• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels farm ranked at 21

I wouldn't even try ranking our own farm system not knowing the full strength of every player in relationship to all of the other ball clubs. Most of these rankings are speculation based on incomplete information, sort of a knowledgeable opinion with plenty of error. Which is fine.

What I look at is if the farm system is accomplishing it's main objective and that is make MLB quality players available to the parent club. The last two seasons some of the needs have been met but there are still holes. Canning's promotion has been solid. Fletcher a solid everyday player. Rengifo is a work in progress along with most of the fill in pitchers, both starting and relief.

But, at least, there is a flow of talent reaching the Angels to fill holes where in seasons past the farm provided little to nothing. So if we strip out all of the other clubs and just rank the Angels on a scale of 1-10, I would say 5 years ago the Farm was a 3 while today I would rank it a solid 7. It's glaring weakness are starting pitchers, catchers and 3rd base along with 1st base depth. Those are players the Angels cannot call up and plug them into the roster and be at or above league average. 

It's a far cry better than before.

1 minute ago, Blarg said:

I wouldn't even try ranking our own farm system not knowing the full strength of every player in relationship to all of the other ball clubs. Most of these rankings are speculation based on incomplete information, sort of a knowledgeable opinion with plenty of error. Which is fine.

What I look at is if the farm system is accomplishing it's main objective and that is make MLB quality players available to the parent club. The last two seasons some of the needs have been met but there are still holes. Canning's promotion has been solid. Fletcher a solid everyday player. Rengifo is a work in progress along with most of the fill in pitchers, both starting and relief.

But, at least, there is a flow of talent reaching the Angels to fill holes where in seasons past the farm provided little to nothing. So if we strip out all of the other clubs and just rank the Angels on a scale of 1-10, I would say 5 years ago the Farm was a 3 while today I would rank it a solid 7. It's glaring weakness are starting pitchers, catchers and 3rd base along with 1st base depth. Those are players the Angels cannot call up and plug them into the roster and be at or above league average. 

It's a far cry better than before.

I think something these last several years has taught me is about the importance of having a lot of quality role players and depth. I've generally been more focused on the starting lineup, but yikes, paying millions of dollars each year to plug holes with bad players, trading for players on their way to the glue factory or calling up AAA/A stop gaps and hoping for the best has been what's killed this franchise. Even if none of these guys are stars its great to see guys like Fletcher, Regifo, Goodwin, Puello, and most of the bullpen fill holes that in previous years would have been absolute dumpster fires.

8 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I think something these last several years has taught me is about the importance of having a lot of quality role players and depth. I've generally been more focused on the starting lineup, but yikes, paying millions of dollars each year to plug holes with bad players, trading for players on their way to the glue factory or calling up AAA/A stop gaps and hoping for the best has been what's killed this franchise. Even if none of these guys are stars its great to see guys like Fletcher, Regifo, Goodwin, Puello, and most of the bullpen fill holes that in previous years would have been absolute dumpster fires.

Yep, ignoring the farm has had a much worse impact than the Pujols contract ever possibly could have.  

Its all subjective based on scouting reports and projections, in other words, guesswork.  We all know that, but i do find it funny how everything that doesnt put us where we think they should be is a shit source. 
How are the Ms higher, pretty simple really, 5 top 100s versus 2, not hard to see.  Will they end up being anything, who knows, its why ive never put much stock in the whole farm is everything approach, you are literally shooting craps unless your picking top 3-5.

1 minute ago, floplag said:

Its all subjective based on scouting reports and projections, in other words, guesswork.  We all know that, but i do find it funny how everything that doesnt put us where we think they should be is a shit source. 
How are the Ms higher, pretty simple really, 5 top 100s versus 2, not hard to see.  Will they end up being anything, who knows, its why ive never put much stock in the whole farm is everything approach, you are literally shooting craps unless your picking top 3-5.

You are ignoring the one constant, we have always discredited bleacher report.  

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

You are ignoring the one constant, we have always discredited bleacher report.  

You have, not we.  
The article isnt hard to see why he rated them how he did.  its a volume game to him, add up the numbers kick out a spreadsheet.  Whether or not hes right well see in a few years but any logic suggests that a team with twice the top 100 guys has a better farm. 
Its just one mans opinion, nothing more. 

Just now, floplag said:

You have, not we.  
The article isnt hard to see why he rated them how he did.  its a volume game to him, add up the numbers kick out a spreadsheet.  Whether or not hes right well see in a few years but any logic suggests that a team with twice the top 100 guys has a better farm. 
Its just one mans opinion, nothing more. 

Ok I have, as have most people on here.  So you haven’t, which is fine.  I’m still willing to bet we have more major league talent in our farm than they do.  

22 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

How are the Mariners # 5? What kind of soy boy beta cuck stuff is that?

It's not #5, but it's not nearly as bad as you all seem to think it is.

Evan White is either just outside the Top 100 list or just inside the Top 100 list depending on where you look. That would give us 6 in the Top 100.

Kelenic, Rodriguez, Gilbert and Justin Dunn are climbing while Sheffield is likely falling ....

They could all bomb out ... but it is what it is.

