• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 MLB Trade Deadline Thread

As Fletcher pointed out in his midseason report, it really comes down to how well the Angels do over the next couple weeks. If they go on a tear, you consider bringing in a pitcher - not sure who or how, but the rotation is obviously the weak spot.

But I think the big question will be Calhoun. If the Angels continue at .500 or below, he could be traded - if Eppler can get something decent for him, say a B/B+ caliber prospect (e.g. Jose Suarez type). Goodwin is another possibility, but not sure when he'll be back.

Here's another thought. What if the Angels don't improve, but Matt Harvey has a few really good starts. Maybe Eppler can at least shed a few million for a fringe prospect.

5 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

As Fletcher pointed out in his midseason report, it really comes down to how well the Angels do over the next couple weeks. If they go on a tear, you consider bringing in a pitcher - not sure who or how, but the rotation is obviously the weak spot.

But I think the big question will be Calhoun. If the Angels continue at .500 or below, he could be traded - if Eppler can get something decent for him, say a B/B+ caliber prospect (e.g. Jose Suarez type). Goodwin is another possibility, but not sure when he'll be back.

Here's another thought. What if the Angels don't improve, but Matt Harvey has a few really good starts. Maybe Eppler can at least shed a few million for a fringe prospect.

the simpsons dreaming GIF

7 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

honestly though, I think he's got a much better chance to recoup some value as a reliever but I agree it's not time to totally give up on the season.  

5 minutes ago, #WeNasty said:

We won’t be sellers.  

if we play .500 for the next two weeks and with other teams ahead of us surging, we'll likely be 9-10 games back of the 2nd WC with a 3-4 teams ahead of us.  At that point, we really should be sellers.  Really though, there isn't much to sell.  

8 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

if we play .500 for the next two weeks and with other teams ahead of us surging, we'll likely be 9-10 games back of the 2nd WC with a 3-4 teams ahead of us.  At that point, we really should be sellers.  Really though, there isn't much to sell.  

Yep, this.

The potential trade chips before the season were:

Harvey - sucked

Cahill - sucked

Allen - sucked, then released

Garcia - sucked

Bour - sucked

La Stella - surprise year, but injured

Goodwin - strong start but come back to norms; injured

Calhoun - good year

Various relievers - better than expected, worth keeping

Skaggs - RIP

So we're really only left with Calhoun as a viable trade chip. 

11 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Oh, I would start selling off Calhoun and most of the bullpen between now and the deadline.  They just won’t.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see us pick up a starter that can be around next year as well.  Or give up very little for a guy like Archer and see if they can fix whatever is broken, and try to resign him.

9 minutes ago, #WeNasty said:

Oh, I would start selling off Calhoun and most of the bullpen between now and the deadline.  They just won’t.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see us pick up a starter that can be around next year as well.  Or give up very little for a guy like Archer and see if they can fix whatever is broken, and try to resign him.

Why would you sell off most of the bullpen? The saleable parts are all worth keeping. 

I know there's this idea that bullpen's are easy to assemble, and certainly it is easier to find a clean peanut reliever than starter, but on the other hand this seems like the best bullpen they've had in years.

Buttrey and Robles have been elite relievers. Anderson, Bedrosian, and N Ramirez have all been good. Cole is decent; Felix Pena is more of a "post-opener starter" and Garcia has no value. Middleton has been injured but at least belongs in the Anderson-Bedrosian-Ramirez group. 

While I have some questions about WAR for pitchers, I do think it is very useful for relievers as it directly measures dominance (e.g. strikeout and walk rates). Of 169 qualifying major league relievers, here is where the Angels relievers rank (I've also included contract status)

10. Buttrey 1.2 (pre-arb 2020, arb 21-24, fa in 25)

20. Robles 0.9 (arb 2020-21, fa in 22)

42. Anderson 0.6 (pre-arb 2020, arb 21-24, fa in 25)

66. Bedrosian 0.4 (arb 2020-21, fa in 22)

(Cole is also 0.4, but only 19.2 IP - he's pre-arb 2020-21, arb 22-24, fa in 25)

88. N Ramirez 0.2 (pre-arb 2020, arb 21-23, fa in 24)

113. F Pena 0.1 (pre-arb 2020, arb 21-23, fa in 24)

167. Garcia -0.5  (arb 2020, fa in 21)

Middleton (arb 2020-23, fa in 24)

Notice the pattern? Club control - and for many of them several years.

At the very least you keep Buttrey and Middleton (injured). I'd also like to see them keep Robles, but he's got significant value so I suppose you dangle him. Who knows, maybe the Rays get desperate and offer Wander Franco (just kidding). I'd also like to see them hold onto Anderson. Bedrosian, Cole, and N Ramirez I'd be OK trading, but not sure what value they have. Some, but not a lot. F Pena is tricky, because he's actually a solid innings eater, which is very useful - but he hasn't been all that great and could be replaced by Barria next year.

