• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Athletics acquire Homer Bailey

1 hour ago, #WeNasty said:

Right.  But since it takes two and prices seem to go up in the days leading up to the deadline why would a selling team trade a guy before he has max value?  Especially when we arguably aren’t looking for a guy like Bailey but probably someone better. 

Again I wasnt suggesting Bailey.... but the why is to improve the changes of the deadline being relevant.  2-3 starts from a better starter versus an opener could be significant to the deadline decision.  
It doesnt matter im certain we will do as you suggest, but I would just like to see them be more aggressive and try to determine the path themselves over waiting for it to come to them.

3 minutes ago, floplag said:

Again I wasnt suggesting Bailey.... but the why is to improve the changes of the deadline being relevant.  2-3 starts from a better starter versus an opener could be significant to the deadline decision.  
It doesnt matter im certain we will do as you suggest, but I would just like to see them be more aggressive and try to determine the path themselves over waiting for it to come to them.

My point is that since we are talking about the Angels buying it isn’t up to the Angels, it is up to the team selling the players.  Why would they trade valuable players now, when if they wait for more of a bidding war they will get a better return?  If you were the GM of the Angels and you were going to trade assets because we were sellers, would you sell now or when their value is at its peak?  

17 hours ago, Blarg said:

He hasn't been the A's General manager for the last 4 years. David Forst took over a year after Beane's genius trade of Cespedes bit him in the ass and the A's finished the next season in last place.

I was out driving and listening to sports radio when the news of the A's trade for Jon Lester broke. The trade bothered me until I heard what Oakland gave up - the heart and soul of the club at the time. As soon as I heard that Cespedes was included in the deal, I knew that they had blown it.

That year the pitching was doing fine, they had already brought in Samardzija. The offense was always one injury away from collapsing. Beane did the same as IL Cespedes for the season, crippling his offense. It's not as though Cespedes was having a Trout type career year, he was a 115 OPS+ hitter but he was replaced by Gentry and Gomes, two guys that couldn't hit water if they fell off the bay bridge. 

6 hours ago, Stradling said:

Personally I give them credit for having the same outcome we had but at the cost of acquiring him.  

Not sure we should be laughing at other teams for their outcome vs. cost...

Homer Bailey may still be getting part of his current contract paid by the Reds and maybe even the Dodgers.

The Dodgers 'obtained' Bailey in the salary dump trade that sent Puig and Matt Kemp to Cincinnati and got Bailey in return.

The Dodgers were so impressed with Bailey's pitching skills, as literally part of the trade they let it be known they he would be DFA'd right away and the whole purpose of the trade was to rid themselves of the contracts of Puig and Kemp.  Bailey went to ST with some team, not sure who -- maybe KC -- and wound up with KC who paid him the minimum this year before trading him to Oakland.   Not sure, but the Bailey trade to LA probably included the Dodgers picking up at least half of his current contract if not more.

Billy Beane has made a lot of smart moves over the years at deadline time -- but I'm thinking this won't be one of them.

I thought Bailey at KC was where he could do the most good at this point -- eating some innings for a team who's main stretch run goal will be NOT to lose 100 games.

Not sure where he fits in with an A's team that has been playing well of late and has a player (3B Chapman) who other teams are going to track for the time when the A's have to do what they do with all the good young players their system develops -- trade him as he nears the end of his club control time.

• 4 weeks later...

Homer Bailey so far with Oakland:

• 6 IP, 2 ER, 0 BB, 6 K vs. Seattle (Oakland victory)
  • 2 IP, 9 ER, 3 BB, 2 K vs. Houston (Oakland loss)
  • 6.2 IP, 3 ER, 1 BB, 7 K vs. Texas (Oakland victory)
  • 6 IP, 2 ER, 3 BB, 5 K vs. Milwaukee (Oakland victory)
  • 4.2 IP, 7 ER, BB, 0 K vs. Chicago Cubs (Oakland loss)
  • 7 IP, 0 ER, BB, 7 K vs. San Francisco (Oakland victory)

So four quality starts that led to four wins, and two absolute disasters.

Edited by totdprods

• 4 weeks later...

2.25 ERA in last 6 starts/36 IP for Bailey. 

Six walks, 34 strikeouts, 29 hits allowed in that time. 

I wouldn’t be upset if the Angels considered him, following another SP acquisition or two, if the expectation was he’d hold down #5 for a couple mil.

Edited by totdprods

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

2.25 ERA in last 6 starts/36 IP for Bailey. 

Six walks, 34 strikeouts, 29 hits allowed in that time. 

I wouldn’t be upset if the Angels considered him, following another SP acquisition or two, if the expectation was he’d hold down #5 for a couple mil.

The A's apparently have some ability to reduce a player's suckage. I would not expect the same results if the Angels signed him. 

He's basically the same player they got from KC:

image.png.bb5941290bea3e79ada31aa99fee9efd.png

At one point prior to his trade, he had 13.2 scoreless inning in back-to-back starts then proceeded to give up 8 ER in his next 15.1.  He'll throw 7 shutout inning (April 13) and then give up 5 ER in 1.2 IP (May 22)...it's who he is.  If he can be had super-cheap next year and we have no other options...then sure, why not, I guess.

42 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

He's basically the same player they got from KC:

image.png.bb5941290bea3e79ada31aa99fee9efd.png

At one point prior to his trade, he had 13.2 scoreless inning in back-to-back starts then proceeded to give up 8 ER in his next 15.1.  He'll throw 7 shutout inning (April 13) and then give up 5 ER in 1.2 IP (May 22)...it's who he is.  If he can be had super-cheap next year and we have no other options...then sure, why not, I guess.

Yup. He’s basically Barria but older, more expensive, and a little more able to scrape out an extra inning or two per appearance.

To clarify, my interest in signing him would be after two better arms (or a top arm and bat) were added, and he was available on something akin to the Miley/Gio deals last year. Talking $2-3m.