• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 MLB Trade Deadline Thread

13 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I think that says more about Bauer than anything.  

Maybe, but this is also a team that felt they were in such a good position this offseason that they could let guys like Brantley walk while trading Encarnacion and actively shopping Kluber. I understand their logic but, in my opinion, when you are in a great position to win a world series you leverage your roster to put yourself in even better position, you don't make moves to try and extend your window, but that's just me.

2 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Maybe, but this is also a team that felt they were in such a good position this offseason that they could let guys like Brantley and Encarnacion walk while actively shopping Kluber. I understand their logic but, in my opinion, when you are in a great position to win a world series you leverage your roster to put yourself in even better position, you don't make moves to try and extend your window, but that's just me.

Move makes sense for the future but yeah, I’m a bit puzzled How this does any good this year. Specially letting go of one of their best pitchers during a playoff run. Down the road it could work out, but this year is a bit confusing. 

12 minutes ago, REDneck said:

So would a comparable Angel package of Calhoun,Thaiss,Suarez,Sandoval and a low level minor leaguer be equivalent?

I would say that calhoun is even with Puig
Trammel is more highly regarded than Marsh so it would have cost a bit more than him so maybe add Sandoval, Deveaux or Knowles.  Then another one of those three plus a low level intl guy like Uceta or Rivas.  

So Calhoun, Marsh, Sandoval, Knowles, and Uceta.  

again, Bauer has a career era just a little below 4 and he's pitching to that this year.  He's also only controlled for 1 more year which means you have to figure out how to sign him long term to make it worth it and he's already said he's going year to year.  Even if he doesn't, it makes negotiations challenging.  It doesn't seem like a ton to give up but the lack of control and Bauer's oddness make this a hard no for me.  

20 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Move makes sense for the future but yeah, I’m a bit puzzled How this does any good this year. Specially letting go of one of their best pitchers during a playoff run. Down the road it could work out, but this year is a bit confusing. 

Indians..  ERA+ of 127.  OPS+ of 94.    They clearly believe they needed that offense in a big way

the other thing to keep in mind is that the NL central is way more up for grabs.  Bauer could actually make the Reds a contender in that division with a couple additional minor moves.  They've also put a huge dent in their farm and are 6 games below .500.  They're essentially giving themselves a shot at winning the division for 1 year.  

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

the other thing to keep in mind is that the NL central is way more up for grabs.  Bauer could actually make the Reds a contender in that division with a couple additional minor moves.  They've also put a huge dent in their farm and are 6 games below .500.  They're essentially giving themselves a shot at winning the division for 1 year.  

They’re 7.5GB I don’t think they make it this year 

4 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

If everything falls apart next year they might be able to restock that farm just trading those three SPs and their closer.

Edited by Inside Pitch

7 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

If everything falls apart next year they might be able to restock that farm just trading those three SPs and their closer.

true.  although I don't think they get back what they've given up over the last several months and they still suck.  Albeit they're underachieving relative to their run differential but that's another conversation.  They do have some money to spend it seems so we'll see.  But it could end up that they used a ton of assets for a single year run and that assumes next year is that year.  If the Angels did what they've done, I think they're be some pretty unhappy people around here. 

13 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

true.  although I don't think they get back what they've given up over the last several months and they still suck.  Albeit they're underachieving relative to their run differential but that's another conversation.  They do have some money to spend it seems so we'll see.  But it could end up that they used a ton of assets for a single year run and that assumes next year is that year.  If the Angels did what they've done, I think they're be some pretty unhappy people around here. 

Not at all saying they would be and to get it all back at all ... I see it pretty much the way you do...   Not sure what they are thinking putting so much into a 1 year window that might only be a 6 month window of baseball between now and next July 31st ... But they really could go into the deadline next year, sell off and try to get some of it back...

Would be a trip

Oh, if the Angels did what they have done, I'd be watching a lot more football.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Nary a word in Twitterworld on Angels' involvement in any trade talks, so they're either standing pat (aside from maybe a minor sell of Goodwin/Lucroy) or doing the Angel thing by operating radio silence. 

I'm not expecting much today. Prices seem skyhigh and Eppler is probably content swinging a trade for a #2-#3 this winter when prices drop off a bit. But I do expect a trade before 2020 to address pitching, plus a FA signee.

Seeing what Martin got the Rangers, I'm hoping they sell high on a reliever, TBH.

Edited by totdprods

9 minutes ago, Stradling said:

He probably has a couple of offers out there where if in the last hour prices drop the other team accepts it.  Sucks because I want to see a trade for a solution. Even a bandaid that turns into a solution is fine. 

That's what I've suspected for the last couple weeks...he's in on Bauer, Ray, Stroman, Smith, Boyd, Bundy, Archer, DeSclafini, Syndergaard, other #2-#3 arms with control, and he's holding firm offering up three or four of...