6 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Yep, this.

The potential trade chips before the season were:

Harvey - sucked

Cahill - sucked

Allen - sucked, then released

Garcia - sucked

Bour - sucked

La Stella - surprise year, but injured

Goodwin - strong start but come back to norms; injured

Calhoun - good year

Various relievers - better than expected, worth keeping

Skaggs - RIP

So we're really only left with Calhoun as a viable trade chip. 

I could see us putting most of those guys on the front lawn, maybe selling Allen early on and thinking it will go better than expected, but when the sun is going down, throwing most of them away except putting la stella back in the garage and vowing to get him fixed someday, then spending our sunday relaxing.

6 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Why would you sell off most of the bullpen? The saleable parts are all worth keeping. 

I know there's this idea that bullpen's are easy to assemble, and certainly it is easier to find a clean peanut reliever than starter, but on the other hand this seems like the best bullpen they've had in years.

Buttrey and Robles have been elite relievers. Anderson, Bedrosian, and N Ramirez have all been good. Cole is decent; Felix Pena is more of a "post-opener starter" and Garcia has no value. Middleton has been injured but at least belongs in the Anderson-Bedrosian-Ramirez group. 

While I have some questions about WAR for pitchers, I do think it is very useful for relievers as it directly measures dominance (e.g. strikeout and walk rates). Of 169 qualifying major league relievers, here is where the Angels relievers rank (I've also included contract status)

10. Buttrey 1.2 (pre-arb 2020, arb 21-24, fa in 25)

20. Robles 0.9 (arb 2020-21, fa in 22)

42. Anderson 0.6 (pre-arb 2020, arb 21-24, fa in 25)

66. Bedrosian 0.4 (arb 2020-21, fa in 22)

(Cole is also 0.4, but only 19.2 IP - he's pre-arb 2020-21, arb 22-24, fa in 25)

88. N Ramirez 0.2 (pre-arb 2020, arb 21-23, fa in 24)

113. F Pena 0.1 (pre-arb 2020, arb 21-23, fa in 24)

167. Garcia -0.5  (arb 2020, fa in 21)

Middleton (arb 2020-23, fa in 24)

Notice the pattern? Club control - and for many of them several years.

At the very least you keep Buttrey and Middleton (injured). I'd also like to see them keep Robles, but he's got significant value so I suppose you dangle him. Who knows, maybe the Rays get desperate and offer Wander Franco (just kidding). I'd also like to see them hold onto Anderson. Bedrosian, Cole, and N Ramirez I'd be OK trading, but not sure what value they have. Some, but not a lot. F Pena is tricky, because he's actually a solid innings eater, which is very useful - but he hasn't been all that great and could be replaced by Barria next year.

pretty much every potential playoff team is gonna be looking for pen help.  More than usual actually.  

I would sell Robles and Bedrosian for solid haul in a heartbeat.  Especially the latter.  

I think Robles could get you an arm with front of the rotation upside plus a throw in pen arm.  Bedrosian could get you a decent prospect plus a throw in pen arm.  

Eppler got 

Sandoval for Machete
Buttrey for Kinsler
Robles for nothing
Madero for David Hernandez (who he got off waivers)
Robles for nothing.  
Rengifo for Cron

They've got to consider moving these two.  Eppler has tricks.  

I’d be open to moving a reliever, also preferably Bedrosian or Robles, for a plus return if it was offered. Peppers proven to me he can build a pen cheaply and effectively so I wouldn’t be too worried if we flipped one, maybe even two. Especially if he has big plans to add to the rotation before 2020. It opens up some spots for Pena and Ramirez if they get bumped from rotation.

Felix Pena actually strikes me as a guy who could get some interest too, especially if he rights the ship before the deadline. A team like Tampa, whose pitching staff is hurting and has a deep farm, could be interested in his versatility and low salary.

Edited by totdprods

17 hours ago, #WeNasty said:

We won’t be sellers.  

LaStella would have been one of the better trade chips. Goodwin and Calhoun still can be. Harvey and Cahill trade value is non existent. I'd see if anyone is looking for a left handed bench bat in Bour, but I doubt anyone bites. Really tough spot but the next few weeks will clear things up.

A couple weeks of decent performance from either Cahill or Harvey could spark someone taking them for the rest of the year. We'd probably have to eat some money in any deal, and wouldn't get shit back for prospects, but it could happen. 

And if Eppler does free up some cash in those deals, however minimal, it wouldn't surprise me if he either went hard after some waiver claims/dealt for cash considerations to audition folks in August or September, or use some freed up salary to take on the contract of someone with 2020 in mind.

7 minutes ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

Trade Calhoun to San Diego for Wil Myers, relieving the Padres of Myers' contract, and target catcher Austin Allen and/or a pitching prospect.

Myers can share first base with Pujols, and be the 4th outfielder behind Upton, Trout, and Adell.

Wil Myers?

Hell no.