• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trout

Mookie Betts has come back to earth and is playing closer to career averages, excluding last season. This is what Trout is up against every season for MVP, that one guy that puts in a career year. Outside of those two seasons where Cabrera was outstanding, there hasn't been anyone repeating their MVP season other than Trout. He is unquestionably the best player in baseball, he's just not always beating out the best fluke year of anyone in baseball any given year. 

This year I don't think there will be anyone catching Trout unless he misses a significant part of the year. Certainly not Mookie Betts, he currently trails David Fletcher in fWar. 

9 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

He's locked in. 4.5 fWAR, just behind Bellinger's 4.6.

Since May 10: .326/.484/.747, 220 wRC+, 10 HR in 124 PA.

Bellinger .362/.455/.705/1.161/ 20HR/  54RBI/  40BB/  37K/ 5.6 bWAR

Trout         .299/.469/.632/1.101/ 17HR/  42RBI/  59BB/ 44K/ 4.4 bWAR

baseball reference vs fangraphs is confusing

Edited by Ace-Of-Diamonds

28 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Mookie Betts has come back to earth and is playing closer to career averages, excluding last season. This is what Trout is up against every season for MVP, that one guy that puts in a career year. Outside of those two seasons where Cabrera was outstanding, there hasn't been anyone repeating their MVP season other than Trout. He is unquestionably the best player in baseball, he's just not always beating out the best fluke year of anyone in baseball any given year. 

This year I don't think there will be anyone catching Trout unless he misses a significant part of the year. Certainly not Mookie Betts, he currently trails David Fletcher in fWar. 

It depends on which flavor of WAR you like, but Donaldson had a pretty consistent 4 year run. His best year happened to coincide with a "bad" Trout year and that's why it seems like it was a career year, but it's certainly consistent with his play in that 4 year stretch. 

Also, Betts had a great year in 2016, too. He's starting to look like an every other year type of guy. I'm not ready to believe he'll never put up another 9 WAR season. Heck, he might do 2 more. 

But, yeah, Trout is the man. He's the standard. He is unchanging. 

I'm a Chargers fan so this is what it was like when Tomlinson was playing. The other running backs changed, Ricky Williams, Priest Holmes, Shawn Alexander, etc. but they were always compared to LT.

20 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

It depends on which flavor of WAR you like, but Donaldson had a pretty consistent 4 year run. His best year happened to coincide with a "bad" Trout year and that's why it seems like it was a career year, but it's certainly consistent with his play in that 4 year stretch. 

Also, Betts had a great year in 2016, too. He's starting to look like an every other year type of guy. I'm not ready to believe he'll never put up another 9 WAR season. Heck, he might do 2 more. 

But, yeah, Trout is the man. He's the standard. He is unchanging. 

I'm a Chargers fan so this is what it was like when Tomlinson was playing. The other running backs changed, Ricky Williams, Priest Holmes, Shawn Alexander, etc. but they were always compared to LT.

1 hour ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Bellinger .362/.455/.705/1.161/ 20HR/  54RBI/  40BB/  37K/ 5.6 bWAR

Trout         .299/.469/.632/1.101/ 17HR/  42RBI/  59BB/ 44K/ 4.4 bWAR

baseball reference vs fangraphs is confusing

I tend to ignore Baseball Reference's WAR. Too many crazy outliers, which to me weakens it.

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

Springer's numbers were pretty impressive until he went on the IL. If he comes back and continues where he left off, he will probably be the only one who can challenge Trout for MVP. 

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

Reference the last part. The last 2 years i cant argue trout should have been mvp. That said, its only because he missed time. Injury in 17, personal in 18. Prior to both he was at least runner up.

Like you said above, one of the biggest differences is finally having lineup depth around him.

46 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Betts seems to alternate great years with merely good ones. Still an overall great player, but he's no Mike Trout (except for last year...when he was).

Betts is a stud. So is Bellinger, and a decent group of other guys. What makes trout the guy is that his rookie season was his breakout year, and he hasnt slowed since.

Hes turned into a power hitter (a few years ago). But say he "only" maintained hos rookie year profile. Hed "only" be a 30 home run guy, with 30 or more steals a year. Batting .300 (when BA has dropped), playing CF. If he did that the last 7 years, there would still be very few guys to compete with him.

9 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Reference the last part. The last 2 years i cant argue trout should have been mvp. That said, its only because he missed time. Injury in 17, personal in 18. Prior to both he was at least runner up.

Like you said above, one of the biggest differences is finally having lineup depth around him.

It always irks me when people talk about him finishing 4th in MVP voting that year and they fail to mention that he was out for 6 weeks with an injury.