• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Patrick Sandoval

I had not seen Sandoval pitch.  I was impressed with his fastball, but it appeared when he took about 3-4 mph off of it, he had better command of it.

He has a nice 12-6 breaking ball that nearly breaks straight down.  I won't call it Kershaw-esque, but it has nearly the same trajectory as Kershaw's breaking ball does.

His change up was what I was really impressed with.  Great arm deception, and a solid 8-10 mph difference in speed.  

He was a really nice bright spot (along with Trout) in an otherwise crummy game.

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

I wish I could have seen it but it reads like he did well.   That’s awesome.  

He looked great.  

The first run he gave up was after he walked the first batter and Smith had a passed ball that was ruled a wild pitch.  

The second run he gave up was on a wild pitch by Garcia who allowed the inherited runner to score.  

His fastball and change combo were lethal.  He came out throwing up to 96 and sat at 94 most of the game until his last inning.  He didn't spot the fastball super well but the change came from the same arm slot and the Reds clearly had a tough time picking up the ball.  Curve showed promise but didn't have the slot on that most of the time.  Slider was average but kept hitters honest.  

we talked about it in the GD but if he comes out throwing 96 again, we talking about a much different ceiling for him.  I'll take 96 over 5 innings from him with dominant stuff for those 5 as opposed to him going 7 at 92/93.  

He's gonna have bad games because he's got a decent amount to work on command wise.  

Gubi gave the comp of Hector Santiago which I think is pretty fair.  Especially if he's got more upstairs than Hector.  Santiago actually had really good stuff but couldn't keep his wits about him.  

Sandoval has a chance to settle in as a 3/4 if his command remains consistent.  If this velo spike is legit, he could be a #2.  If he struggles with command then he'll be a back end guy.  My guess is that he has a couple seasons at his peak as a #3, and some season on either side of that where he's a #4/5.  

But a great debut and hope for the future.  

3 hours ago, Dochalo said:

we talked about it in the GD but if he comes out throwing 96 again, we talking about a much different ceiling for him.  I'll take 96 over 5 innings from him with dominant stuff for those 5 as opposed to him going 7 at 92/93.  

When he was throwing 96 he had no command of his offspeed stuff. I think he was just overamped (understandably) for his first inning. 

He pitched much better at 93-94.

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

When he was throwing 96 he had no command of his offspeed stuff. I think he was just overamped (understandably) for his first inning. 

He pitched much better at 93-94.

Yeah, if he can settle in at 93-94 and command his other pitches he looks like he could be successful.  We'll see on his next start how he adjusts...

1 hour ago, jordan said:

With Sandoval breaching the Bigs, who is the next pitching prospect for the Angels in the minors?  Seems like the cliff just got really steep. 

One of Oliver Ortega, Luis Madero, Jeremy Beasley, or Andrew Wantz would be the likeliest, followed by Bradish and Criswell, then one of Soriano or Yan, would be my guess. 

Madero might even pop up this September since he’s on the 40, but he’ll need to show some improvement. That first group is probably depth for 2020, Bradish and Criswell are guys who could move quick and be in play late 2020 if they’re producing, and Soriano and Yan are likelier 2021+ at earliest, but you never know. 

2 hours ago, jordan said:

With Sandoval breaching the Bigs, who is the next pitching prospect for the Angels in the minors?  Seems like the cliff just got really steep. 

Yeah. I don’t think there’s another guy of this caliber coming anytime soon. 

But since the start of last year they’ve had 4 guys debut who all look like at least MLB back end starters (Canning, Barría, Suarez, Sandoval). All are 21-23 years old. 

The rest of this season may be all about those 4 showing who is going to improve and who isn’t.