• one of Ward/Thaiss/Walsh/Rojas
  • one of Yan/Soriano, or two of our lesser-prized A/A+ pitchers
  • one of Lund/Hermosillo/Jones/Martinez
  • one of our Rookie level/Burlington bats (Knowles, Soto, Adams, Deveaux, Jackson, Maitan, Rondon)
  • Brandon Marsh as a top piece, cancelling out one or two others
  • one of our MLB-ready SPs, Barria, Suarez, or Sandoval, if there's an excess of pitching value coming back (i.e., someone like Boyd with multiple years of control, two SPs, or a reliever also returning)

Once selling teams see they aren't getting top asking price, they could look back at this and see it as the best they'll get. 

And if no one bites, Eppler will be fine keeping everyone and trying again in the winter.

Edited by totdprods

18 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Nary a word in Twitterworld on Angels' involvement in any trade talks, so they're either standing pat (aside from maybe a minor sell of Goodwin/Lucroy) or doing the Angel thing by operating radio silence. 

We may well stand pat.....With Smith maybe hurt again, not sure they'll trade Lucroy, although I don't think it would be a killer to trade him if the offer is decent (mid-level prospect probably)....I'd probably rather keep Goodwin....Upton has been scuffling and Goodwin would be a nice back up plan for Adell if we don't exercise Calhoun's option....

19 minutes ago, totdprods said:

That's what I've suspected for the last couple weeks...he's in on Bauer, Ray, Stroman, Smith, Boyd, Bundy, Archer, DeSclafini, Syndergaard, other #2-#3 arms with control, and he's holding firm offering up three or four of...

• one of Ward/Thaiss/Walsh/Rojas
  • one of Yan/Soriano, or two of our lesser-prized A/A+ pitchers
  • one of Lund/Hermosillo/Jones/Martinez
  • one of our Rookie level/Burlington bats (Knowles, Soto, Adams, Deveaux, Jackson, Maitan, Rondon)
  • Brandon Marsh as a top piece, cancelling out one or two others
  • one of our MLB-ready SPs, Barria, Suarez, or Sandoval, if there's an excess of pitching value coming back (i.e., someone like Boyd with multiple years of control, two SPs, or a reliever also returning)

Once selling teams see they aren't getting top asking price, they could look back at this and see it as the best they'll get. 

And if no one bites, Eppler will be fine keeping everyone and trying again in the winter.

I'm thinking the final deal for Thor, Boyd or Ray starts with Brandon Marsh.

It'd have to look like: Marsh, Ward, Yan, (two lesser A pitchers), Jones, Rondon, Barria. 

Jesus that's a massive package... But i'd still do it.

2 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I'm thinking the final deal for Thor, Boyd or Ray starts with Brandon Marsh.

It'd have to look like: Marsh, Ward, Yan, (two lesser A pitchers), Jones, Rondon, Barria. 

Jesus that's a massive package... But i'd still do it.

We're not dealing more than four people for one pitcher. Three is probably the cap. Our depth can't take the quantity hit like that.

Edited by totdprods

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

We're not dealing more than four people for one pitcher. Three is probably the cap. Our depth can't take the quantity hit like that.

If there's a smaller risk of us losing Marsh or Thaiss in a deal for Greinke and Ray then I'd jump all over it. I'd rather spend top money for two years with a big reset after 2021 with the prospects we'd still have.

11 hours ago, Dochalo said:

they gave up 

jeter downs (.826 ops in A+ as a 20yo) 2b/SS.  borderline top 100.  dogs #7 prospect
josiah gray - era of 2.00 in 108 ip and 119k at three levels.  just promoted to AA as a 20yo.  Dogs #5 prospect
taylor trammel - #30 prospect in baseball
Shed long
competitive balance pick at the end of round 1.  
Tanner Rainey - 26yo  reliever with a 4 era in 24ip and 37k. 

roark is a FA after the season
wood is a FA after the season
Sonny gray would have been a FA after the season but instead they paid him 40m to stay (looks like a good deal for now).
Bauer has 1 more year of control.  

They've gutted their farm for a bunch of guys who have less than 2 years of control.  

if the Angels did what they did, I would stop being an Angel fan for awhile.  

reds also gave up their #12 prospect Scott Moss - 24yo lefty starter with a 3.44 era in AA.  102ip and 123k.  back to middle potential.  

they're just nuts.  

Will Jeter Downs get a portrait of himself upon retirement?

Cle fleeced both of them in this deal i think.  For all Puigs issues hes still an upgrade to them after serving his latest suspension.
Alas this now hurts other possibilities for guys like Thor as NYM will expect a similar package that i do not think we should pay.

10 hours ago, REDneck said:

So would a comparable Angel package of Calhoun,Thaiss,Suarez,Sandoval and a low level minor leaguer be equivalent?

According to the ol' Baseball Trade simulator, the closest we could have come using those players would have been Calhoun, Thaiss, Suarez, Sandoval, and Jordyn Adams as the 5th player. 

FWIW, Jahmai Jones still has as much value as Jordyn Adams in that simulator, around 10. I think Jones still has value, but not that much.