• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 MLB Trade Deadline Thread

56 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I will say this tho.  Eppler cannot fail to get 2 good pitchers this offseason. An important part of the GM thing is winning players in an competitive open market.  So far, he has not done well with that.  I’m not willing to shrug about miserable failure again next season. 

It will be extremely disappointing if the Angels aren’t winners next year.  

super troopers yes GIF by Fox Searchlight

44 minutes ago, Duren, Duren said:

The best thing for the Angels is if Cole has a terrible finish to the year and/or sucks in the playoffs.

Lowers his value, puts doubt in buyers, opens questions about whether he is clutch down the stretch. 

The last image or memory often over rides the more comprehensive analysis. Emotion over reason. 

At the asking price we assume he will demand, some fear may enter the equation.

From the Angels point of view, they aren't looking for an immediate savior. They aren't one of the few elite teams who expect to win next year.

The Angels need a consistent very good starter to anchor the rotation (along with Ohtani, ideally in the next year or two). They can have more patience integrating Cole into a lineup that is slowly, but methodically building for elite status in a couple of years. 

Pay him good money, give him term, sit back and let the rotation come together over the next couple of years. 

In the current Baseball Digest they have a long interview with Trout. He constantly mentions being happy living in SoCal, lasting friendships, and trust the organization is moving forward to elite status. 

Sell Cole on that premise, since he already has a comfort zone with location. Let Trout be a team ambassador/recruiter as much as possible within the rules. He's the best promo man in the organization.

I highly doubt one, two to three month stretch is going to scare buyers away from Cole, but I agree with most of the rest of your post. 

1 hour ago, Lou said:

Honest question, which elite free agent starting pitchers have the Yankees (or dodgers) signed lately? 

You made me look. Pretty much none.

Dodgers signed Ryu and Urias in, wait for it, 2012! They signed Maeda in 2016. Obviously none of those are your typical FA's and only Ryu has put up one year of elite status.

Yankees signed Tanaka in 2014. Re-signed JA Happ (not elite) in 2019. 

It's been awhile.

5 minutes ago, robblin17 said:

You made me look. Pretty much none.

Dodgers signed Ryu and Urias in, wait for it, 2012! They signed Maeda in 2016. Obviously none of those are your typical FA's and only Ryu has put up one year of elite status.

Yankees signed Tanaka in 2014. Re-signed JA Happ (not elite) in 2019. 

It's been awhile.

So they're due!

boy, if you're an Astros fan, you have to be thrilled by this. Imagine facing that rotation for the next three or four years.

but they're not going to be able to afford to keep Cole. because of that, the angels need to be all in on him. no matter what anyone else offers him, be the highest bidder. if the angels want to get out of this run of mediocrity, Cole is the kind of guy who moves this team up significantly.

cole, Ohtani, canning - that's a solid trio.