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Ok I have, as have most people on here.  So you haven’t, which is fine.  I’m still willing to bet we have more major league talent in our farm than they do.  

Most people dismiss anything they dont agree with, i dont, i like to read opposing views makes me think, but no matter...
I would say you need to define talent, every day regulars or above average players?   I think you are probably right but the ratings looks for impact over solid so if a team has more potential impact in the top 10 they will get rated higher even if another team has a list full of ML regular players.

Just now, Stradling said:

In your opinion which source is consistently the most accurate?  

Accurate at scouting tools or predicting future success?  Because there is a rather significant difference.

Baseball Prospectus has been very good at projecting actual performance -- Fangraphs has of late as well.  They were one of the few talking up David Fletcher as a legit MLB player while not singing his praises tools/prospect wise.  Sickles has a pretty good track record.  Tony Blengino doesn't put out prospect stuff anymore but when he did he was second to nobody.  The very BEST I think I've seen online was Kevin Goldstein, dude was nails.  He went from doing his own stuff to BBProspectus, to BBA, to the Astros -- last I saw he was their head of scouting. 

It's no real surprise the Astros have drafted/traded as well as they have -- KG could spot tools and project future performance like few others.

3 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Accurate at scouting tools or predicting future success?  Because there is a rather significant difference.

Baseball Prospectus has been very good at projecting actual performance -- Fangraphs has of late as well.  They were one of the few talking up David Fletcher as a legit MLB player while not singing his praises tools/prospect wise.  Sickles has a pretty good track record.  Tony Blengino doesn't put out prospect stuff anymore but when he did he was second to nobody.  The very BEST I think I've seen online was Kevin Goldstein, dude was nails.  He went from doing his own stuff to BBProspectus, to BBA, to the Astros -- last I saw he was their head of scouting. 

It's no real surprise the Astros have drafted/traded as well as they have -- KG could spot tools and project future performance like few others.

Where do they have the Angels ranking?  

19 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

This guy called Wilson one of the worst picks in the draft because the Angels need pitching....   So he believes drafting for need is a thing in MLB.  

And yet that's not what he said.

The Los Angeles Angels are extremely thin on quality minor league arms, and the decision to reach for NC State infielder Will Wilson with the No. 15 overall pick did nothing to improve that situation.

The Angel's system has been productive, though outside of Canning and maybe Fletcher and/or Suarez I'm not sure we are seeing anyone who is going to be part of the team long term (people who have recently come up from the minors).. And I'm not sure who on that list you would rate higher. Outside of Adell, the system doesn't seem to have a lot of future all-stars.

2 minutes ago, Ender said:

It's not #5, but it's not nearly as bad as you all seem to think it is.

Evan White is either just outside the Top 100 list or just inside the Top 100 list depending on where you look. That would give us 6 in the Top 100.

Kelenic, Rodriguez, Gilbert and Justin Dunn are climbing while Sheffield is likely falling ....

They could all bomb out ... but it is what it is.

They are definitely better than they have been -- if for no other reason because of the two OFer - they are both legit.   Gilbert is a personal favorite of mine too, but I know some question if he has the out pitch to make it at the highest level.   

I'm not as high on Dunn as others (still like him more than Sheffield), but I just want to see him pitch somewhere other than Arkansas.  Dude is 23, that park tends to help pitchers out a great deal and they play a crazy number of day games that always seemed to mask certain performance issues when it was our AA park.   That park pissed me off when we played there, so that's not a slam on the M's -- it just makes it hard to gauge some guys.   Not unlike our current AAA park.

Ender -- any idea why they have kept guys like Fraley and Williams in AA?   

5 minutes ago, floplag said:

Most people dismiss anything they dont agree with, i dont, i like to read opposing views makes me think, but no matter...
I would say you need to define talent, every day regulars or above average players?   I think you are probably right but the ratings looks for impact over solid so if a team has more potential impact in the top 10 they will get rated higher even if another team has a list full of ML regular players.

Ok, then I wonder who will be the better impact player Adell or Kelenic.  Also there is a chance the Angels system will take a step back because Canning graduated.  When you are talking about 4 or 5 impact guys in the farm, when one graduates it will affect the rankings.  Bottom line is our farm is in much better shape by sheer numbers of future major league players.  We have drafted better and signed the better international players since Eppler and Dipoto have taken their respective roles.  

Stopped at Bleacher Report...but, I will say, we could see a lot of variance in where the Angels farm ranks. It would not surprise me if we took several steps backwards in ranking.

By the end of 2019, there's a good chance we will have graduated a bulk of our Top 10, and that's where our farm really carried the most weight. It was very top heavy. Ward, Thaiss, Canning, Adell, Rengifo, and Suarez all could be settled in the bigs, with Walsh, Buttrey, Hermosillo also graduating. That's nine of our Top 15 (by most accounts) all stepping into the bigs in one year. Rojas could still fit in somewhere too.

For instance, if all those players do graduate, our new Top 10 could look like...
1) Marsh
2) Wilson
3) Sandoval
4) Adams
5) Knowles
6) Paris
7) Soriano
8 ) Kochanowicz
9) Jones
10) Jackson

That's a big change.

Edited by totdprods