• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Heyman: Angels have checked in on every available starting pitcher

mmc

I trust Eppler that he's not like Dipoto to rid the farm system. I'm sure he's inquiring so he can put a creative package together that won't hurt our future at all. He's very picky about his farm system and LOVES keeping his prospects. If i had one area to choose where I trust him the most, it would be with our drafting and farm system.

4 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I trust Eppler that he's not like Dipoto to rid the farm system. I'm sure he's inquiring so he can put a creative package together that won't hurt our future at all. He's very picky about his farm system and LOVES keeping his prospects. If i had one area to choose where I trust him the most, it would be with our drafting and farm system.

I don’t think there is a realistic way to put any package together for a pitcher worth having without affecting the future somewhat, be it prospects or financially or both....

It's like this.

Epp can't be like Dumbpoto, using the farm as his own bank with constant withdrawals.

Epp can't be like Stoneman either, keeping every single prospect.   He already showed to not take that inclination, trading Newcomb for Simba. 

Epp needs to find the right spot somewhere towards the middle.    That means no trading Adell, and hopefully no trading Marsh either.

1 minute ago, DMVol said:

I don’t think there is a realistic way to put any package together for a pitcher worth having without affecting the future somewhat, be it prospects or financially or both....

Thats a good point. I'm just referencing to where Dipoto depleted our farm system as a whole. We have an overflow of infield talent that wouldn't hurt us all that much if we made some moves. The one move that may or may not hurt down the line would be moving Marsh or Thaiss given the status of Pujols or Upton. But that's also not to say Walsh/Rojas/Ward can take 1B and eventually Knowles, Adams, Martinez and Deveaux would fill the void when Upton craps out. 

If Eppler uses Marsh as a centerpiece then that's a firm belief Upton will be stable in LF until Lund, Adams, Knowles, Deveaux, etc. are ready. The possible downside is Marsh turns into a solid MLB regular, is a lefty bat and is a very good defender and not forming a super outfield with Trout and Adell.

I'd rather see Ward/Thaiss go before Marsh goes.

1 minute ago, Dick Enberg said:

its funny how Heymans tweet turns into a full blown article on MLBTraderumors. and basically says nothing.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/07/angels-looking-for-starting-pitching.html

What do you expect? There's no known trade brewing. The article says what it says: that Eppler is actively looking into trading for a pitcher. That's something. 

If I'm just making a metric ton of inferences, I think I can narrow down to a target or two....

1. Eppler doesn't like soft-tossers.  He likes pure, unadulterated velocity.  And he likes pitchers that throw a ton of strikes. 

2. Eppler doesn't mind paying more money if it's a shorter term deal. 

3. Eppler likes the idea of buying low. 

4. Eppler absolutely does not like trading prospects unless it's a sure thing (even going back to acquiring international funds to pay Ohtani when he dealt Pearson).  And when he does trade prospects, he tends to trade ones that either weren't his pick to begin with (less and less Dipoto selections left in the minors), or don't have as high of an upside. 

5. Eppler loves bringing in former top prospects.  He does it all the time in the minor leagues.  The reason why likely rests on upside that has since been covered up or has gone dormant that he hopes to unlock.  Adrian Rondon and Kevin Maitan come to mind, but there have been quite a few others. 

So using the above criteria, Dylan Bundy, Aaron Sanchez, Daniel Norris, Danny Duffy, Mike Montgomery, Noah Syndergaard, Steven Matz, any of the Marlins starting pitchers which they're telling everyone "no" on, Joe Musgrove, Chris Archer, Zack Grienke, Robbie Ray and virtually all of San Diego's pitchers become primary targets.  Now if we narrow these down even more simply using common sense, it's probably....

Dylan Bundy, Daniel Norris, Danny Duffy, Mike Montgomery, and Chris Archer. 

If we narrow it down even further, the upside ability and buying low have really been narrowed down to just Bundy (because he's 26) and Archer.  Eppler would be familiar with both of them from his time in the AL East.  But for Eppler, the last little piece of the puzzle is him targeting high quality individuals who acclimate themselves well with those around him.  

Chris Archer.....Eppler is going to trade for Chris Archer.  The salary is right in line with what he paid Cahill and Harvey.  As for what Pittsburgh will trade him for.....pitching.  They're really short on pitching prospects. You can probably get him for a pitching prospect with promise in A, A+, or AA.  The Angels won't trade Barria and Suarez in their current situation.  They would offer Patrick Sandoval and the Bucs would be interested but want more than that and likely counter with Chris Rodriguez.  But remember, Eppler and upside.  He won't want to part with Chris.  But a collection of other guys, which includes Luis Madero, Jeremy Beasley and Andrew Wantz, the Bucs would probably do that. 

So the deal will be, Chris Archer to the Angels for Luis Madero, Jeremy Beasley and Andrew Wantz.