Maddon

UndertheHalo

5 hours ago, Dochalo said:

If they're willing to fire Ausmus after one year then I think it's safe to say they didn't like him.  Especially considering that Ausmus still has two years left on his contract.  

True. But thats assuming the rumor is even true.

The season isnt over yet... so i doubt any front office types would honestly let this kind of info out.

I know of several trades that never happened, and no one even knew were discussed (for example) in the media. Something like this would be pretty huge news... which i dont think wed hear until pretty far into the winter.

But who knows. 

Remember when the Cubs looked like a dynasty in the making? They had that young, talented team, won the WS in 2016, but haven't been back since - although have made the playoffs every year until now. But still, after winning 103 games and the WS in 2016, the last few years have been varying shades of disappointment. I guess that's why Maddon is being shown the door.

Now that everyone is all riled up...  the Article's headline is..  "Angels are among the teams that COULD be interested in Maddon".  Maybe more importantly, the basis for this is MLB sources, not Angels sources... 

This is the actual quote

According to major-league sources, the Angels would consider moving on from Brad Ausmus, 50, and bringing back Maddon, 65. Maddon spent 31 years in the Angels’ organization, the first 19 as a minor-league catcher, scout, manager and hitting instructor, the final 12 as a major-league coach and two-time interim manager.

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Now that everyone is all riled up...  the Article's headline is..  "Angels are among the teams that COULD be interested in Maddon".  Maybe more importantly, the basis for this is MLB sources, not Angels sources... 

This is the actual quote

According to major-league sources, the Angels would consider moving on from Brad Ausmus, 50, and bringing back Maddon, 65. Maddon spent 31 years in the Angels’ organization, the first 19 as a minor-league catcher, scout, manager and hitting instructor, the final 12 as a major-league coach and two-time interim manager.

Exactly...likely "MLB sources" = "bored sports writers"

But it got a solid three pages here though

I think what you see is what you get with Ausmus. He did nothing with a vastly superior roster in Detroit, so I don't see anything changing between now and a year from now. At that point we will all be calling for his head.

Maddon is very quirky, but maybe that's what we need with such a bland roster. He did some of his best work with inferior talent in Tampa Bay, so I would love to see a return to that. Things are just so *ucking boring around this team lately. Maddon would provide a much needed shot in the arm. 

25 minutes ago, NJHalo said:

I think what you see is what you get with Ausmus. He did nothing with a vastly superior roster in Detroit, so I don't see anything changing between now and a year from now. At that point we will all be calling for his head.

Maddon is very quirky, but maybe that's what we need with such a bland roster. He did some of his best work with inferior talent in Tampa Bay, so I would love to see a return to that. Things are just so *ucking boring around this team lately. Maddon would provide a much needed shot in the arm. 

It was time for Scioscia to move on but Ausmus was not the answer. They should’ve done better and they still can. You can obviously see who the alpha dog is in the picture. They need a real authoritarian leader. Someone who won’t accept mediocrity and bench people for lack of performance. 

5EA780BB-35BF-43FA-97B0-08863380EEE2.jpeg

18 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

Cut Ausmus loose and go after Maddon the second the Cubs fire him (and you know he'll take the fall for their dreadful last couple of weeks).

Maddon >>>>> Ausmus. Clear as day.

would this year have been any different results if the angels had had a different manager? i don't think so (not that i'm arguing with you but others are sure to bring it up in this thread).

27 minutes ago, Tank said:

would this year have been any different results if the angels had had a different manager? i don't think so (not that i'm arguing with you but others are sure to bring it up in this thread).

This is the crux of it imo.  I think the Angels need to stick with Ausmus for now just because I think that like many teams now, the manager is just a member of the front office executing marching orders that have mostly been predetermined.  Ausmus is Epplers guy.  They’re connected at the hip.  Are the Angels going to let Eppler implement his plan or not ? They’re 1 year into this being entirely Epplers show.  Yes, the pressure is on but handicapping the guy doesn’t make sense.  Should the Angels do that, I think it’s evidence of more serious problems then bad seasons at the major league level. 

The organization needs to be committed to the path they’re on.  If they’re not, just blow up the whole thing. 

Also, I don’t get and have never gotten the whole Joe Maddon thing.  You guys would have died if it was the Angels in that World Series he almost managed the cubs out of.  Just because he does weird stuff and talks about zen and shit.  That doesn’t make him some baseball manager savant. 

1 minute ago, UndertheHalo said:

Also, I don’t get and have never gotten the whole Joe Maddon thing.  You guys would have died if it was the Angels in that World Series he almost managed the cubs out of.  Just because he does weird stuff and talks about zen and shit.  That doesn’t make him some baseball manager savant. 

"but but but he sat on the bench using super advanced stats while sosh just sat in the dugout looking stoopid with lasagna stains on his uniform and lucked his way into a WS title!!!"

I really don't think Joe brings anything to the table at this point. What he was good at 20 years ago was to tap into stats and work on developing relationships with players that matched the changes in baseball.

But now every new manager is stat savvy and the front office demands it. The gap between Joe and the rest of the league vanished and as evident with the Cubs he seems to have strayed from the script too far and it worked against him. His "quirky" lineups were not as stat driven as they were once before. 

Eppler has pulled the Angels out of the hybrid manager state that was Scioscia. A guy that knew statistically what the lineup should be but stayed pretty rooted in old school reliance on veteran leadership. I don't see Eppler approving of taking on Maddon and taking that backwards step. 

Sure, Eppler will eventually move on from Ausmus if his performance doesn't improve but it won't be to go back to cronyism. 

13 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Remember when the Cubs looked like a dynasty in the making? They had that young, talented team, won the WS in 2016, but haven't been back since - although have made the playoffs every year until now. But still, after winning 103 games and the WS in 2016, the last few years have been varying shades of disappointment. I guess that's why Maddon is being shown the door.

Mentioned this in another thread. Its not to knock the cubs. Theyre still a very good team. A tweak here and there and maybe their a powerhouse again.

But its crazy....2 years ago they looked like a powerhouse that would dominate for at least a few years. Figured at least the recent dodger run would be them... easily. 

Now theyre just "good".

Baseball success is tougher than it looks...

What a dick.

The Chicago Cubs were officially eliminated from postseason contention on Wednesday, and manager Joe Maddon isn't planning to put out his top lineup for each game of the club's weekend series against the St. Louis Cardinals.

Maddon expects this won't sit well with the division-rival Milwaukee Brewers, who remain in the running to take the National League Central crown from the Cardinals. However, the skipper isn't concerned, according to Paul Sullivan of The Chicago Tribune.

"Of course they're going to b----, and I get it, but quite frankly, there are certain things I really don't give a shit about, and that would be one of them," Maddon said, according to Sullivan.

15 minutes ago, Lou said:

What a dick.

The Chicago Cubs were officially eliminated from postseason contention on Wednesday, and manager Joe Maddon isn't planning to put out his top lineup for each game of the club's weekend series against the St. Louis Cardinals.

Maddon expects this won't sit well with the division-rival Milwaukee Brewers, who remain in the running to take the National League Central crown from the Cardinals. However, the skipper isn't concerned, according to Paul Sullivan of The Chicago Tribune.

"Of course they're going to b----, and I get it, but quite frankly, there are certain things I really don't give a shit about, and that would be one of them," Maddon said, according to Sullivan.

Lol....  And people thought MS had an ego.