• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 MLB Trade Deadline Thread

8 hours ago, totdprods said:

I know we're all talking about being buyers, but quietly, I see a few opportunities for the Angels to sell a couple pieces...

• Justin Bour, who's hit .299/.417/.694/1.111 in AAA/MLB since his initial demotion, swatting 14 HR in 40 games, drawing 28 walks against 29 strikeouts. 
  • Depending on how the Angels pitching buying goes, Trevor Cahill, who has a 3.86 ERA since his bullpen demotion, striking out 16 in 18.2 IP....
  • Almost certainly, Kevan Smith or Dustin Garneau are being shopped, as both are out of options and one will be cut loose when Lucroy returns. Teams always need catching for the stretch run, and our recent acquisitions of Thole and Bemboom hint that Eppler coupld be prepping to deal one. 
  • For that same reason, Jonathan Lucroy could also be getting some calls.
  • ...or even Brian Goodwin, who cooled in May, has righted the ship, hitting .293/.333/.511/.844 over his last 99 plate appearances, ranging from 5/29 to 7/28.

We won't get much, but moving some of them could clear salary (Lucroy, Cahill, Bour) allowing the Angels to take more salary back (Greinke?) without creating any holes on the team, and even Martin Maldonado fetched us Patrick Sandoval last year.

All of these guys have a specific skill that could help a playoff team's bench or bullpen. 
Bour has massive lefty-power, catchers are always needed, good 4th OFs are always needed, and multi-inning RPs can really help a team avoid burnout.

18 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Watch the Trevor Bauer market gents...the Angels just might make a push ;)

If they are getting creative, we might see something like Calhoun plus cash, Sandoval and Marsh.

I also think there's a greater chance the Angels are in on Bauer than many would think. 

Also think the year-to-year contract plan, if he's serious, isn't as negative an aspect as folks make it out to be.

9 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I also think there's a greater chance the Angels are in on Bauer than many would think. 

Also think the year-to-year contract plan, if he's serious, isn't as negative an aspect as folks make it out to be.

Really?  So you give up at least 3 guys with 15 plus years of control for a guy that has said he isn’t interested in signing a long term deal.  Oh and Cole hates him.  

1 minute ago, tdawg87 said:

Thank you!

Sorry I wasn’t sure if you were joking or not.  You are on here a lot like I am on here a lot and I had seen Fletcher post the link a couple of times to a USA Today article.  Figured you had seen it.  

43 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Watch the Trevor Bauer market gents...the Angels just might make a push ;)

If they are getting creative, we might see something like Calhoun plus cash, Sandoval and Marsh.

i realize we are somewhat desperate, but that is in my view a huge overpay.  I see no sense in it unless we were making a run this season, were not.

I wouldnt be surprised if we were in on Bauer, just because i think Cole might be a bit of a pipe dream.    I know i know were on the short list blah blah blah... but if there is anyone else on that list, which there surely will be, we will still need to show him the money.  

49 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

this is how I feel about Bauer.  

@Stradling That's how I view it too. But he keeps popping up in headlines, so either there's some substance to this, or the media is just trying to make it true. Tito was clearly pissed at him for hucking the ball over the CF wall (an impressive throw) the Indians don't like his comments he makes to reporters or on social media, and a report just came out this morning from Morosi, who doesn't suck as much as others stating that the Indians are very tempted to trade him right now. Not only that, but Bauer is the poster child for driveline which is what Doug White was heavily involved in, so there's a connection there. Also, Bauer is basically what the most accurate comp for Canning is. Similar stuff, similar size,, both highly intelligent, grew up in the same area, attended the same college with the same coaches....obviously Canning is more measured in his speech to others though.

So no little birdy @tdawg87 unless you consider Twitter to be that birdy. But signs seem to point toward him coming available, perhaps after the season and the Angels being a fit.

But if I'm the Indians, no I don't trade Bauer in the middle of a tight race. Sends the wrong message to fans.

As for the offer, I think it's what Cleveland would be looking for. Calhoun slots into their outfield and some money would help find his option next year that they would want to pick up. Sandoval would serve as pitching depth for a team that will need it if they start trading away pitchers. And Marsh is the piece that makes this a long term benefit for the Indians. 

For the Angels, they need both innings and upside. Bauer gives them both and is controllable through next year. When it comes time for free agency, it probably doesn't hurt that he's a So-Cal native though the amount that helps is also uncertain. And based on the salary he will make in arbitration next year, the Angels would likely still be able to afford an additional starter that gives them innings.

Edited by Second Base