• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

LAT: Details of Tyler Skaggs’ death could trigger legal battle with millions at stake

It's really hard to speculate until we know who or IF there is an Angel employee involved.  One thing is the truth always comes out.  You would think his wife would know if he was taking pain pills even if it was just for a period of time after surgery.  But fentanyl is not something typically prescribed so something nefarious went down. Still Tyler is a smart guy and would know the risks. 

This can get terribly ugly and hostile if it hits the courts.

If the Angels attorneys play hardball, the Skaggs family will be open to all kinds of personal exposure. Motive will be explored, financial arrangements, lifestyle habits and so on. 

The family lead attorney is already known as an aggressive operator. He will pry into all sorts of sensitive areas of team and organizational  personnel. Including team mates and their off field behavior. 

Terrible PR for the team and family alike. 

I expect a settlement. The organization just wants to end this in benign a way as possible and move on without having to rip into the family. But if the family are outrageously greedy then they may bite off more than they can chew and ruin any good will the public has felt.

2 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

I hope the family doesn't make this about money. Those that are responsible should definitely be held responsive, but hopefully doesn't try to bury some bridges.

Just an FYI - it’s burning bridges.

Aitken said investigators also would consider whether Skaggs obtained the drugs from a legitimate prescriber, then continue up the supply chain to the pharmacist and manufacturer.

I fail to see the point in this (aside from the legitimacy of the prescriber). Both of the drugs in question have legitimate medical uses, and both are dispensed with warnings not to use them in excess or in combination with a similar drug or alcohol. Any pharmacist would presumably have only filled a legitimate prescription, and the manufacturer(s) include warnings with the medications. Potential liability might exist if the ordering physician is a "pill mill" doctor, perhaps even dispensing the medications himself/herself, like the pain clinics that  dispense opioid pain relievers without a qualifying medical diagnosis.

5 hours ago, Baghdad Strad said:

I’ll go out on a limb and say he and the team were out drinking and then when he got back to the room that is where the drugs came in, but then again I could be totally naive. 

I didn't think of that. But I would've thought if he was out with friends the night before, that would've been reported.

7 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I didn't think of that. But I would've thought if he was out with friends the night before, that would've been reported.

I don’t know all the terminology but I thought I read that the drug hadn’t gotten into the blood stream because he died before that happened. 

6 hours ago, calscuf said:

All that said, the Angels would still be smart to offer the widow like $10-20 million and just be done with the situation.

It’s not smart to offer money unless they know of a situation that could make them partly culpable.  The combination of large amounts of alcohol and illicit narcotics is nothing more than a sign of a person that had a problem, and probably did so for some time.  If a doctor prescribed (which seems highly unlikely that a doctor said “i prescribe oxy and fentanyl with a 6 pack chaser”) that would be something else.   Even if it was a clubhouse attendant, Skaggs would have paid the clubby making him just as culpable.  

So let's analyze how the skaggs family believes that someone in the Angels organization supplies skaggs.  How would they know?

1. Skaggs texted the family Sunday night to tell them an employee was out making a score. 
  2. The skaggs family has known for a while that someone was supplying him. And that skaggs was doing drugs.
  3. Someone has told them since the overdose.  That would be interesting since the organization (I've heard Trout  and Ausmus) seem to be going the Seargent Shultz route (I know NOTHING)

Anyone else have theories as to how the skaggs family knows?

19 hours ago, mulwin444 said:

I'm guessing settlement 

This ^^^^^^^^

The Angels risk management and MLB are going to try to put this to bed ASAP. They certainly don’t want their players, coaches and management exposed to hundreds of hours of interrogations, depositions and interrogatories. It’s too risky because someone always talks. Like it or not, right or wrong, the Angels are going to be writing a check. MLB certainly doesn’t want the fans to speculate that this could be happening in every clubhouse. 

26 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

So let's analyze how the skaggs family believes that someone in the Angels organization supplies skaggs.  How would they know?

1. Skaggs texted the family Sunday night to tell them an employee was out making a score. 
  2. The skaggs family has known for a while that someone was supplying him. And that skaggs was doing drugs.
  3. Someone has told them since the overdose.  That would be interesting since the organization (I've heard Trout  and Ausmus) seem to be going the Seargent Shultz route (I know NOTHING)

My guess is it came out during the investigation.  

27 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

The most likely reason is the PD showed up and after finding the body they looked around the room, found suspicious stuff and made the obvious connections.  My guess is the next step would have been to ask his family if he had any history of drug usage..    Let's pretend Skaggs had been hiding his usage, it's pretty unlikely he thought to hide his stash/whatever etc etc while actually lit up and in the privacy of his own room..   

Anyway -- my guess is the family was made aware and it was at that time they chose to keep the cause of death quiet -- at least long enough for them to lawyer up.