• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 MLB Trade Deadline Thread

Fairly modest return from what it looks like.  I understand the one guy is pretty near MLB ready.  The other having a great year.  Angels just didn’t match up I guess.  Maybe they would have bit on Suarez.   But it makes sense that they wouldn’t want to trade him.  The rest of the Angels worthwhile prospects are in the lower parts of the system.  The guy that Toronto got is better then Sandoval. 

I'm getting the feeling our lack of top tier pitching prospects is going to end up hurting us in any trade we try to make for a pitcher.  Suarez is the only one we have in the top 10 and he is very close to graduating.  Has not been impressive in the majors thus far which might turn some heads away. 

My guess is the Mets want to get a really, really great haul for Syndergaard, but teams aren’t biting due to his inconsistencies, and the Mets know they’re going to have to package him with a pending FA like Wheeler to give the acquiring team a crazy ‘19 rotation boost, or packaged with Diaz to get an acquiring team to justify the elite return. 

It boosts Wheeler’s value if a team knows they’re getting two SPs for their stretch run (and maybe an edge at re-signing him) so it’s a smart way to increase his value as he’s only a rental. 

Similarly, Diaz and Syndergaard on their own have some question marks that will give teams pause, but it’s a lot easier to part with top talent if you’re getting both. 

Still i feel like that package was underwhelming for Stroman, the Jay's didn't even get a top 100 propsect, while trading a guy with a moderate salary and an additional year of control.  I would believe that this really helps us, with a guy like Greinke who has a big contract, and even if the D'backs rat most of the money, they'll probably get a moderate return. Than a guy like Ray, who a 3 won't cost much either.

I feel like the angels could've landed Stroman if they had dangled proximity and upside.  Suarez and Jose Soriano seems like it would've been on par if not better than the prospects the Jays got.  I'm not saying the Angels should've done that, but I am surprised that Stroman didn't have more value.  And in seeing the players exchange teams  so far, it doesn't appear any organizations are using their top tier prospects in any deals. 

Looks to me like a bunch of fringe prospects and players are changing teams.  So perhaps those that believe Jose Rojas, Taylor Ward, Jared Walsh, Michael Hermosillo and Pat Sandoval types are what is available from the Angels may be right. 

29 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I feel like the angels could've landed Stroman if they had dangled proximity and upside.  Suarez and Jose Soriano seems like it would've been on par if not better than the prospects the Jays got.  I'm not saying the Angels should've done that, but I am surprised that Stroman didn't have more value.  And in seeing the players exchange teams  so far, it doesn't appear any organizations are using their top tier prospects in any deals. 

Looks to me like a bunch of fringe prospects and players are changing teams.  So perhaps those that believe Jose Rojas, Taylor Ward, Jared Walsh, Michael Hermosillo and Pat Sandoval types are what is available from the Angels may be right. 

I wonder if we are all assuming that the FO is chasing an Ace when they are really searching for a #4 starter who's arm won't fall off.

2 minutes ago, ScruffytheJanitor said:

I wonder if we are all assuming that the FO is chasing an Ace when they are really searching for a #4 starter who's arm won't fall off.

That may be the case, but it just doesn't seem like that's what the Angels need.  At that point, they may as well keep their prospects and roll with Barria and Suarez to allow those two to develop and grow into that role, or become even better than that. 

I know we're all talking about being buyers, but quietly, I see a few opportunities for the Angels to sell a couple pieces...

• Justin Bour, who's hit .299/.417/.694/1.111 in AAA/MLB since his initial demotion, swatting 14 HR in 40 games, drawing 28 walks against 29 strikeouts. 
  • Depending on how the Angels pitching buying goes, Trevor Cahill, who has a 3.86 ERA since his bullpen demotion, striking out 16 in 18.2 IP....
  • Almost certainly, Kevan Smith or Dustin Garneau are being shopped, as both are out of options and one will be cut loose when Lucroy returns. Teams always need catching for the stretch run, and our recent acquisitions of Thole and Bemboom hint that Eppler coupld be prepping to deal one. 
  • For that same reason, Jonathan Lucroy could also be getting some calls.
  • ...or even Brian Goodwin, who cooled in May, has righted the ship, hitting .293/.333/.511/.844 over his last 99 plate appearances, ranging from 5/29 to 7/28.

