• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ultimate Baseball Trivia

Bob Hendley, Cubs. He gave up one hit to the Dodgers in Koufax's perfect game on Sept 9, 1965. The hit did not lead to the Dodgers' lone run. That scored on a walk, sac bunt, stolen base, and an error. Hendley's no-hitter was broken up in the 7th inning.

I had this one, but didn't realize the thread was resurrected.

The game only lasted about 1:45. Obviously the catchers weren't going to the mound constantly in those days.

I had this one, but didn't realize the thread was resurrected.

The game only lasted about 1:45. Obviously the catchers weren't going to the mound constantly in those days.

Great story on the perfect game:

http://www.angelfire.com/fl/yrag/koufaxboxscore.html

Ron Santo shared an amusing story about the game. Before it started, the Cubs held a meeting to go over strategy against Koufax.

"Actually, it was kind of silly," Santo said. "What are you going to learn about Koufax in a meeting? Al Spangler (once a teammate of Koufax's) got up in front of the locker room and said `Not to worry fellas, I've got all of Koufax's pitches. I know when Sandy is going to throw that curve or fastball from the stretch position.'

"I suppose we left the meeting with a little more confidence against Koufax than in the past because we had Al Spangler on our side. Once Koufax got into the stretch, he was dead meat."

It may have been a good theory, but because there was never a baserunner, Koufax never pitched from the stretch.

They indeed are, in 1977.

Eckersley no hit the Halos just after Memorial Day in Cleveland.

Blyleven no hit the Halos here in September as a Rangers pitcher.

Eckersley of course won a WS ring with the A's in 1989.
Blyleven won 2 WS rings, with the Pirates in 1979 and the Twins in 1987.

1977 was of course the first year that full FA was in affect. 

FA was different back then.   Every team drafted a pool of FAs, and they were eligible to only sign the FAs they drafted.   The Halos of course signed Baylor, Rudi, and Grich.   But unfortunately two of them missed half the season with injuries and the third (Baylor) struggled and heard boos at home.

The Halos finished with a 74-88 record after being picked to win the then 7 team AL West. 

• 2 months later...