• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ultimate Baseball Trivia

Did Mark Whiten do it?

I was thinking he did that (I couldn't think of his name), but I don't think he did it. Although, he had another record setting game.

On September 7, 1993, he gained notability with his performance against the Cincinnati Reds in the second game of a doubleheader. Whiten hit four home runs and drove in 12 runs,[1] tying the all-time single-game records in both categories in the process. He also tied the NL mark for runs batted in in a doubleheader (13). Whiten is one of only 16 players in major league baseball history who have hit four home runs in one game, and he and Jim Bottomley are the only two players with 12 RBIs in one game.

Correct on Ventura (1995), Nomah (1999), and Cloninger (1966)..that's 5, only 8 to go, and all 3 NL players have been identified.  

Cloninger doing it as a pitcher is crazy.   The crazier thing is that he did it NOT in the Atlanta launching pad, but at Candlestick, a neutral or maybe pitchers' park.   I had just become a Halos fan about 2 months earlier (12 run inning in Fenway doing it), and hearing about Cloninger hitting 2 GS's in one game shocked me.

Here goes for the other 5 AL players:   Tony Lazzeri was the first in May 1936, followed by Jim Tabor for Baahston in July 1939, then Rudy York for Baahston in July 1946, then Jim Gentile for the O's in May 1961, and Frank Robinson in June 1970.

I should have remembered Rudy York and "Robbie" - cool question AO.

Wilcy Moore, in his first stint with the team, was an indispensable part of the 1927 Yankees. A 29-year old rookie, he won 19 games and had 13 saves with an AL best 2.28 ERA. He made 38 relief appearances along with his 12 starts.

In his second go-round with NY, he won the clinching game in the 1932 World Series. 

I must admit I never heard of him until today.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/168854-baseballs-forgotten-pioneer

Edited by fan_since79