We won't get much, but moving some of them could clear salary (Lucroy, Cahill, Bour) allowing the Angels to take more salary back (Greinke?) without creating any holes on the team, and even Martin Maldonado fetched us Patrick Sandoval last year.

All of these guys have a specific skill that could help a playoff team's bench or bullpen. 
Bour has massive lefty-power, catchers are always needed, good 4th OFs are always needed, and multi-inning RPs can really help a team avoid burnout.

Edited by totdprods

8 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I know we're all talking about being buyers, but quietly, I see a few opportunities for the Angels to sell a couple pieces...

• Justin Bour, who's hit .299/.417/.694/1.111 in AAA/MLB since his initial demotion, swatting 14 HR in 40 games, drawing 28 walks against 29 strikeouts. 
  • Depending on how the Angels pitching buying goes, Trevor Cahill, who has a 3.86 ERA since his bullpen demotion, striking out 16 in 18.2 IP....
  • Almost certainly, Kevan Smith or Dustin Garneau are being shopped, as both are out of options and one will be cut loose when Lucroy returns. Teams always need catching for the stretch run, and our recent acquisitions of Thole and Bemboom hint that Eppler coupld be prepping to deal one. 
  • For that same reason, Jonathan Lucroy could also be getting some calls.
  • ...or even Brian Goodwin, who cooled in May, has righted the ship, hitting .293/.333/.511/.844 over his last 99 plate appearances, ranging from 5/29 to 7/28.

We won't get much, but moving some of them could clear salary (Lucroy, Cahill, Bour) allowing the Angels to take more salary back (Greinke?) without creating any holes on the team, and even Martin Maldonado fetched us Patrick Sandoval last year.

All of these guys have a specific skill that could help a playoff team's bench or bullpen. 
Bour has massive lefty-power, catchers are always needed, good 4th OFs are always needed, and multi-inning RPs can really help a team avoid burnout.

if the prevailing wisdom is that Calhoun has no value, why would any of these parts have any?   At least not to the levels of the kind of acquisition were talking about. 

7 minutes ago, floplag said:

if the prevailing wisdom is that Calhoun has no value, why would any of these parts have any?   At least not to the levels of the kind of acquisition were talking about. 

Because all teams are trying to acquire arms, catchers get traded a ton at the deadline and Goodwin has been good this year and has control for the next couple of years.  Calhoun you are only trading to a contender in need of a right fielder, that is willing to give you enough back that you sell instead of stay pat and see if you catch lightning in a bottle.  

18 hours ago, Stradling said:

Toronto-“Stroman,  you are heading to NY”

Stroman-“Bitchen”

Toronto-“So report to the Mets at City Field tomorrow”

Stroman-

The New York Metsacquired Marcus Stroman from the Toronto Blue Jays on Sunday, but the right-hander was apparently envisioning a move to the Bronx, not Queens.

Earl Stroman, Marcus' father, said his son assumed he would be traded to either the New York Yankees or Houston Astros prior to the July 31 deadline. When rumors swirled of a trade to the Empire State, Earl said Marcus "was hoping it was the Yankees a little bit," according to Steven Marcus of Newsday.

16 minutes ago, floplag said:

Since when does Calhoun not have value? I will say that I don't think giving him up is worth what we'd get back...

Also, the point of those guys above isn't really what we'd get back...it'd be getting them off roster/off payroll to allow us to eat salary in a buying deal, or to recoup some fringe prospects to give us depth anywhere we might deal from in our pursuit for help. 

And again, Martin Maldonado got us Patrick Sandoval. Cash got us Adrian Rondon. Joe Smith got us Jesus Castillo. David Hernandez got us Luis Madero. 

Edited by totdprods

3 hours ago, Lou said:

The New York Metsacquired Marcus Stroman from the Toronto Blue Jays on Sunday, but the right-hander was apparently envisioning a move to the Bronx, not Queens.

Earl Stroman, Marcus' father, said his son assumed he would be traded to either the New York Yankees or Houston Astros prior to the July 31 deadline. When rumors swirled of a trade to the Empire State, Earl said Marcus "was hoping it was the Yankees a little bit," according to Steven Marcus of Newsday.

2D99436C-D83E-4007-BDF6-35F9AF77E570.jpeg.75ccdc8966b0b08735c89e55b15d6ddd.jpeg